The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Maybe if Crystal does 10 or 14 (depending whether she goes to the Point) with us, she can drop off at the car to drive back.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

If I'm feeling really spry I can try to do a short part of it.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Someone has reminded me that I'm racing a 5K in Annapolis that morning. I could still do it midday or later, but I'm more likely to drop out halfway. Or I could do it on Sunday.

Durrr

I nailed a nifty ninety! My highest weekly mileage ever by 10 miles. However, by a most curious coincidence, Perry just so happened to exceed 90 this week (I don't envy him that run that came so soon after his consumption of that mighty Chief's burger). Yet I did prevail in pace (today, as a regular long run, I ran roughly 83% of a 3:12:30 marathon).

NameDistance ▼Time
          AmoresPerros 91.2 mi 12:31:01 (8:14/mi)
          Durrr 90 mi 11:13:49 (7:30/mi)
          philibusters 36.4 mi 5:01:13 (8:17/mi)
          Soprano 33.8 mi 4:50:21 (8:36/mi)
          philibusters

Someone has reminded me that I'm racing a 5K in Annapolis that morning. I could still do it midday or later, but I'm more likely to drop out halfway. Or I could do it on Sunday.

Either next weekend or the following weekend work equally well for me, but given the timeline of the marathon its likely going to have to be one of those weekends as anything after that is going to be too late.  Saturday or Sunday would work equally well for me, though I probably need a Sunday morning start if we do it Sunday.

philibusters

I nailed a nifty ninety! My highest weekly mileage ever by 10 miles. However, by a most curious coincidence, Perry just so happened to exceed 90 this week (I don't envy him that run that came so soon after his consumption of that mighty Chief's burger). Yet I did prevail in pace (today, as a regular long run, I ran roughly 83% of a 3:12:30 marathon).

NameDistance ▼Time
              AmoresPerros 91.2 mi 12:31:01 (8:14/mi)
              Durrr 90 mi 11:13:49 (7:30/mi)
              philibusters 36.4 mi 5:01:13 (8:17/mi)
              Soprano 33.8 mi 4:50:21 (8:36/mi)

If I had not lost some fitness in October, November, and December, I'd probably be trying to run a 3:12:30 rather than a 3:19:30 in the actual marathon.

Durrr

Wow, Phil, that might be the most unevenly paced long run I've ever seen --- though many of the miles were very brisk. Was it your intention to run a couple steady states with recovery miles worked in?

philibusters

Wow, Phil, that might be the most unevenly paced long run I've ever seen --- though many of the miles were very brisk. Was it your intention to run a couple steady states with recovery miles worked in?

It was fairly even effort except for the end where I just got tired.  I ran the first ten miles then took a 3 to 4 minute break to take some gatorade (and the two guys I was with brought some food), so that 12 minute 11th mile was a 8 minute mile with a four minute refreshment break in there.  Much like the ultras.    I was just running out of gas at mile 18 and twice I had to take walk breaks in mile 18, but I recovered a bit and was able to finish out running.

I ran with two other guys and successful ran the first 10.4 mile lap with them, but got left behind on the second lap.  If you look at my map I cut the course. The other two guys finished on the trail (for example where the 9 mile mark is on my map, but I cut the course and took the road that lead directly to end).  That is significant because the last two miles of the trail are the hilliest and twistest miles on the trail.  On the bright side I beat them back to the cars by maybe 30 seconds, so that I could pretend like I got minutes ago.  I probably cut .9 miles off the course.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Nice job, Phil.

Either next weekend or the following weekend work equally well for me, but given the timeline of the marathon its likely going to have to be one of those weekends as anything after that is going to be too late.  Saturday or Sunday would work equally well for me, though I probably need a Sunday morning start if we do it Sunday.

Saturday, Feb. 9:  Annapolis Striders Valentines 5K in Kinder Farm Park  (great place to run, btw!)

Saturday, Feb. 16:  Oak Ridge Trail Run

Saturday, Feb. 23:  Polar Bear Plunge

I'm happy to run after (or before in the case of the Polar Bear Plunge) any of these.  15 miles or so is pretty good for me.

philibusters

I mapped out the run on map my run.  If you start at the track and go out of the college the normal way its a 27 mile run.  You can probably take a mile or two off that by going into or out of the college a more direct manner (like Mattaponi Rd or to cafateria and out)... http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/170856632

philibusters

It can be divided into three.  A little over 10 miles to the confederate memorial parking lot, 6 to 7 miles from the confederate memorial parking lot to pointlook and back, and 10 miles from the confederate memorial parking lot back to the college.  With a car at the confederate memorial parking lot you could get to pit stops, one at 10 miles and a second at around mile 17.  Also it would be easy if somebody else only want to run 16 to just have me run the first 10 by myself meet them at the confederate memorial parking lot and then have them start in on the run from there.

philibusters

For Joe I just think the key is consistency.  Since I have started running back in 2009 I have been where Joe between 3 to 5 times (March 2010, August 2010, December 2011 all came off of no running for weeks-----January 2011 and December 2012 both came off heavily reduced of running for a couple month period)--the key to coming back is getting in the habit of running.

Getting the habit is tricky, but its more important than anything else in the early going.  Getting yourself to go to the college and out in the cold is the hard part, the actual running is definitely the easy part when you are not in the habit of running every day.  So even if its just 3 miles a day, as long as its either 6 or 7 days a week you are setting yourself up well to come back.  By contrast running 20 miles a week in 3 days still leaves you in the no man's land of not reallly having the habit of running.

That was my experience at least.  When you expect to run every day its easy to run every day.

Durrr

Giving yourself a compelling mileage goal for the week can really boost motivation on a daily basis. Last week, for instance, I was possessed by the determination to achieve 90 miles from Sunday to Saturday. Had I not had that soaring objective, I might've found it all to easy to take the day after the race off, and then decide to stay indoors on Friday when it was bitterly cold out and I was awfully tired (in truth I was greatly tempted on both accounts). But longing to reach 90 kept me dedicated and honest. Thus, though I have no idea what Joe might or might not have run over the previous two days, perhaps this could be the week in which he becomes absolutely determined to hit 30 miles.

We are running at Patuxent HS track tonight.  Perry is going to do about an hour or more easy (starting around 5pm), then pick it up to marathon pace for a while after that (don't know how long).   It will be dark, but I think the temps will be in the low 40's.