The League of Extraordinary Runners

Upcoming Races (Read 1665 times)

Today was supposed to be my big workout to prepare for a race in a week and a half. Instead I ate 1.75 bags of Doritos (plus dip) and got 3 hours of sleep. I don't think that workout is happening. I was planning to do the race for Blaine on the 5th and then the LPR10 on the 13th. There are a bunch of local races on the 5th. I think Alison will probably win the Blaine Whorl 5k if she attends. There are perhaps one or two Ryken athletes who could win if they aren't busy that weekend. I thought I might be able to get into sub-19 shape (sub-20 for that course), but as of today it's obvious I'm doing too little too late.

Phil, are you doing the 10 miler? I think I'm going to once again go with a goal of getting sub 1:10 and any closer I get to 1:05 will just be a bonus. This time last year is when I injured myself, as I was doing too many hard runs amid no recovery running. It might be a mistake for me to force these races into my calendar if I'm not ready for them.

The workout went very well for you this evening, Joe!

Durrr

Then I guess we'll both be in recovery mode tomorrow morning (now nigh today!). Except my recovery pace is still sub-8:00/mi.

Well, it's about time for me to go sit in the dark, waiting patiently for the time to set forth for the 5:20 a.m. run --- er, I mean ... go to sleep. Right.

philibusters

Phil, Liza inquired about your training yesterday. Still planning to do the 10 miler?

No.  Its an either or with the metric marathon.  I plan to do one of them, but am not sure which one.  Metric would be more predictive for MCM, but 10 miler is at home.

Getting ready for a big race after the wheels fell off your training is not as exciting as getting ready for a race when your training has gone well.

philibusters

I guess I can try to do both.

Hmm, according to what I am seeing both races are on the same day, October 13th.

http://beta.active.com/harwood-md/running/metric-marathon-2013?cmp=39-28&ltclickid=09_103137425_4ddd1c3b-37a7-4728-80d6-0b109fa08127&ltcmp=194590

http://www.cbrcmd.org/events.htm

Perry, here is a link to more information for the Blaine Whorl 5k. http://www.smrhs.org/page.cfm?p=2992 For some reason the details are in a column on the right of that page. It shows the start time as 9am.

Durrr

The Annapolis Striders site is the authority on the matter:

Metric Marathon (33rd Year)

Sunday, October 6 at 8:00am

(6th leg of the Championship Series)

Race Directors:

Melissa Currence mdg624@hotmail.com
                Hugh Harris runhuey805@aol.com

Details and Registration

But if Phil were to do one race, it should definitely be the LPR10. I honestly think that Joe vs. Phil would be a solid matchup. Hmm, and if the likes of Wardian and Mercer and Piggott (in top form) were to show and, with Demers, shut me out of "open" contention, then maybe me, Phil/Joe, and Joe/Phil might go 1-2-3 in the M30-39 division.

I think you and Demers could be a good match. Your goal time is faster than what he ran last year.

Durrr

I'll of course be very anxious to see the results of the Metric Marathon --- and how much BD improves on his time from last year. Don't forget that he almost exactly matched his 2012 LPR10 time at the Annapolis 10-miler, which is purportedly run on a somewhat more difficult course (though the A10 was on an unseasonably cool morning this year, so summer heat doesn't come into consideration here).

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I guess I can try to do both.

Myself as well Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

I'm warily wondering what St. George's Island is looking like at this point --- and how bad it might get if these rains continue ... as the forecast unfortunately contends they will. From experience we know that the final half-mile or so of the island (after the road turns into a single, narrow lane) is at most risk of flooding.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm warily wondering what St. George's Island is looking like at this point --- and how bad it might get if these rains continue ... as the forecast unfortunately contends they will. From experience we know that the final half-mile or so of the island (after the road turns into a single, narrow lane) is at most risk of flooding.

Aha. This gives me an idea for a FB post...

Durrr

Demers will most certainly have the advantage if things flood. Water that's waist-deep for me will be merely knee-deep for him!

So far I have good reason to believe the road will be passable during the race. So long as it's not raining at high tide you shouldn't have an issue. The positive side to being near the river is that the water easily runs off when it can. the negative side is that excess water in the marshes comes right back into the roads when the tide comes in.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Can't find info for the Island.

ref: http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/marylandsites.html#west

Pt Lookout
                                Su Oct 13, high tide = 0854, 1.4ft, sunrise 0711

That's unfortunate timing.