Senior Grand Masters-60 and Older

Age grading your performances. (Read 114 times)

I have only been running for about 5 years but after 60 I understand we can expect to slow down by about 1% or so each year.

I have used age grading, mostly the percentages, to compare runs from different years, but also occasionally converted to an "open" time, sometimes with surprising results.

How do you guys use the tables, if at all?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

#artbydmcbride

Some of the local races here convert your times to the age graded percentage for me.    Also the USA T & F SoCal uses the age grade in their scoring for their annual grand prix.  Cool

Other than that I will look them up to see if I am a better short distance or long distance runner.   Big grin

Runners run

old-runner

I've been paying more attention to the age-graded tables since I turned 60 and for the past month or so I've been posting my age-graded equivalent time for all of my races in my blog stats. This week's 5k I ran in 21:24, which was equivalent to a 30-year-old running in 17:12. I'm not sure how accurate that is but it makes me feel better about myself!

I've got an age-graded race coming up in just a month or so where the awards go to the Top 50 age-graded best times. It's really competitive and I've never run it before but checking the past results I would probably land somewhere between about 40th and 60th place, so it'll definitely be a challenge but should be fun to try.

http://twincitytc.org/RaceInformation/RaceCalendar/BeattheHeat5K/tabid/70/Default.aspx

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

This week's 5k I ran in 21:24, which was equivalent to a 30-year-old running in 17:12.

thanks for the Athlinks link.  You must be a fast-twitcher wtih 98 5k's and only 2 marathons, but both at the edge of being sub-fours.  They don't get any easier but, if you want, you should be able to dip down into the three hour clock for quite a few more years. 

ps - not that I know anyone who'd bid on it or anything like that <<<(me/me)>>> but, as long as you're using the age-graded 17:12, maybe put the 21:24 on Ebay or something?  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

That's a great time, Oldrunner!

I have never got under 22 minutes, or 18 minutes age graded. Something to think about for later this fall, maybe.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

old-runner

I have run a lot of 5k races, mostly because that's what's available each week, but I'd prefer a half marathon and try to run one HM every month. I've run close to 40 halfs and, as mentioned, only 2 full marathons. I might try a full again one of these days but I'm pretty much done by the time I hit 13 miles and in both the full marathons I've run I swore I'd never do it again. I know a lot of people do that but I was about as miserable as I've ever been i the last half of those full marathons, not to mention the long recovery time and also the training involved in just getting ready to run 26.2 miles.