Senior Grand Masters-60 and Older

Introductions (Read 44 times)

What have you been up to the last few decades?

Started running in 1993 when I was in my early 40s. Got inspired watching the New York City Marathon and decided to get off the couch. Ran my first 26.2 in 1994 and my most recent in 2014. Athlinks shows a total of 592 racing miles for me so far.

The past year has been a long recovery effort as I needed to take a break for major surgery in May. Health is fine now and I'm beginning to rebuild my training base. Looking forward to the 70-year-old age group this coming spring but races will be more for health and training motivation—no plans at the moment to be pushing the pace.

gsaun039

Caffeine-fueled Runner

Greetings and Salutations!

More than a few lines of introduction:

I am currently 64 and used to run when I was much younger (only for fun and conditioning).  I never did cross country or track when I was in HS or attending the university.  The fastest single timed- mile I ever turned was a 5:15 at age 21.  Ran my first 10K race in 1977 and didn't run another one until 1985.  But I still ran for conditioning for things like basketball skiing, etc.

I managed to stay at a healthy weight until about age 43 when I changed jobs (had me more sedentary) and my son graduated from HS (even more sedentary).  Over the span of the next 10 years, I gradually gained weight until finally, late 2007, I saw a picture of myself looking more like the Michelin man than my personal image normally considered (maxed out at 252 pounds).  I gradually took some of the weight of over the next couple of years and was down in the 228-232 range when I joined a walking program/competition in April 2010.  Over the next three years, I dropped down below 179 pounds (172-176) which is pretty close to where I am right now.  I managed my diet slightly, but the walking gradually had me become more fit by walking 11 miles per day (spread out over the day).

I took up running again "by accident" by signing up and then running a 10K race in 2013.  Next thing Iknew I was training for my first marathon at the age of 60.  No other intermediate races, just jumped headlong into the marathon (which I finished in just under 5:11).  I've now run 9 marathons, 10 half-marathons, a few 10K's and a few 5K's.

I'm currently training for my next marathon in early November, having just run a half-marathon yesterday.  Ultimately, I am shooting for the illusive BQ.

PR's--- 5K  24:11,   10K  49:40,   10-Mile  1:26:02,  HM  1:56:03,   Marathon  4:16:17

Maniac #11112, Fanatic #14276, Double Agent #2335

ginnyb

Hi,

I will turn 68 on Halloween.  Been running since 1978, when I started just to try and stay in shape.  One of my co-workers at the time got me started.  I have run pretty consistently since then.  Never did long distances or races until another friend invited me, all expenses paid, to run the minni-marathon at Disney in Florida in 2008.  That was 9 miles, from there I did a Half and then a full.  I am very slow (always have been), but have run 2 fulls and I think about 40 Half marathons now.  My greatest thrill was running the NYC marathon in 2015.  Just ran a half on Sept. 16th and am running another in about 2 week in Columbus , Oh.

I am also on the woman's dailies forum, we moved over here from RW about a week ago.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Quickadder

I'm an Englishman residing in SW Louisiana so have had to learn to cope with both climactic and cultural shocks. Never considered myself athletic and didn't make any sports teams at school though I did end up running in the Senior Mile on my final sports day - think I didn't step back quick enough when they asked for volunteers - and got lapped but finished in 6:34. After that my most energetic sports activity was steel-tip darts for many years.

I work for a CPA and in 2015 the end of tax season coincided with my stepdaughter signing up for a 4 mile race on the 4th of July. Having been sat at my desk for many hours for the previous 3 months I thought it might be an idea to try and run that race with her. I thought I'd better do some training ahead of the race and tried to run laps around the yard, initially doing more walking than running. Entered my first 5K the last week of June 2015 and broke 30 minutes and that is probably when I was hooked, though that could have been finishing ahead of DD in the 4 miler or winning the 60+ AG in an evening 5K a few weeks later (the fast old guys didn't turn out for a race where it was 90F at the start).

Ran my first 10K in November 2015 and my first HM four weeks after that. Joined RW forums about that time and benefited greatly from the advice of more experienced runners there. Started hitting the local trails on a regular basis and learned the hard way that tree roots can be a hazard. Joined the local running club and an informal running group that had several members training for marathons. Ran my own first marathon March 2017 at age 62 and in a time of 4:32:09. More to come, I hope.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

not lazy, just tired

Hi All

I am 64, turning 65 the end of November. I started running in 2009 in order to get in shape for ski season, and discovered that I liked it. I think the last couple of winters I've actually run more than skied... of course ski conditions the last couple of seasons have been pretty sad.

I only do a few races a year. Last fall I ran my first marathon in 4:32:01 and managed to qualify for Boston (because I'll be 65 before Boston, 2018 I got to go by the F65 - 69 qualifying time of 4:40). So now I'm registered for Boston...figured this would be a once in a lifetime chance for me. Hopefully I'll get there in one piece  Also will be running the Hartford half marathon on Oct. 14.

Not if it makes sense.

I’ve been running for about 40 years.  Took off from the steps of my law school in 1976 and never stopped. (Well, some injuries over the years....).  I had some success racing in my late 20s and 30s but not enough to quit my day job.  I still race but seem to get a lot of anxiety about it (not about how I’ll do, just about how HARD it feels) so have it back.  Ran 2 marathons this year and a number of shorter races and might be running a marathon this coming Sunday.

I turned 65 this past September.  I’m still working and have a pretty demanding job.  Life gets tiring.  2 grown kids who both run races and do triathlon.  My son (31) is a top amateur at half ironman distance.  My husband was a good competitive runner, too, but now mainly cycles.

That’s my story....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Ok, so this is where you all moved to. Glad I found you. Quickadder tipped me off where you would be. Anyway, after pretty much being a slug for a lot of 2016 and 2017 I'm hoping to resume regular training and racing. I need my support people so I'll probably hang out here with the people I know best.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

I'm 81 do I belong in this group ?  I only run 1  mile and walk 2miles  5 days a week

If not I'll just slip back into the nursing home before they discover I'm gone.

M

Quickadder

I'm 81 do I belong in this group ?  I only run 1  mile and walk 2miles  5 days a week

If not I'll just slip back into the nursing home before they discover I'm gone.

M

Mirko, hello. You'll fit right in here, especially if you are looking for a quiet place where you can post weekly mileage and the occasional comment.

If you want a more active forum, check out the 'Masters' too. There is an active daily thread there and a wide range of members (you would not be the oldest) with a number of walkers.

Look forward to seeing a fuller introduction from you with a little more detail of your past exploits and future hopes. I suspect many of us are running to try and keep away from the nursing home for as long as possible.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

I have been running for 42 yrs. Running has been good for me, physically and especially mentally.  Life in itself is much harder then running.

But running has helped me to move thru the many changes . I've run most distances thru the marathon and in the early years it was nothing but pushing for the best time. Competition was fun but pushing my self to the limit was the best.  So now its all the enjoyment of getting out every morning and just enjoying the walk or the run and seeing neighbors.

I'd like to enter one more race here in California, but it would definitely have to be low key.

Well its getting close to the time to get out on the road, so good running to all.

mirko

Half Fanatic #846

I'm from north Florida and 71 - I started running when I was 58 doing a few 5Ks thru HMs along the way. But I became a slacker this past summer, so now am base building back to 25-30 mpw. Maybe my late start in running will "save my knees" , but really I think running mostly strengthens them.

I've run barefoot part-time for the last ten years, and found that it helps my lower leg, ankle, and foot strength quite a bit. Have done 3 races BF but I knew in advance the pavement/surfaces were fairly smooth - sorry, I don't do gravel without shoes!  Otherwise, I enjoy running in minimal lightweight and cushioned Skechers running shoes.

My goals for the next few months are to lose some weight and train for a <26:00 5K in April.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

sluggo

John

Hello all,

Quickadder invited me to join the group so here I am.

I am 67 this month, living in Salem, MA and, due to injuries and age, seen my annual miles drop from 1000+ to a goal of 400 for this year. So far, 2018 weather has closed off my running trail and made the streets icy enough that I have not yet done much. We are getting 18 - 24" of snow today and expect to see temps in single digits for the rest of the week. Humbug!

I joined the 2018 in 2018 RA game this year, after being in the 2016 in 2016 and 2017 in 2017 games. I am using this game to kick my butt into the streets each week.

(NH Runner - are you in the 2018 game? I seem to recall your presence in 2017.)

Anyone else from the Boston, MA area?

John
                            www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"