The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Durrr

So when are you going for 127 miles?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I didn't know what the max was. I had a triple digit rolling average last week, and wondered if I had a shot at setting a new max; that's why I wrote that program -- to find out. The answer was no; I wasn't close enough. But maybe after the 24hr run Smile

If anyone else wants to know, I can run it against anybody's RA downloaded file -- but you have to delete all the unused runs in your buffer area, or they will get counted too.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

re: 24hr nutrition

Me (asking DB):

I'm pretty tempted to eat some solid food, because I've had luck with that on training runs. For example, today I ran 21mi, then drank a lot and ate some pork chops and potatoes, and then ran 3mi more.

What do you think of this idea?

But meat does seem awfully heavy. Would be nice to have ramen noodles, and potatoes - stuff known for being bland.

DB (who used a rigorous gel schedule at his Worlds run):

If I ever run another 24, I was going to use this strategy.  It will cause some weight in your stomach short term (2 hours), but long-term you will likely avoid nausea etc.

Don Sullivan's Brother Terry does this - His theory is I eat 3 meals every day, why would I not eat 3 square meals when I do a 24 hour race.

My strategy was to have a fuller belly with pancakes & eggs at the start.  Then have 2 meals worth of chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy available and 2 meals of Roman noodles (2 packs worth) available next time i do a 24.

It might not work for you or me, but I have seen people do it and I think it could work.  It sounds more pleasant in theory than 48 gels and 23 servings of heed / endurox mix.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Crystal is dominating the mileage this week:

AmoresPerros 2 mi 24:00
          Durrr 0 mi 0:00
          philibusters 0 mi 0:00
          rickschaffer83 0 mi 0:00
          Soprano 10.4 mi 1:25:15
          xenoplastic 0 mi 0:00

Crystal is dominating the mileage this week:

AmoresPerros 2 mi 24:00
            Durrr 0 mi 0:00
            philibusters 0 mi 0:00
            rickschaffer83 0 mi 0:00
            Soprano 10.4 mi 1:25:15
            xenoplastic 0 mi 0:00

Yes!

Pork isn't a bad idea. It probably has more iron than chicken, but isn't as hard to digest as a typical red meat. I like your plan. A 24-hour run isn't a slow starve. You'd be pooped just a few hours in. You really need to plan to eat like 6000+ calories and I don't think you want to get that all from simple sugars in energy gels and drinks.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Phil got boiled eggs and I had 3+ of those. Crystal made boiled potatoes and I had some of those. Crystal & Phil brought me back a burger from BK for dinner, and I had most of it.  I also had a PB&J, and a ham & PB sandwich.

I dropped at 10pm w 60mi in - my longest run - and we went to get Chinese food Smile

Durrr

So what do you think that another 10 hours of running would've felt like? To me the notion of a 14-hour run is incomprehensible enough.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It would have felt like a lot more walking Smile

And I bet I'd be a lot more sore - feet and legs.

I was happy on Monday when I could sit and my feet didn't feel uncomfortable -- at first after the running, it was uncomfortable to have my feet lower than my body.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Leveraged it into a 7D mileage record:

Last 7 days: 130.9 mi 23:51:37
                      Last 30 days: 337.6 mi 53:30:14

Durrr

It's remarkable that nearly 50% of that titanic tally was accomplished in one day!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

New 7D record today. Should stand for at least 364 days. Maybe more depending what happens next year at VA24, and how I feel the following week.

7 days (141.2 mi)

2014-04-26 - Today
                          1 wk
                          20.2 mi / day

Nice mileage. Now just don't let it haunt you in the future that you used to run a 140 mile week and these 70 mile weeks just seem like not even trying. That is your curse.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I ignore your curse so it won't attach.

As may not surprise, the most painful day was the day after the 60. Only accomplished about 5mi that day, and they were tough.

philibusters

New 7D record today. Should stand for at least 364 days. Maybe more depending what happens next year at VA24, and how I feel the following week.

7 days (141.2 mi)

2014-04-26 - Today
                                1 wk
                                20.2 mi / day

Well maybe if you drop 40 at Endless Summer you'll be able to match that. However that is right in the heart of summer so that probably would not be a good idea.