Senior Grand Masters-60 and Older

Seniors *2018 * Week 2 ending January 14 (Read 12 times)

Quickadder, I enjoyed your Ultra race report last week—a very strong start to the year! I imagine you're in a recovery mode right now and hope all goes well.

Centex runner—good luck at the Houston HM today.

I managed to cover 15 miles this past week including a cold 4 miles this morning when it was 5 degrees with the wind chill. I don't mind the cold so much as spending all the time it takes to get the winter gear on beforehand and then the clean-up afterward. Our coop doesn't allow washers or dryers in individual apartments so it's tricky: you can hand-wash stuff in the sink or head to the building's shared laundry room and hope it's not too busy.

Centex runner

Thanks Bklyn48.

Had 25.2 miles for the week which includes the Houston HM. The weather for Houston turned out to be perfect in my opinion (low 30's start). I've run the HM or FM here for the last 11 years and wish I could of had this weather when I was in better shape and a little younger (lol).  I always have a hard time training and of course diet through the holidays and this year was no exception. So all things considered I was okay with my race results. My time was 1:54:39 which was good for 8th out of 142 in the 65-69 age group. I ran about 2 minutes faster at Dallas about a month ago and in comparing mile splits I just couldn't hold my pace starting around mile 9 at Houston which I attribute to a little lost endurance. One thing that seems to work better for me also is having a little variety (hills) in the course to break the monotony on different leg muscles. Houston is very flat.

My next HM is this Sunday in Austin. The weather is forecasted to be a little warm (50's) but this is a fast course.

Happy running!

Quickadder

Thanks Bklyn48.

My time was 1:54:39 which was good for 8th out of 142 in the 65-69 age group. 

Congratulations Centex! At least 134 out of 142 would be envious of that performance. I know I am - that is better than my PR and I’m in the 60-64 AG.

Strangely with my recent Ultra I didn’t taper much and I got straight back to running with an easy 6.7 trail miles the next day. Did 7.2 tempo on Wednesday and 19 at GMP on Saturday and now am laid up with a heavy cold! Now I need to recover.

26.2 for the week.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Centex runner

Thanks Quickadder!

Hope you recover soon from your cold. There are a lot of people here with cold, flu, etc. Trying to avoid the coughers & sneezers. I also take airborne when I feel like I'm getting sick which has zinc and other ingredients that supposedly helps the immune system.

Your training seems to be going well. Your training paces are much faster than mine. Normally at night when I run with my DW I might average an 11 minute pace and for longer runs on the weekend (mornings) maybe around 10 minutes. I know that running some 5k races would help my times which I plan on adding to my schedule (need that race atmosphere to run faster). Anyway, I am impressed with your long run training paces but I would be careful not to push it too much (long slow runs can build endurance too and lessen the risk of injury). Looks to me that your PR's are ready to go down!  

Quickadder

Centex, interesting thoughts on training paces. It took me a while to decide what my goal paces should be, but my 5K, 10K and HM results line up very well currently. The tables that take weekly mileage into account give me a marathon time of around 4:10 to 4:15, which gives a Goal Marathon Pace of 9:35 to 9:40.

I know that the perceived wisdom is that most of my training mileage should be done close to a minute per mile slower than GMP. If I run with someone that wants to run that pace, I will happily do so. I run with DD quite often and her pace is closer to 13 minutes, but normally I will throw in a few strides or intervals.

Generally I don’t have any fixed training plan so I adjust on the fly. My Saturday morning long runs are with a group that has several members that run at 9Tight lippedx pace and I will usually join them. If I find that I’m struggling, I’ll wish them a good run and drop back, but it is a while since that last happened. If I’m feeling good I’ll just go with the flow and it is only later when I’m logging my run that I realize that I’ve just run 18, 19, 20 miles at GMP or better.

When I run on my own I seem to settle into a comfortable pace of around 9:25, which I understand should not feel comfortable, but does.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Nasreddin Hoja

I see Centex started running the same age as I!  My times, are not nearly so good and getting worse.

I've got a half on Sunday.  Lots of trouble real estate-wise  has been cutting deep into my training.  A brutal course, the worst hill of Central Park, one of them, 3 times.  If I get 2:45, I will be happy.

Centex runner

Hi Nasreddin Hoja!

Good luck with your half on Sunday and your real estate issues. I feel very fortunate right now with my running. I've had health concerns and injuries that have complicated my training in the last several years.

Looks like the weather might be rainy and in the 60's for my HM this Sunday. Just need to adjust to the conditions.

Anzlo

Thought I would drop by and wish everybody best of luck on your running endeavors for 2018 

My running is still in limbo to some extent as I am unsure of some allergy/diet issues as yet.  I am running a little, emphasis on "little".  I managed seven miles last week and ten miles so far this week but in the near future cannot run two consecutive days.  I am walking/hiking a lot with some regular swimming.  Mid-year I will have a better idea of what percentage of my workouts can be running but for now running aggravates an internal allergy problem I am fighting with.

Have a great upcoming weekend !

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

Centex - Congrats on the HM!  Excellent time.  Good luck on Sunday.

Nas - Good luck to you on Sunday as well.  60 will feel hot.

I ran 36.6 miles last week, but my mileage this week may be down a little.  Waiting to see if I have to work next week. If I'm off I may get in a few more runs.