The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Diesel Power

Last night (Tuesday) was the long run. I ran (according to MapMyRun.com) almost exactly 9 miles in 1:21:04, a solid 9:00 pace. Most of the run was faster than that, but I slowed to a crawl a few times to fiddle with my iPod. Tomorrow night (Thursday) should be a moderate day to keep my legs fresh before the pyramid routine on Saturday. I plan on running a total of four miles, with miles two and three at a 7:40 pace. That will put me at 15 for the week... with Saturday's workout, I should hit between 20-22. I will have to check my log, but this could be the first time since high school that I've run more than 20 miles in a week.
    Durrr

Good morning?
      Durrr

I guess I'll have to get used to this. At this point I don't think I'm going to get into making a detailed running profile, but rather just use the forum like I did on forumer. In keeping with my usual pre-race procedure, I'll be running six moderate miles tonight, likely followed by a few strides.

Diesel Power

I think this would be a golden opportunity for you to share your running with the world, in the form of colorful graphs! My calf is feeling a bit better today, and I'm very tempted to resume training tonight. However, it may be smarter to take the weekend off. I'll pretty much be punting any kind of performance in the Turkey Trot, but as I've said before, I don't want this injury to haunt me all the way to Jingle Bell. Besides, if I get back into things on Monday (albeit with a lighter schedule), I'll have three weeks to train for the big race. Taking a week off did me good earlier in the season, I just hope it won't be detrimental now. Any thoughts from Joe and DR on the race tomorrow? Are you guys doing the prediction run this year?
          Durrr

I'm definitely doing the 5k race rather than the prediction run. If I wanted to do the latter, I could probably win by predicting a time of 25:50 and then running a steady 8:15 pace. That's not a real race to me. I'm more interested in defending my titles from last year in the 5k --- first place in the age group and third overall. Last year Joe was shut out of the age group by a Weiner, so hopefully this time he'll be able to cut Weiner off in the race. I'm very uncertain about how my time will go. Of course I have to break the 19:20 I ran there last year, but eclipsing my 18:44 from two weeks ago could be tricky; it is a mostly flat-fast course, but there are a couple sharp U-turns you have to make, plus one point where you have to ascend a hill by way of a zig-zagging handicap ramp. Thus it's not quite as fast as the Step-by-Step/Jingle Bell course. But the weather should be optimal for racing.

Diesel Power

The race includes a handicap ramp? That's very odd.
              Durrr

Indeed --- a narrow, wooden plank one that requires making three sharp, 180 degree turns.

Diesel Power

I don't care what anyone says about that making the course "unique," that's just a terrible idea to have on a course. Is this a situation where they just couldn't possibly go without this ramp? You couldn't run up a hill or something?
                  Durrr

It's at a point where you go down to water's edge --- where the big historical ships are kept --- and then get back up to the highland via the ramp. I actually don't think there would be any other way up. After the ramp, you resume running on the path you'd been on shortly before -- but in the opposite direction (much like the Chaptico Classic turnaround effect). So after tackling the ramp last year, I passed Joe face to face. "It's a race!" he said then, observing that the Son of Walser was hot on my heels.
                    Spoon

In the interest of seeing how living at altitude has affected my running ability, I'd be really interested in running a 5k when I back in the States (18 Dec - 5 Jan). Unfortunately, am not really sure where to look for races. Am not sure where you all look for yours, but was wondering if you might be able to find me a race? It wouldn't have to be a league-approved race or anything, just a race during that time frame...
                      Durrr

There's the Nutcracker 5k near Solomons Island on December 24th.
                          The Nutcracker 5k is very friendly and casual. It's a good run to do if you're just curious how you'd do.

Diesel Power

I came to the unsatisfying realization earlier today that my season may very well end on Thursday. Prior to this morning, I had not run since Tuesday. I did five miles this morning, and my achilles and calf began hurting again. It has since subsided, and I think I can get by this week by icing and taking ibuprofen. However, I may have to take 2-3 weeks off in order to heal fully. If that happens, then unfortunately Jingle Bell will be off the table.
                            Durrr

If two weeks can do the job, you should be clear for the Jingle Bell. I'd say skip the Thanksgiving race in favor of fortifying for the Jingle Bell, as it's going to be a major League event. But of course it's completely up to you.

Diesel Power

If this is an injury that requires more than a week of rest, I think it wouldn't be smart to run a race in the first few days of coming off the injury. If I take time off after the Turkey Trot, I'll probably end up calling it a season.