The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Durrr

Yesterday I completed the longest run of my life: 16.22 miles in 2:07:##, which equals an average pace of about 7:50-7:55 (I was certainly going much slower than that at some points, though). Where did this epic run take place? I did it on THE course --- the actual LPR Marathon course. The grassy/earthy turf of Greenwell has been excellent for my feet and legs, but after going through that 5k loop 10 times over the course of 2 back-to-back Saturday runs, I desperately needed a change of scenery. I'd been contemplating tackling the St. Mary's River State Park loop ---- X 2 --- but eventually came to my senses; transversing 16 + miles would be a major challenge over any course, and attempting to do it over the hellish terrain of SMRSP would be utter folly. Therefore, after some further deliberation and some investigation via mapmyrun.com, I headed to Food Lion --- the Callaway Food Lion, that is. At the stop sign standing at the end of the short access road that cuts a path from the shopping plaza's rear to 249, I began my journey. Right away I was confronted by incline after incline, and the 249 traffic whizzed by intensely from either direction. Also, I was kind of weighted down --- my bulky new watch hung heavily from my left wrist, and I had to carry a mini-water jug in my right hand (this was a point A to point B and back again run, so towing the jug along with me was the only possible means for hydrating throughout). Despite its weight, the watch --- a Forerunner 205 --- is quite handy. In addition to recording time, it accurately measures distance covered (via satellite) and gives continuous updates on your mile pace. Anyways, around five miles or so, the traffic all but ceased, and buildings gave way to forests and empty fields. "Desolate, forsaken land!" I cried --- probably because, for the third Saturday long run in a row, the skies were heavily overcast and dreary (it was warm enough, though, to feel hot in a long sleeve T-shirt). I was now running along my familiar Tall Timbers/Piney Point stomping grounds, and I kept going until just before the St. George's Island bridge. There, at 8.11 miles, I made my U-turn. Needless to say, the return trip was far more grueling. It's of note that, at 13.1 miles (a half marathon), I reckoned a time of 1:43 something. Luckily all those early inclines were now declines, but there were also a few formidable declines that had become inclines. I actually heard myself whimper a bit during the final two or three miles, but I trudged it out and finished honorably in the aforementioned time of 2:07:## --- a minute faster than what I did 15.65 miles in last week. Indeed, pavement proffers swifter times than do grass and dirt, but the impact on the old lower extremities is tremendously more intense. And yes, I did look just a bit odd staggering through the grocery store parking lot in my post-long run stupor, and even worse when I launched into two short, sloppy strides. All that aside, this run was a mile stone: at 16.2 miles, I'm just 10 miles short of a full marathon! And if I can maintain yesterday's pace during the actual race, I'll be in the running for a sub-3:30 marathon!
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Great job -- very fast. I was doing easy & beach runs til I strained my back a week ago, probably by picking up & hurling about children too often over holiday, and I've been on a rest since then. Will probably start back up shortly.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

I read in my marathon book that fast long runs are one of the most common mistakes made by beginning marathoners --- mainly because each one is like a marathon race in and of itself, and they'll inevitably wear your legs out before the actual event. So from now on I think I'll try not to exceed and 8:15 or so pace.
        Durrr

Yesterday I completed what was by far the longest run of my life --- 17.5 miles in 2:21:19. The previous three Saturday long runs were 15 miles, 15.6, and 16.2, meaning weekly increases of 0.6 miles. Yesterday, however, I decided it was time to bump things up a notch, and I added 1.3 miles to last week's distance. But as you can see from the time, I slowed my pace yesterday. Here, I'll let my fancy new watch do the reporting. 1) 1/05/08: 17.50 miles in 02:21:19 = average pace of 8:05 per mile. Calories burned: 2,765. 2) 12/29/07: 16.22 miles in 02:07:25 = average pace of 7:51 per mile. Calories burned: 2,637. The somewhat slower pace yesterday wasn't completely intentional; I realized immediately that my legs (especially the left knee) were still very much feeling the prior swift long run, and I was also still a tad sick from the surprise cold I concocted last weekend (a word of warning to would-be marathoners: two hour + long runs are extremely rough on one's immune system, making you highly susceptible to common ailments. If you drink alcohol and stay out late after such a long run, you're almost guaranteed to get sick). Oh, I haven't even mentioned where yesterday's run took place. I went back to the Callaway Food Lion and, beginning by the same stop sign, I followed 249 until Lighthouse Rd, where I made a right and ran all the way to the grounds of the Piney Point Lighthouse itself --- a perfect 8.75 miles (which, as recently as late August, represented the full extent of my long run!). There I made the U-turn, and I headed back exactly the way I'd come. It was hellishly grueling, indeed, and I've never known such fatigue. My suffering was at one point fleetingly forgotten, though, when I looked up at the pine trees and saw a majestic bald eagle spread its vast wings and take flight just 20 feet over my head! Ah, if only I could soar across pavement like that patriotic bird can through air. Once again it was dreary and overcast for most of the long run, save when I struck up Lighthouse Rd. There and then the sun peaked out, igniting the ripples of the Potomac which spread away to my left. Anyways, I all but collapsed whilst staggering towards my car upon completion, and the two short strides I attempted ended abruptly with stabs of pain in my knees. Marching into Food Lion, I got a few cross looks from baggers and customers alike, and when I beheld reflection in the bathroom mirror I realized why. My face was BEAT red with cold and chafing except for the white streaks of solidified salty sweat. And after using the facilities, I discovered that other areas were severely afflicted by the chafe as well, even though I'd slathered on moisturizer beforehand. For future long(er) runs, I may have to resort to extra-strength Vaseline.
          Spoon

Are you using vaseline lotion or vaseline gel for chafing? Try the gel if you haven't - swore by it. Also, are you planting water/gatorade bottles along your running route? How bout energy gels? You really gotta to try to take in some energy every 5 miles...
            Durrr

It would be alot of work to plant and retrieve bottles of water along almost nine miles of rural highway, so I've gotten into the habit of bringing a small water jug along with me (best kept in the front pouch of a hooded sweatshirt). On Saturday I rationed it to last until mile 16. And I haven't yet used actual vaseline, just regular moisturizers/aloe healing creams. What performance gel brands would you recommend? I'm curious to hear how Rick and Joe's roads to recovery from injury are going.

Diesel Power

Well enough by my standards, but DR would be upset about my lack of running recently. I've taken the last five days off after some rather serious pain started in my right foot.
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I started running again after my week off, and did 4 mi Fri & Sat, then took Sun off. I had chafing when I was doing long distance in the summer too, and I didn't figure out the answer -- that is when I started wearing all synthetics, I think -- which did not solve it. I had chafing also at that 25K Greenwell run I did with you a couple weeks ago, DR. I'm interested in what answer you find to chafing, b/c I am thinking of doing a long run each weekend from now on, and I expect to see that problem again.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

re: planting bottles of water Actually, if you did that course in reverse, the planting would be on your way -- I mean, if you drove to the lighthouse, you could plant them as you drive down, and then run lighthouse to supermarket back to lighthouse. I've considered doing something like that, but, I'm not sure if I want to plant water bottles along the road like that. I might try that at Pt Lookout tho, where I'd try to hide them at spots off the road on my way in, to be picked up later.

Durrr

That does sound like a clever solution to the water bottle planting riddle. But I'd also be leery of placing them along a populated rural highway like 249; some farmer or hunter might be liable to find the water first. Also, what if I picked up and drank from some disease-ridden littered water bottle by mistake? Still feeling Saturday's run, yesterday I did three majorly mild maintenance miles --- at a 9:16 pace! And it felt really hot and humid, too, making it hard to believe that, just four days prior, I'd had to wear two heavy layers while trotting over the rock-solid frozen ground. I was glad to observe, though, that the light is gaining sway over the darkness --- it didn't get dark until about 5:45 p.m.
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ya, I haven't left water bottles out for exactly the reasons you mentioned -- I'd feel more comfortable if I had them somewhat hidden. BTW, I just rediscovered the gmap pedometer, eg, http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1536363 is a route I created around the perimeter of Chancellor's Run Park to see how far it is. My run yesterday was abt. 7mi at an 8:30 pace -- faster than my customary, but not too uncomfortable, so I think I've become a bit more comfortable with a bit faster pacing.

Durrr

Yesterday I snuck out of work a half an hour early and headed over to Ryken. I'd hoped to find the place relatively vacated, but due to a couple basketball games and other apparent activities, the student parking lot was still packed. The track, however, was all mine --- after my 1.5 mile warm up around campus, of course. My marathon book divides the four month plan into three phases: endurance (long run: 7-19 miles), stamina (long run: 20 + miles), and taper (the two weeks before the marathon). While tempo runs (warm up 10 minutes, then run 3-5 miles at a pace faster than intended marathon pace, the cool down) are stressed for the stamina phase, a large quantity quarter-mile repeats are the key to the endurance stage. So on the track yesterday I did 8 X 400, albeit much slower than I'm used to. I decided to run them all no faster than 1:40 but no slower than 1:45, and I did just that --- except on the eighth and last one which I did in 1:33. A 1:40 400 is somewhat effortless for me, so the main challenge was to hold myself back (though not too much). It did get tiring towards the end, I admit, so overall it was a good workout that put very little stress on my legs. The sun light persisted throughout the 400s, and I didn't have to hit the indiglow button until I started my six-lap cool down. Next week I think I'll try 10 X 400, and then 12 X 400 the week after then.
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've decided to do the marathon too -- maybe because I was psyched after that Greenwell run before the holidays. But, my base isn't good enough, and I've not enough time to go up slowly, so I plan to do Galloway style long distance runs, and for the marathon. My tentative plan is to run 4min and walk 1min, repeat indefinitely, at a 9:00min pace for the running. This weekend I'll go try a long run like that, to see if I'm comfortable with it, and also out of curiosity to see what min/mile I net with that. My idea is that this will allow me to run the marathon at lower risk of injury than if I fully ran it, and this should give me a nice slow marathon, so I could do my next one aiming at a faster pace, and perhaps aiming at doing it all running -- altho, who knows, maybe I'll like the Galloway alternating so much I want to stick to it. I should have a better idea after I experiment with it this weekend. Jeff Galloway's walk break propaganda page: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

DR, I've read about "Yasso 800s" http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-624-0,00.html Difficult for me to believe that it is really reliable, but it sounds pretty similar to the 400 intervals you're doing.

Diesel Power

I'm curious as to whether or not the book details anything about VO2 max training...