Senior Grand Masters-60 and Older

Seniors' Miles for Week Ending 11/19/2017 (Read 13 times)

Note regarding the weekly thread—the next six weeks are going to be extremely busy for me and I don't expect to be posting much. Going forward, someone else in the group will need to start the weekly threads.

It was a mixed week for me. On the plus side I covered 16 miles in three runs so I've now gotten comfortable with five-mile efforts. The negative is I decided to skip this morning's four-mile NYRR event in Central Park because the high winds are too much of a hassle for me.

I hope everyone has a good week and a pleasant Thanksgiving holiday!

44.6 miles including the Flying Monkey Marathon today!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Quickadder

33.8 miles in 4 runs. No races this week!

Am now at 1291 miles YTD. Time running out to hit my target of 1500 for the year.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

31.5 miles for me last week in 5 runs.  For some reason I was not feeling very good on any of my runs.  May have something going on like a low level cold, but at least it is not enough to stop me from getting out.  Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US.

Quickadder - I couldn't keep up with you this week. On the plus side, I'm only about 20 miles from my yearly goal.  I should hit it this week.

RunnerKSA - Congrats on the marathon!!

Centex runner

27.2 miles this week which included the half marathon (course is a little long 13.2).   Was a strange week where DW was sick and I was not feeling well - We both took a steady supply of Airborne. The half did not go well. The temperature at the start was in the mid 70's plus very humid. I made the rookie mistake of starting out too fast and not adjusting for the conditions.  First 5 miles averaged 8:30's than the wheels came off and then I started a walk run routine for the rest of the race. I had a hard time getting my breathe. Time was 2:03Tight lippedx so I missed my 2 hour goal. Not happy that I more or less gave up and decided to just finish.  I was shocked and embarrassed to find out that I placed 3rd and I got a real nice award. Anyway, not much time to relax since we have another half on Dec 10th coming up.

Good running everyone!

Nasreddin Hoja

30.1 This week ended 18th

First 30 mile week in a while.  probably Spring sometime. 

Quickadder

The half did not go well. The temperature at the start was in the mid 70's plus very humid. I made the rookie mistake of starting out too fast and not adjusting for the conditions.  First 5 miles averaged 8:30's than the wheels came off and then I started a walk run routine for the rest of the race. I had a hard time getting my breathe. Time was 2:03Tight lippedx so I missed my 2 hour goal. Not happy that I more or less gave up and decided to just finish.  I was shocked and embarrassed to find out that I placed 3rd and I got a real nice award. Anyway, not much time to relax since we have another half on Dec 10th coming up.

Good running everyone!

That sounds exactly like the HM that I ran in February - same temperature, same pace and finish time. Only awards for top 2 in AG at my race though.

My next HM is on December 9th. Will try and set you a sub-2 target.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

You can credit me with 8.5  miles for my WE 11/18 (Sat).

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

My improvement continues towards my WE 11/25. I had a good 4 miler today (Thu). It was under an 11:00 pace and AHR under 130. I'll enter a race soon as the spirit of competition and the camaraderie among runners are fuel for good training.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Centex runner

Hi Rgreen and welcome. Your pace sounds similar to mine. My training miles ( especially at night) usually are progressive (not so much by choice). My first mile is normally just under 12 minute pace but by the time I finish off my 6 mile run I can get my average to be under 11 minutes. Just takes a while for my body to get going.

Hi Centex. I'm not back up to 6 miles yet but it's coming. I've taken extended time off before and rebuilding is always fun. I'm going to race soon as my over sized ego is in check and I can happily race/run a local 5k even if I don't expect to win. If all goes well there may be a late spring 2018 marathon in my plans.