The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

philibusters

DR that is your first win in a non-Southern Maryland race.

This is setting the stage for a showdown between you are Karsten.  Maybe 2015 LPRM is the year you challenge Wardian.

philibusters

Actually you won Crofton 10K so it was your second non-Southern Maryland win.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

First win in a DC-area race. Congratulations!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Congratulations DR!

Durrr

First win in a DC-area race. Congratulations!

That aspect left me rather befuddled over the lack of competition. Karsten is of course on the comeback trail, so he wasn't in the best position to challenge me, but I really expected there to be at least a couple other guys present who could finsih sub-80:00. Ironically, my best potential competition would've also come up from Southern Maryland:  Brandon Demers --- though obviously he didn't make it there.

Durrr

I just hyperlink-illustrated my race report.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I just hyperlink-illustrated my race report.

I went looking in your log, where it isn't hyperlinked, but finally figured out to look one page back in this thread. Nice illustrations.

Durrr

Good to see Joe's name on a race results list again (the first time since the LPR10 last October, I believe).

It was a nice little run, but towards the end I got a little competitive about wanting to beat Offenbacher, who I ran with for most of the run. I had to stop to tie my shoes around mile 4, so he gained several seconds on me when I did that. I then worked to catch back up to him over the next mile or two, passed a few additional people, and then came in at an overall okay pace.

Liza asked me if I was doing the marathon. I told her I wasn't sure I'd be ready due to my injury. She said they had maybe 55 slots left and that she'd save me one. I feel a little bad having her save me a spot. I'm considering just registering anyway, but the odds of me running it are not good. That 6.5 miles is the longest run I've had in months.

Durrr

Now this was a close one.

philibusters

I decided on Thursday to run the 30K at Dismal Swamp.  I found out last night that there was no same day registration. However, my friend Mike knew the race director and asked him to make an exemption, thus I got to run the race after all.

Mike and another guy, Dave, who I had never met before were treating the race as a hard workout for their upcoming marathon rather than a race.  The workout was as follows:

First 5K

Run the first 2.5 miles at 7:10, then the next .6 at 7:20 to 7:30.

Second 5K

Run the first 2.5 miles of this 5K at 7:05, then the next .6 at 7:20 to 7:30.

Third 5K

Run the first 2.5 miles of this 5K at 7:00, then the next .6 at 7:20 to 7:30.

Fourth 5K

Run the first 2.5 miles of this 5K at 6:55, then the next .6 at 7:20 to 7:30.

Final 10K

Run what you feel, push it hard but don't race it.

Both Mike and Dave are slightly faster than me.  They are both hoping to break 3 hours at their upcoming marathon.

What actually happened:

First 5K

Ran the first mile in 7:03 despite feeling like we were holding back.  Ran the second mile in 7:06.  The third mile had the slow down part in it,so we ran 7:10.  It all felt pretty easy earlier.  There was a light drizzle but the rain was not coming down hard, though I was soaked because it had rained hard before the race started.

Second 5K

My fourth mile had .1 slow, then we tried to pick it up to 7:05. We ran  7::06.  We ran the next mile in 7:05 so everything was just as planed.  The sixth mile was only in 7:11 (the slowest mile of the day), but it did include .4 miles at the slower pace.  The rain was still a slight drizzle.

Third 5K

My seventh mile was 7:06.  That included about .2 miles at the slower pace and .8 was supposed to be at 7 flat.  The eight mile was 7:05 which I think was a disappointment to all of three of us as we were hoping to run 7 flat.    The 9th mile was in 7:10  which again was slow, though the last .2 were supposed to be at the slower 7:20 to 7:30 pace.  There was a slight drizzle during this portion of the run but I was completely drench as the drizzle adds up.  I took a gu during this 5K.

Fourth 5K

Mile 10 was in 6:54.  We were supposed to be running at 6:55, but we must have been pushing as the .3 were supposed to be at the 7:20 to 7:30.   My instinct is the slow part was actually in 7:05 to 7:10 and that we ran remaining .7 at 6:50.  The next mile (number 11) was 6:49 so were 6 seconds under what their workout called for.   At about this time I started to realize that I was the fat slow runner in the group as I started to huff and puff and they made fun of how much noise my shoes were making hitting the ground asking me if I was marching in formation.  We slowed up a bit in mile 12 hitting 6:53, though I think that was cause we ran .2 of this mile at a slower pace..

Final 10K

Mile 13 was in 6:58 but that is a bit mileading because it contained .4 at the slower pace.  I was moving close to 6:45 when I was going all out. The other two guys started to pull away from me, but a bit slower than all three of us expected.  They planned on running the final 10K at 6:40 pace with perhaps a slight pickup in the last mile.  I ran mile 14 in 6:40 and as the mile ended I was only five seconds behidn them.  Mile 15 was in 6:42 as I continued to work hard.  I ran Mile 16 in 6:48 and the slight fade was officially on. I was tired.  The two guys I had run with were maybe 20 seconds in front of me.  Mile 17 was pretty painful and I was neither happy nor upset with my 6:52 mile.  Mile 18 was the most painful mile of the race.   A couple times I thought about running off the road and casting myself into the woods.  More realistically I thought would it would not hurt me too much too just slow the pace to 7:30. But I kept pressing as hard as I could.  I saw my boss from work (Major Robertson) at this point and he cheered me aas mile 17 at the same point as mile 13 (where he was at) but going in the opposite direction,  I ran 7 flat.   I ran the final two thirds of a mile at 6:53 pace.  It also started to rain hard for the final 10 minutes of the race for me.

I was pretty exhausted, but was satisfied with the effort and would give myself an A-..  I say the course was relatively fast a 6 out of 10.  The course would have been a 9 out of 10 in terms of speed given the weather and lack of major hills (just rolls) except the rain and being soaked slowed me down a few seconds each mile.

I did not do the math here, so was that a sub 60 min. 10 miler in there?

philibusters

DR came close to going sub 60 for his best 10 mile stretch.

I probably went sub 70 for my last ten miles, but nowhere close to sub 60..

Durrr

A sub-6:00/mi pace would of course be required to go sub-60:00 for 10 miles (and my best 10-mile stretch today was only just under 62:00), but nonetheless I'd say that a 30k at sub-7:00/mi pace is quite a milestone for Phil. I should think that this must've bolstered your marathon confidence further.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm going to be annoyed when Phil passes me in the last 6mi at LPRM. I mean, I'll be happy for Phil, but.....