Senior Grand Masters-60 and Older

Heat (Read 71 times)

Is the heat tanking anyone else's running?  We are in the middle of horrible and unusual high temperatures here in TN.  We hit 109 last Friday and 102 yesterday.  Mornings (when I usually run) are high 70s and now the humidity is high.  It's not New Orleans, but it's pretty awful.  I struggled to finish my 10 mile run last Sat morning, but I made it.   I was terrible in my 5K race yesterday morning- about 45 seconds slower total than I expected.  This morning I bagged my 4-6 miler, ran a mile and will try some more after work in the shade.  It's just brutal.   I'm trying to keep at 40 miles a week, but it's a struggle.  Slowing down helps a little, but if I go much slower it won't really be running!  Smile

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

#artbydmcbride

Luckily it isn't that hot here right now.    Highs are in the mid 70s.   And the humidity is pretty low.  So I have no excuse really for running so sluggishly.  Big grin

Runners run

old-runner

It's about the same here in North Carolina as it is in Tennessee except we get most of the same weather a day or two later usually.

I really hate cold weather so I don't like to complain about the heat, but on July 3rd at 7 p.m. when I started running a 5k is was 98 degrees and within about a half mile I basically dropped out. I actually went back and ran with some super-slow runners but there was no way I could run a serious race in 98-degree heat. I also had an issue with my diet leading up to the race that day so both the diet and the heat factored into my demise.

I'm going to try to redeem myself tomorrow morning by running a 5k up in the NC mountains, where it should be a little cooler.

Although our temps are reasonable,  I do not run well in hot weather and have slowed and shortened most of my runs.

Glad I am not in the kind of heat you guys are describing.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.