Senior Grand Masters-60 and Older

Seniors' Miles for Week Ending 12/03/2017 (Read 16 times)

Hi all. My week finishes on Saturday. I had a non-productive week, only logging 2 legitimate runs. 7.5 miles is my total.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

I started my week with an easy 3 miler. Actually, all my runs are pretty low intensity. as I retrain I try to maintain slightly under 11:00 a mile and I see both my avg and max HR decreasing almost with every outing.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Quickadder

Four runs this week for a personal best of 43.5 miles. Finished with a ‘double double’ weekend - 18 on Saturday and 10.5 Sunday. Now need to taper ahead of next Saturday’s HM.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Centex runner

34 miles for the week including a 5k race. 5k time was just over 24 minutes and one of my most evenly paced races so pretty happy about it plus placed 1st in AG. Weather was ideal. Now to get ready for the Half coming up next Sunday.

Quickadder - I'm impressed with your training paces and miles - Good luck on your half!

Happy running everyone!

Quickadder

Thanks Centex. I’m still trying to figure out how to get my 5K time below 25 minutes.

Excellent result from your race. Hope your HM next week goes as well.

Quckadder - Great week and good luck with the half.

Centex - Great time on the 5K.  Congrats on the AG award.

34.5 miles for me last week and I finished Nov with 132.4 miles.  I got in a 14 miler on Sat for my LR.  Started this week with a 5 miler this morning.  Close to freezing for the coldest run so far this fall.  Have a great week everyone.

Bobbysteve

Hi Guys,

I haven't posted much since RW shut down, but can see a bit of increased activity recently so will do my part.

I've logged quite a bit this Summer and Fall, but all rather short runs. Lately I've been going longer on 3-a-weeks rather than 5.

I had half of my posterior medial meniscus removed in April, so have been a bit tentative. It had split rather than tear, and I have a feeling it was more from overdoing yoga moves rather than anything else. The doc said I'd never run again, but that didnt prove true.

Anyway, last week was 5,5,8 for 18 miles, and this week was shortened up (trying to control nap time) due to deadlines... 2,3,3 for 8 miles. I knew I was going to go short, so decide to run them all at threshold, as mile intervals.

I have been pessimistic about my potential speed with the knee and all, but clocked 24:10 on Saturday's 3 miler, so maybe there's still something left.

I'm all out of age group podiums now at 69, but next year I'll be 70, so maybe I can hold on to my pace 'til age-up day. ;-)

37.1 miles for the week.  That's enough.  I had a cold and a couple of demands on my time, but I ran every day, so my streak lives on!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Quickadder

I have been pessimistic about my potential speed with the knee and all, but clocked 24:10 on Saturday's 3 miler, so maybe there's still something left.

I'm all out of age group podiums now at 69, but next year I'll be 70, so maybe I can hold on to my pace 'til age-up day. ;-)

BobbySteve, nice to see you here. Lots of the RW Masters around but spread over many different groups here - the Masters Group obviously, but Size 12 is in the Chicago Marathon group, OFR and some others in the Beginners and the Frequent Racers. Unfortunately we seem to have lost the organizers of the RW Masters 60+ map game. I've signed up for the RA game - entitled 2018 in 2018 but that doesn't mean a target of 2018 miles or km - and set myself 1560 miles for 2018 (30mpw). Team sign up runs until later this month and individual sign up a little longer.

Either you have a group of very fast older guys in your area or you are entering the bigger races. A 25Tight lippedx 5K would win the M65-69 at most of the local races around here.

I had a pretty fair Tuesday evening run. 3 miles, 10:08 avg pace. I'm pleased with it.

Bobbysteve, welcome to the crew. You'll see some familiar names here.

Quickadder, excellent progress. Keep up the good work.

Centex, a fantastic outing. I hope I get into the 24's again by spring. I haven't been there in a couple years.

Nasreddin Hoja

23.5 last week

Some people here are crushing it.  I'm not one of them but I feel great so there is that.

Have been trying the new shoes in a varieity of situations and getting more comfortable running without the orthotics.  I'm finfing I feel tired in unfamiliar places, ankles and whatnot.  But delighted to be able to go without them, there was a time when it was painful to walk even a couple of blocks.

Todays run was a mistake.  Should've RDd.  I'd like a 10 or even 12 Sunday and may settle for less.

34.8 miles for me last week.  Ran a 15K race on Sunday in 1:20:34.  Good enough for 3rd AG.  Tough course.  Have run the same race within 1 min of that time for the last 3 years.  At least I'm not loosing time.  5 miler today to start the week.

Bobbysteve - Glad to see you here.  Great progress for you after the surgery.

Centex runner

Congrats Cwschind and Quickadder on your races this weekend!

I ran 32.2 miles for the week ending 12/10.

Sunday I ran a half. Time was 1:52:45 (8:36 pace) which was good for 5th out of 47 in the M65-69. What a difference 30 degrees makes from 2:03:33 HM three weeks ago (mid 70's to 40's). My last years time at this race was 2:05. My miles according to garmin were 8:37, 8:20, 8:34, 8:25, 8:40, 8:58, 8:45, 8:30, 8:29, 8:28, 8:30, 8:26 and 8:28 so I was pleased to hold my pace.

Thinking about running another 5K this weekend plus have 2 HM's in Jan.

Happy running everyone!

Quickadder

Great HM Centex. My first 4 miles were close to your pace, before I settled in to my 9 minute miles for the rest of the way. Cwschind, good race from you too - not a distance I've run but I think I would need a reasonably easy course to match your time.

Looks as though no one started a new thread for this week.

The HM was my only run last week, partly taper, partly wet & cold weather, partly the unexpected snow - possibly the most here in SW Louisiana since 1895 - and a recovery day yesterday. So 13.1 in the log leaves me 109.4 needed to hit my 1500 target for the year.

Not sure what my January race will be - I've run a trail HM the last 2 years and I may run that or upgrade to the 27 miler (for my first ultra!) or run the Louisiana Marathon instead. Definitely a HM in Feb and the Zydeco Marathon on March 4th.

Centex - Great time on the half!  Congrats.

Quickadder - Congrats on your half as well.

Only 15.4 miles for me last week in 3 runs.  Didn't run at all on Fri, Sat or Sun.  Was in NYC for sightseeing.  Saw Christmas sites on Fri. (Macy's, Rockefeller Center, Saks, etc).  On Sat we went to 911 memorial.  Hard to relive those memories, but very well done.  We saw Elf: The Musical on Sat evening.  Got up Sun thinking I would hit the hotel TM, but just stayed in bed.  My wife and I the went over to the High Line for a walk about 10 am.  Left NYC at 1 via train back to Baltimore.  Fun trip and taking the train was easy, although it was crowded and my wife and I didn't get to sit together.  Have a great week everyone.