Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

cmb4314

After a long day at work, I've decided to just take a URD.  My IT band is more sore today than it's been thus far, and I just don't want to risk it.  I hate that this happened so close to the end of my training, it's so incredibly frustrating.  I mean, I *can* run on it, but I don't think that I necessarily *should* run on it.

Hopefully I will get something out of the PT appointment on Friday.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Hi all.  I had two crazy days work-wise Monday and Tuesday, so sorry I was MIA.  Monday was a rest day; I took advantage of a break to run on Tuesday, 3.5 @ 8:56.  I slept through my running alarm (4:30am) and barely made it out of bed in time to get to work this morning, so I missed the longer run I wanted to do this morning.  But I managed to run at lunch, 3.5 @ 8:24.  Felt good to go faster than normal.  Yesterday and today were freak warm, spring-like days, so I was happy to get out for anything I could.  Swam after work today, 2000yds in 42:49, and did a leg workout.  Got home from the gym just as a squall line was coming through that will dump a lot of rain and drop the temps 25 degrees, so we're back to winter tomorrow.

Nice runs, everyone!

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Smashy!!!

Nachos, if running in the Adrenalines always give you issues, then why do you keep running in them? Seems to me like its time to can them.

Banshee, the laser is great. My chiro used it on me, and I felt it really sped up the healing process. Apparently, it's really common in animal surgery, but not human for some reason.

Cmb, I hope this ITBS goes away. Unfortunately in my experience, rest never helped. Hopefully Graston on Friday will bring you some relief.

Zoe, get better!

Pux, I don't know who you are referencing. But I'll chime in on your shoe question. You might want to try New Balance. They've also lowered the drop on their traditional trainers. Especially look at the 890 (neutral) and 870 (stability), but again, they've lowered the drop across the board. Also Nike has a shoe, the Zoom Elite, that has a slightly lowered drop.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

CARunningGirl

Bad Ass Mother Runner

delurking - Josh - not sure which LRS you went to but my advise is to stay away from the running room. Gords on center street is my favorite. Also if you want a gait analysis the folks in the running injury clinic at the university are amazing. They will do a full analysis for $400 or something (might be covered by insurance) or they will also do an injury analysis for $125 or so. I had this done for Achilles tendonites and they said that I had been running in the wrong shoes. That I'm not an over pronator and that I should be in neutral shoes. Plus gave me loads of exercises to help where I'm weak. They also often have studies going on. My RP participated in a itbs one and had all that done for free with exercises. She had to go in regularily to chart her progress.

5k - 22:56        10k - 46:13          HM - 1:45:39          FM - 3:57:03

Blog: http://terryruns.wordpress.com/

Rusk Runner

Onemile - TOO funny!

Josh - I agree with cbus.

Cbus - Thanks for the work you put in on the race charts.

cmb - just chill and get ready for the big day.  You are ready and you should just concentrate on getting that ITB ready.

So last night I get out for 14 miles in crazy weather.  DW calls me and needs me to turn around and come home 5.5 into run.  When I turn around I get smacked by 20 to 30 mph headwinds.  Then it starts to rain/sleet/snow.  By the time I got to my office I had to laugh.  11 miles ridiculous weather in the bank and I know I am going to make up the 3 lost miles somewhere in the week.

Woke up at 3:15 and got 6 recovery miles done on the dreadmill.  Watched the replay of the IU game to pass the time.

I will run a real easy 4 or 5 tomorrow.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

onemile

Morning guys.

zoe- hope the Graston helps your shin/calf.

josh - glad the ART made your hip feel better. I had ART for a few weeks for ITBS but it didn't seem to help at all

rollcast - nice job on the spin and short run.

Banshee - nice job on the 8.5 and I had laser for my graston bruises too and it seemed to clear them up so much faster than normal healing time for bruises.

cmb - sorry your ITB is still sore. Hope the PT can help!

Flinders - sounds like you've had a decent week of running so far and nice job on the swim.

CARunningGirl - Hi!

Indiana - that sounds like awful weather last night.  Ugh!

We're having pretty crazy weather here too. On Tuesday it was in the 50s and I wore shorts for my run and now it's 10 degrees with 20 mph winds.  I have 13 with 7 at MP on my schedule for tonight and am planning to do it at the indoor track.

Smashy!!!

Morning Donuts!

I've got a 5 mi tempo run on tap today. Like the other midwesterners, we've got cold temps and pretty hard winds in Central Ohio today. Gonna be fun!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  5 miles for me tonight.

Big headache at work yesterday.  I hate when people try to stab you in the back.  The operative word is try.  haha!

very glad to be working from home today because I don't have to be listening to the BS and drama happening there.

Hope everybody has a great day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Morning Donuts! Late check-in for me. Stayed home today as my youngest fighting a high fever. Doing better today but not 100%. I ran at my usual time this am. Plan was for 9m with a 15min/10min/5min cruise intervals on TM at gym. Only problem with that gym was not open. it was too windy this morning to do that outside with 20-30mph winds with 50mph gusts. Nixxed planed run and just did 3m@MP instead with wind in 8:00, 7:49, 7:49. A little bit of quality better than nothing so it's not a wasted day. Ran in my Ronins for first time and really like this shoe, but rubbed my pinkie toe a bit. Definitely a fast shoe and probably run my upcoming half in them for sure.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

bagopux

Pux, I don't know who you are referencing. But I'll chime in on your shoe question. You might want to try New Balance. They've also lowered the drop on their traditional trainers. Especially look at the 890 (neutral) and 870 (stability), but again, they've lowered the drop across the board. Also Nike has a shoe, the Zoom Elite, that has a slightly lowered drop.

I was referring to you!  You've been annointed.  Congrats!  (Thanks for the input)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Nachos- I have the same thing when I run in my more supportive mizunos but nothing when i just go with the PureFlows.  Its the lower calf, inside, right where the tibia meets the ankle.  I run in the Wave Riders time to time, which are neutral, because they are a little more cushy and sometimes its nice to give my feet a break.  Hopefully the pain goes away.

CMB: Might as well take time off now- the IT band is no fun.

Zoe- feel better

Flinders- hope work calms down for you!  Its going be cold here too starting tomorrow...yuck.

Banshee- never heard of the laser!  Interesting.  I just walked around looking like I got beat up for nothign I guess!

Me - 8 mi with 4 mi at marathon pace.  i forgot my watch today but timed my run overall and came out to the same as last week so I guess I hit the paces.  It was so windy I couldn't really breathe, and even going slow felt like I was racing against a headwind - in both directions, wtf.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

onemile

Question for you guys... How does MP feel for you both in training and on race day?  What is your breathing / effort level like?

bagopux

onemile -- in a race, once i'm good and warmed up (after about 4 miles), MP is pretty effortless.  breathing is often 3:3 (or even lighter) and it takes a good bit of conscious self-control to not go too fast.  if i can get to mile 18 or so like that, i'm in good shape.  past about mile 18-20 it becomes more of a push.  breathing starts to increase to 2:2 (which in training I associate more with tempo or HM/10k pace) and from about mile 23-24 its just a gut check effort.  for training, MP is more variable.  sometimes its a breeze.  sometimes its more of a slog.  depends on a lot of things.  the goal i guess is to keep doing it to the point that there's a high likelihood that on race day it will not be a slog.  slog bad.  breeze good.

braycon

Hey guys and gals - just checking in.  Back from traveling in the Carolinas where I'd hoped to run outside a couple times, but instead ran on a treadmill in an 80 degree hotel closet (although, they considered it a workout room).  Not what I had in mind.  Now it's back to winter here with cold and wind and I'll probably run on the treadmill this evening.  You were right, Indiana, running outside over the weekend was nice.  I miss it already.

Have  a great day!

cmb4314

Morning!  I haven't had a lot of time to check in lately.  Perhaps tonight I will have time for some personals.

Question for you guys... How does MP feel for you both in training and on race day?  What is your breathing / effort level like?

In training, MP feels fast, and it's hard to convince myself that I can go 26.2 miles at that pace.  I usually feel like I'm putting in too much effort for the first mile, but once I settle into a rhythm it feels comfortable and I even find myself going faster than I intended if I don't keep an eye on it.  My breathing stays pretty relaxed (3:3), even on my longest MP runs (which on the Pfitz plan was an 18 mile run, with 14MP at the end of it).   I did find that near the end of the longer runs, my breathing was still controlled but was easily perturbed - when I took a gel and my breathing was disrupted by swallowing and eating, it took a little while before I was back to relaxed breathing.  I was quite tired and ready to be done at the end of the MP runs, but I don't think I was completely spent.

I'm *hoping* that on race day, I feel like I randomly did on a short easy run the week after Christmas, where I basically ran my whole easy run at MP by accident, since it felt so easy that day.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011)