runnit

Marathon Recovery and Base Building (Read 105 times)

freddie.sanchez

The Scrub

My goal for next year is to run a sub 90 minute half marathon. I'm currently training for the Tucson Marathon on December 9th doing Pftzinger's 12/155 plan.

I put together a recovery and build up training plan for after the marathon to get back up to 50 mpw. I tried to follow some of the recommendations found here: http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/marathonrecovery1.shtmlWeeks 1-4 are plain recovery. Week 5 and on is where I start building the mileage back up and throwing in some tempo runs. 

What do you all think of my recovery and mileage build up? What should I change/add?

My first impulse is to say that the build-up is probably more conservative than it has to be; if I were you I would worry about losing some fitness taking that long to get back to normal mileage. I'm not sure how much of that's in my head, though. I think I've read that you don't start losing significant adaptations until somewhere around the 2 week mark, and that might be with *no* running at all. But really I am not knowledgeable enough about the physiology. 

Maybe instead of having a firm post-marathon plan you could take the first couple of weeks by feel. If you are not feeling injured or on the verge of injury, try getting out for an easy 20 minute jog on the second or third day. You might get back to 50mpw quicker than you think. On the day after the race you might feel completely beat up (I definitely did after my marathon) so complete rest might be a good idea; otherwise an easy 20 minutes on the bike (or in the pool) might aid recovery. 

When's your half? Which one are you doing?

freddie.sanchez

The Scrub

I was thinking it maybe too conservative, but this is just a rough idea given from what I read. I will try to play it by ear. I'm hoping to get a cycling trainer from my father in law. I throw in some riding too if I feel like it. 

I have no idea which half to do. I've been looking at ones in AZ in Oct/Nov/Dec 2013, but none have really caught my eye. Any recommendations? 

Cool, the trainer should be a nice supplement to running. I've been doing a little biking the last couple of weeks too. I think it's fine to be a little conservative after a race, but if you're feeling fine after a week or so of recovery then I don't see a problem with increasing mileage more quickly.

No idea about races out west. I'm on the east coast. I'm planning 2 this year: Caesar Rodney in Wilmington, DE (March) and either Philly or the Wicked Half in Salem, MA in September. 

I've never run a marathon before because I'm still in college, so my opinion may not matter...but I think that a week or two off with maybe some cross training would be more beneficial. There shouldn't be any real problem getting your mileage back up training for a half marathon after taking a break, depending on when the race is. My coach FORCES us to take a full week off from running after cross country season, and 2 weeks off from running or crosstraining at the start of summer before we start building mileage again. Its a little tough to get back into mileage for the first week after taking off, but having a good break to recover can be more beneficial than running. Besides, your plan doesn't having you running much after the race anyway...might as well take a week of no running.

freddie.sanchez

The Scrub

..if you're feeling fine after a week or so of recovery then I don't see a problem with increasing mileage more quickly.

No idea about races out west. I'm on the east coast. I'm planning 2 this year: Caesar Rodney in Wilmington, DE (March) and either Philly or the Wicked Half in Salem, MA in September. 

I'll look to increase the miles faster. I was thinking that it was too long to get back to 50 mpw... reason why I asked others to take a look.

Philly looks awesome! FLAT. One thing that I can't seem to find here. Perfect time of the year too. I would love to do that race. Not sure how it would work out with the family.

I would like do have at least 2 races next year I guess one in late spring and one in the fall... or two in the fall??? I don't know. I'm very confused when it comes to which race to take a stab at sub 90. 

Current Half Marthons I'm considering:

Spring:

Phoenix Half - 3/2 -- Phoenix, AZ

San Diego Half - 3/10 -- San Diego, CA

AZ Distance Classic - 3/24 -- Tucson, AZ

Bayshore Half - 5/25 -- Traverse City, MI

Fall:

Lighthouse Half 10/15 -- Traverse City, MI

Everyone Runs TMC/Fleet Feet Half Marathon 11/10 -- Tucson, AZ

Silver Strand Half 11/11-- San Diego, CA

Fiesta Bowl Half 12/2 -- Scottsdale, AZ

freddie.sanchez

The Scrub

I've never run a marathon before because I'm still in college, so my opinion may not matter...but I think that a week or two off with maybe some cross training would be more beneficial. There shouldn't be any real problem getting your mileage back up training for a half marathon after taking a break, depending on when the race is. My coach FORCES us to take a full week off from running after cross country season, and 2 weeks off from running or crosstraining at the start of summer before we start building mileage again. Its a little tough to get back into mileage for the first week after taking off, but having a good break to recover can be more beneficial than running. Besides, your plan doesn't having you running much after the race anyway...might as well take a week of no running.

I have kept this comment in my mind for the last 1.5 weeks which I have taken mostly off. I've only done a 4 mile recovery run on sore legs. I have been feeling worn down. It seems like the lack of sleep that I'm getting is really taking it's toll. I'm hoping to get back into it tomorrow. I feel like a total scrub for not running. I'm seeing everyone putting in miles and I feel left behind.