runnit

Training recap week of 8/6 - /12 (Read 102 times)

mapfe

Wassup?

Last week I hit 25 miles, and overall, it was a great week. I did my first (non-tempo run) speed workout. I did 3x1000s at what I was aiming for for my 5k (22 min pace). I was a little bummed because I felt overextended at that pace and I didn't think I'd hit 22 on my first race (yesterday).

I had no reason to be bummed because I ended up getting 21:46.6 at the 5k. I felt like I definitely could've gone faster too. The weather was almost perfect. It was 66 degrees when I raced, but the humidity was like 80% so I was actually freezing at one point during the race. I ended up getting 12 overall (out of 124) and 1st in my age group (20-29). I unfortunately got beat by two 12 year olds. One girl, one boy- both around 21 minutes. Which is crazy, especially for the 12 y/o girl. Overall, I am really happy with that race!

2014 Goals

Don't die

freddie.sanchez

The Scrub

@mapfe - Nice job on the race. I should have thought you'd crush my estimate. 

My week was pretty good. I felt tired most of the week probably due to lack of sleep. I have to get up damn early in the morning to get my runs in. Finally started passing out at like 8:30-9 and started feeling a little better.

I managed to run 48.2 miles, with 16.25 miles being my long run. Both personal bests. I also came in 4th in the runnit group. I like the competition this group breeds in me. I have an account on Endomondo and I'm apart of some groups there, but no one runs near the mileage that I do. 

3 weeks till the half marathon. I'm getting scared. There are times when I can run 8:45 pace and it feels easy (like yesterday), but then there are times when I'm running 11 min/pace and feel completely drained (like during my long run on Saturday). This big fluctuation in my perceived effort  has to be due to my general fatigue. I think I just need to eat right, sleep more, and just make sure to go into the race well rested.

mapfe: Nice race! Pretty soon you'll be chasing sub-20. I was gonna say, 1000m reps are really tough and I usually struggle to hit my pace on them. I'm not surprised that you felt overextended in the workout and then felt good in the race. Running fast is so much easier in a competitive setting! Long reps in training are mentally taxing.

deds: Wow, you are getting great mileage - so close to 50 last week. I like looking at the group mileage here, too...it helps keep me on track. Anyway, I think you're right about the variations in your pace. You should make sure to taper for the half a little - not as much as you'd need to for a full, but a week or so of reduced mileage will do you a world of good. EDIT: Just looked at your log and your plan for the week before the race looks perfect to me. The only thing I might recommend is a very short and easy run the day beforehand, just to shake your legs out a little. Even 2 miles would be fine.

My week was good. Finally got above 40 miles, which I'm happy about. I have a 5k on Thursday evening so I'm looking foward to that. My 'A' goal is sub-20, but I'd be happy to go under 20:20. I think sub-20 might have to wait until the fall when it's a little cooler out. Also, planning on doing 20 miles on Saturday, just for the hell of it. I haven't done a really long run in a while and I'm going to have a lot of free time, so I'll drive out to some trails and see how it goes.

freddie.sanchez

The Scrub

deds: Wow, you are getting great mileage - so close to 50 last week. I like looking at the group mileage here, too...it helps keep me on track. Anyway, I think you're right about the variations in your pace. You should make sure to taper for the half a little - not as much as you'd need to for a full, but a week or so of reduced mileage will do you a world of good. EDIT: Just looked at your log and your plan for the week before the race looks perfect to me. The only thing I might recommend is a very short and easy run the day beforehand, just to shake your legs out a little. Even 2 miles would be fine.

My week was good. Finally got above 40 miles, which I'm happy about. I have a 5k on Thursday evening so I'm looking foward to that. My 'A' goal is sub-20, but I'd be happy to go under 20:20. I think sub-20 might have to wait until the fall when it's a little cooler out. Also, planning on doing 20 miles on Saturday, just for the hell of it. I haven't done a really long run in a while and I'm going to have a lot of free time, so I'll drive out to some trails and see how it goes.

Thanks for the reassuring words. Not sure I'll be able to get a run in as I'll be traveling that day, but maybe I'll be able to go for a short one before getting going in the morning. 

I'd love to run that fast. My 5k PR right now is 24:05 in 95-100F heat. So, not sure what it'd be if it was cooler. Good luck in your race, and hope the weather gets cold for your race. I'd love to be able to run a 5k at either of those times!

Have fun on the trails. It sounds wonderful.

shelfoo

Training week was good, much better now that I'm not on vacation or having to run around getting stuff ready for vacation Smile

76km last week - getting closer to the 80km number (50 miles).

Put a couple of long runs up, a 17km on Monday and a 22km on Sunday. Wanted the 22 so I could get to 1000km run on the year.

Also fit a longish tempo run in, the rest of it was easy running (more or less).

This week I'm putting a few less miles in while concentrating almost fully on running trails (running 'easy'), my first trail race is coming up way too fast - 16km race on Aug 25th, goal time is 1:36. I'm not sure I can hit that though, would put me in 10th place according to last years results. At the same time, it's only 200m of elevation change, I've averaged 6:15 or so with that kind of change (both gradual and lots of rolling/up and down) in the past on training runs, so what gives?

All business

Pretty good week over here, despite two unplanned rest days. 

Got a fun trail run in Saturday morning with a buddy.  Trails are so much fun.

Also managed a 13 miler Sunday, so I'm feeling better about officially starting to train for a race or two.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy