The League of Extraordinary Runners

Upcoming Races (Read 1665 times)

Diesel Power

As far as Jingle Bell goes, Val has said that she's leaning toward running the race. However, neither of us should be counted as 100% in. My knee doesn't seem to be healing as fast as I thought it would. Walking around still causes a decent amount of pain. However, there's still eight days before my trial run next Friday, so we'll see how things go before then.

Diesel Power

It's now official... Val and I won't be making the trip down this weekend. There are many reasons involved, but none have to do with a lack of desire. As the year draws to a close, that means the end of a semester for me (finals) and the end of another quarter for her (report cards/various school tasks). Regardless, I don't think my knee would have been up for running by Friday. I'm going to be doing a ton of rehab exercises between now and Sunday, and I hope to be back up and running by Monday or Tuesday of next week.
      Durrr

The League is greatly saddened. However, I'm grateful for the grand unions we had at Chaptico, Komen, Three Oaks and Step-By-Step, and perhaps the Hospice in April will see an extraoridnary reunion.
          I'm still in for the race. I foresee some epic performances.
          Durrr

Sounds like the Jingle Bell will not be the coldest race we've run this year. Temperatures should be in the mid-40s by race time.

Diesel Power

It may feel a good bit colder than that down on the water. Back at Step by Step, I was fairly warm at my parents house, but it was considerably cooler on Solomons.
              Durrr

I guess the only thing to really be worried about is the wind. If it's blowing at Jingle Bell like it was at Step-By-Step, then I hope it will at least be blowing at our backs for the return trip of the course rathern than in our freaking faces.
                Durrr

Here it is, the day before the climactic race of the fall season, and there's been nary one bit of buzz on this forum. Rick's injury-induced premature retirement from 2007 competitive running was certainly a blow to my morale --- I'm left as the only League member determined to run a great race tomorrow (actually, Alden just might do something extraoridnary in a league of his own). I'm fixated on breaking or at least hitting 18:30, and to do so I need to maintain a 5:55 pace (or maybe splits of 5:50, 6:00, 5:55). Basically the real race is to hit the three-mile mark by 17:55 at the latest. So 15-20 seconds faster than what I did 5 weeks ago at Step-by-Step. The good news --- winds are supposed to be light and variable.

Diesel Power

I guess now is as good as time as any to start thinking about the Spring Schedule (mid March - late June/mid July)... If Joe supports my pitch of allowing each member to count ONE race longer than a Half Marathon that s/he runs solo, then the season will kick off on 3/9 with DR's marathon effort. 3/16 - Kelly St. Patrick's Day Shamrock 5K (Baltimore, MD)... 4,000 strong will be in this race. 4/18 - Run for Hospice 5K/10K (Leonardtown, MD)... Any idea on whether chip timing is used? That would probably be key in me making this one. If not, there are other races up here that weekend. 5/18 - 28th Annual Capitol Hill Classic 10K (Washington, DC)... Last year's race featured over 2000 men and women. I don't really have any other in mind thus far. I really only wanted to get the ball rolling on this.
                    Durrr

If Perry should choose to get In League --- a simple matter of signing Joe's registration (copied largely from the typical race registration forms used at local CBRC races) --- then the marathon could become a season opener without any special exceptions. If not, I propose that a marathon be counted just because, well, it's a marathon --- a race with the power of over eight 5ks. Of course that could lead to a slippery slope of solo runners wanting half marathons and 10-milers and then even 10ks to be counted, so allowing one solo race a season to be scored is probably the best route. This also highlights the issue of how to make joining the League more appealing to people outside of our immediate high school circle. The Runnies were great, but in the future I think we need to expand beyond a mere reunion of high school friends. And here's another race. March 29 (Sat) Keep Your Colon Rollin' 5K Huntingtown, MD

Diesel Power

The rule I suggested specifically mentions half marathons and marathons, because those are races that someone has to train for with intent. For instance, anyone of us right now could go run a 5K, 8K, or 10K, but may become injured if trying to race much more than that.
                        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Why don't I just do the registration next weekend -- can Crystal join too? Smile Rick, the Hospice 5K used chips last year, so that's a promising sign.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

FYI: I know someone who is planning to conduct a 5K race on Mar 29, using the Hospice 5K race course. (The Run for Hospice is two weeks after that, I think.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Diesel Power

When are we ending the regular season, in late June or July? I figure that if the League Cup is in July, then I'll have completely four races that will hopefully count in the standings. I know it's not the five to get max points in the rankings, but I'm really trying to hold to only a race per month this year, starting in March. I think one of the things that got me into injury trouble late last year was trying to do too many races in a short period of time. It looks as though we might have to wait another month or so before finalizing the schedule for the Spring season... I've yet to determine where I will want to race in June (potentially Walden Sierra) and July. Even my race in April is up in the air... I might just stay up this was and do a Baltimore 5K which ends in center field at Camden Yards.
                              Durrr

That would be a unique racing experience. Maybe they'll let participants do baseball slides across the finish line. But the Walden/Sierra 5k would be a fitting end to the Spring Season.