The League of Extraordinary Runners

Upcoming Races (Read 1665 times)

philibusters

If my training is any indicator, then no.  A big no. I've only had 2 decent 20 mile runs.  Almost every other long run I began to decline after 11 miles.  It was either weak/tired legs that is almost a certainty to happen to some degree at ES6, falling down unlikely to be an issue at ES6, dehydration will likely be an issue to some degree, how much of an issue depends on how much fluid you can take during the race, exhaustion it will be an issue at ES6 with a high degree of certainty, sick to death of running probably going to be an issue at ES6, too much sun, feeling faint or nauseated may be an issue late in the race, in the morning you should have some shade, stomach pains/stitches from food intake could be an issue, etc.

See my responses in bold above.... the good news is that you are hopefully making adaptations to better these with these issues come ES6.

So it looks like I'm training perfectly!  Bwahahahahaha.....:-)

For your last 20 mile run it took you about 3 hours to do it around a 9 minute pace. It's unrealistic to think that's going to be easy to immediately duplicate for 20 more miles to make 40 miles in 6 hours, so you can go ahead and throw 40 miles right out the window, but a 9 minute pace is somewhat realistic for you to maintain. Once you do that you realize you have a pretty good shot of landing somewhere in the 30s for your final mileage total. That means just 3 loops (4 if feeling bold) after you've hit 20 miles. You'll have a good 30+ minutes to relax if you're aiming for 36 miles and 60+ minutes to relax if you're aiming for 32 miles. My longwinded point is that if you run the first 20 miles like you normally would with relatively few or small breaks, then your final 3 or so loops will give you several minutes between them to rest and recover where you then just need to run 4 miles. Once you're just doing 4 miles at a time it might not be so bad.

philibusters

I do agree with you Joe.  Though when you get tired, four miles seems a lot longer than when you are fresh.

At this point its still my intention to run 8 loops for 32.8 miles, even if there is 40 minutes left.  Last year I wanted to push myself to see how hard I could go.   This year, I want to use this as a fitness run to get ready for Marine Corp Marathon and that means it cannot substantially interfere with my training.  I'll probably take Sunday off, run 4 on Monday, and then get right back into my normal training for MCM on Tuesday.  If I ran this to squeak out every last mile I could, I might not be able to do that.

In other news, my 18 mile run today fell apart.  Stopped 17.05 in.  Walked about 1.4 miles.  Then ran another 1.25 miles.  Then walked about a quarter of the mile to the car.  Dehyrdation hit me hard.  Unlike at Three Notch where I could get water every 5 miles, I only had one pit stop on this for water and it ended in disaster or dehyrdation to be exact.  The dry mouth and thirst started about mile 15, but I delusional thought I would be able to get thru.  However, in the summer in the heat, humidity, and sun, dehydration worsens quickly and what at mile 15 was a slightly dry mouth and a feeling of thirst was a medium case of dehydration.  Suprisningly when I ran that 1.25 bit other than my mouth be dry and be thirsty, the rest of me was okay.  I definitely had the legs and aerobic system to run 18.

philibusters

I really hope the weather forecasts for next Saturday are wrong because I cannot imagine running for 6 hours in 95 degree heat.

philibusters

Whoops.  That was a brain slip.  I looked at the weather for this Saturday, but obviously ES6 is the following Saturday. (which is good news considering how hot it will be this coming up Saturday).

At this point, I would be okay with getting 30-32ish miles.  I don't want to negative talk myself, but I have no confidence that I'm in any shape to run even 30 miles. While 4 miles and 3 loops sounds easy right now, when I feel fine, when my legs are cramping, my body is tired, and my brain is asking myself why on earth I'm doing this it will take something much, much deeper than "oh, it's only 4 miles" to keep going.

Phil,

I'm planning on bringing some of the CBRC singlets to ES6 (Karsten wants to buy one).  If you are interested in getting one let me know and I'll bring a few more so you can check sizes.

Diesel Power

Attention interested parties: This is the link to register for the Color Run in Baltimore, November 17th at Camden Yards.  Team Registration is $40 per person... However, retailmenot advised me to use the coupon code COLOR5OFF at check out, and I received $5 off each for me and the wife. 

Register under the team name "The League of Extraordinary Runners," using the password drismyhero.

https://endurancecui.active.com/legacy/event-reg/select-race?e=4929701

Durrr

For me this month is going to be jam packed with LPR10 training, leaving next to no time for other races --- but I might have to make an exception for this!

http://www.ourgoldenbeach.com/5k-walk-run.html

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

For me this month is going to be jam packed with LPR10 training, leaving next to no time for other races --- but I might have to make an exception for this!

http://www.ourgoldenbeach.com/5k-walk-run.html

Wow. I saw Golden Beach for the first time a couple weeks ago helping Vic move something, and I thought it seemed to go forever. That map on that page (linked above) shows a big grid of roads back there.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Phil, Liza inquired about your training yesterday. Still planning to do the 10 miler?

Durrr

Hmm, I'm wondering if Phil vs. Joe --- both still in relative recovery modes --- would have a close race in the 10-miler.

Two weeks ago I would have told you that I was moving in a great direction. I've only run haphazardly the last couple of weeks now, though, and have lost confidence in my ability to race well this fall.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Two weeks ago I would have told you that I was moving in a great direction. I've only run haphazardly the last couple of weeks now, though, and have lost confidence in my ability to race well this fall.

2.5 loops at Rosaryville will do wonders for your confidence.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.