The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

I have to help my dad tonight, so I don't think I'll make any group runs.

Getting into the habit of running is definitely key. I do best if I just get out the door every day. I've always done better with weekly mileage if my goal is to run often rather than run for mileage.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Glancing at DR's graph, one might think he wore a heart rate monitor, and the display is showing his heart rate.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I hear there is still room at TWOT (The Wild Oak Trail 100-miler) this weekend.

From the website:

Who is Invited

Since this is a semi-invitational, here are some guidelines to help you determine if you are "invited". Actually, most of the following determines who is not invited.

1. If you are even the least bit worried or concerned about getting lost, don't come.
        2. If you have questions, don't come.
        3. If you need a crew, don't come.
        4. If you need toilet paper, don't come.
        5. If you expect to be pampered in any way shape or form, don't come.
        6. If you're a whiner, don't come.
        7. If you're a freeloader, don't come.
        8. If you're seeking fame and/or fortune, don't come.
        9. If you're thinking about writing a report about your experience at Wild Oak, don't come.
        10. If you crave abuse, if you yearn for abuse, if you are addicted to abuse in any way shape or form (be it physical, mental, sexual, verbal, mathematical, artistic or whatevah) BY ALL MEANS, BE MY GUEST. (This applies to abusees only. Abusers are not welcome. The only abuser allowed is the trail.)

Durrr

Glancing at DR's graph, one might think he wore a heart rate monitor, and the display is showing his heart rate.

But then wouldn't the ups and downs of my graph have been inverted? Surely my heart rate spiked rather than dipped for my Fartlek surges.

Durrr

I hear there is still room at TWOT (The Wild Oak Trail 100-miler) this weekend.

Don't even think about it, Phil.

philibusters

So I think I am going to be back in St. Mary's County this weekend.  I am thinking one possiblity is to do a hour run Saturday then try the college to point lookout run Sunday morning.  Are people interested in those runs?

I think I can do the Saturday one and then I may or may not be able to do some part of the Sunday one. Sounds like a solid plan to me.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'll try both if I can make them. I can only do the Saturday one if it is after noon (Annapolis 5K race in the morning).

Scott Kopicko is interested in Sunday Pt Lookout run. I'll send an email to all of us to discuss.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Planning to run at Chancellor's this evening c 6:30.

Durrr

The top 5 fastest 10-milers I've ever run:

1) LPR10 '12 ... 57:57

2) LPR10 '11 ... 59:28

3) my time at mile 10 in the Snapple High Cloud Half Marathon '13 ... 1:00:00

4) my 10-mile steady state last night ... 1:01:14

5) my 8 X sub-5:50 "1600s" connected by "400m" recs save for an "800m" rec after "1600" #4 workout conducted on the TNT South early last October ... 1:01:17

philibusters

I remember Perry's disappointment yesterday at mile 19 when he was like "7 more" and I was like "probably 8".

In fairness, the confusion was because I had told Scott earlier the run was going to be around 26 miles.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I am proud of not running down Mattapani (*). Although one reason I didn't is silly --  I thought I should return the same way I went out, to simplify guessing my distance. It was only later I realized that I just needed to add my distance to the memorial to whatever Blaine's total was.

This evening was very nice running weather. No dripping monsters.

* I am prejudiced against Mattapani because I think it is too dangerous.

Durrr

There was indeed rumor of a dripping monster roaming the streets on a recent dark, rainy morning.

It's amusing to me that Joe made the effort to join in on the Sunday long run operation for a 4 mile run but --- due to the out and back nature of the trip --- could only actually join the others for 2 miles. That's just 0.07% of Perry's total run! I had Joe along for 0.16% of my run when I made a similar journey four years ago (02/14/2009, to be specific). My starting point was the the HSMC Visitors Center rather than the college, and I walked the final mile back so as not to exceed 24 miles, but I did make it to the Point Lookout lighthouse all the same. Meanwhile Joe started with me and ran abreast with me until he turned back at mile 4, as 8 miles was the most he had time for (I seem to recall that he had some pressing Valentine's Day business to attend do).

Durrr

And finally there it was, the destiny of this run: the old Point Lookout Lighthouse (more like an austere house with a lighthouse jutting through its roof. It's an infamous hot, er, creepily cold spot for paranormal investigators and amateur ghost hunters). I forgot how eerie that place looks --- especially on overcast winter days when that whole end of the park is utterly deserted ... save for me, the lone runner. So I circled the turnaround loop counterclockwise, passing by the chain-linked, barbed-wire gates of the lighthouse at 12.5 miles exactly    ...
                              Moving along, I think it was shortly after my second brief break at mile 21 that I encountered the first fellow runner on the road I'd seen since Joe's departure (by that point, my "warm up" with Joe seemed like a distant memory) ...
                              Anyways, I concluded 24 miles in 3:34:41(8:57/mi ... that's right, sub-9:00/mi!). Beating that time should be my bottom-line goal for the marathon. So I was pleased with my performance, yes, but now I found myself in a real predicament: I had to walk 1.33 miles up the road to get to my car! Let me tell you. It was like a POW death march to Saigon --- a veritable Trail of Tears. Sometimes I thought I was going to stumble and roll helplessly into the ditch ... It was all still worth it, though, to have run to the ends of the earth, er, county --- and back again.

Having to walk after a long run is terrible if you have blisters, chafing, or no access to replenishment. Otherwise taking a long walk is very good and can make the car ride home less likely to kill you.