Senior Grand Masters-60 and Older

One mile race (Read 127 times)

#artbydmcbride

So in a fit of craziness, I have registered for the Southern California USA & TF road mile race here in August.

I have never raced a mile, and now I am pretty terrified I will make a fool of myself.    They have several events and I guess I will be running with the 40+ women.

I looked up last year's results and there was only ONE woman in the 60 to 64 division (and none in the 55- 59) and ONE in the 65 to 69

Any tips on how to become a speedy miler in a month and a half?  Clown   or at least not be dead last?

Runners run

old-runner

I wouldn't worry about being last in a race like that. You'll probably beat whoever's running in the 65-69 age group anyway. Are there older age groups as well (if they have any competitors for the older groups)? It looks like you're fast for the 60-64 women anyway... maybe you'll beat some of the young'uns! 

I personally stay away from any races shorter than a 5k. I did run a 1-mile race one time but didn't do that well and decided it wasn't for me. 

#artbydmcbride

"I did run a 1-mile race one time but didn't do that well and decided it wasn't for me. "   this is what I was afraid you would say!  

There is an award for female 55+, but almost no competitors over age 54.     I may have a shot at it....but I still don't want to be the last finisher....   It looks like I have to run better than 7:28

Runners run

You shouldn't have a problem with 7:28, but you will need to practise pacing so you don't go too fast and get into oxygen debt half way!

I find there is a very small area between "not fast enough" and  "too fast " when running the mile.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

#artbydmcbride

Yes, I think running fast and consistently will be my focus.   I plan to run some actual speed workouts on a track <gulp>

Luckily this race is a straight flat point-to -point (air strip)  and not on a track, so no turning required.

I may even buy some fast shoes.  Cool

Runners run

old-runner

Ilene... So how fast was the one woman in the 65-69 age group last year? She (if she's there again) would seem to be the only kind of direct competition for you.