The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Who were these fast "sons of Jen" who battled Perry at Lancaster yesterday? Who won the women's race?

They run for Leonardtown, and their mother is in our training group. (Ok, "was", as our training group just completed.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I just saw Karsten's post on FB that Dawson's 10K was short; now I'm really happy I made the race sacrifice/switch Smile

Nice time, Perry. I generally like the course at Lancaster Park, but we tend to race there in the summer when the weather can slow things down a few seconds.

philibusters

Did you guys watch the USA Track championships last night.  The Men's 10K was slow (by elite standards) as Rupp barely broke 29 minutes to win.  Dathan got second and Derrick third.  No surprises.

Shalane dominated the female race.  The presumed second and third runners Kara Goucher and Amy Hastings both had bad fades (it was 85 and humid) and Jordan Hasay got second and I got remember the girl's name who got 3rd.  The women's race went out at a more honest pace but it destroyed Goucher who finished in fifth.

The men went out and did the first 1600 at a 4:51 pace, by contrast Shalane and Kara ran 4:55 for her opening 1600 so the women's race was much more honest.  But in the heat a lot of the women wilted.

The 2nd and 3rd place female finishers are both Salazar athletes now. Hasay is extremely new to his training camp. Hasay had some struggles earlier in the NCAA season. Many people are surprised to see his athletes get 2nd and 3rd in that race. Goucher fading after trying to keep up with Shalane is no surprise. The biggest surprise is probably Hastings dropping off as early as she did considering she didn't try to go with the fast pace at the start. Otherwise this race isn't nearly as exciting as even the trials were last year. The level of competition was relatively weak. Last year the competition level was pretty weak, but it was at least deeper.

I don't think Salazar is doing anything illegal, but my guess is that his athletes get almost weekly blood samples taken and that several of their key performance indicators like hematocrit are kept far above that of your typical non-Salazar athlete. He would also be quick to get thyroid medication or quality iron supplementation to anyone who had something to gain by it. I think he's doing everything legally, but I think there is a lot of wiggle room among what's legal to enhance an athlete's performance.

Although they finished in 2nd and 3rd place, neither of those girls have the standard required to race at worlds. They'll need to run faster in the coming weeks. I think Hasay has a 31:06 PR and she or the other girl will need to run 31:05 to qualify with the A standard. If one qualifies with the A, then the other only needs to get the B. Hastings has a realistic shot of getting in, as she already has the A standard and would be next in line if one of them failed to meet the standard. Goucher has an outside shot of getting in, but don't count on it. Expect her to run under 31:05 in the next few weeks and look for her teammate to be close behind.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I deduced from Joe's post that the #athletes is different for Worlds, from Olympics.

Here is my summary (based on the links below).

All participants in the 10,000m, 3000m Steeplechase and the Combined Events must have at least B standard (presumably b/c there are no prelims for these).

Every member nation can enter, per event:

• Up to four athletes if three have the A standard and one has the B standard (NB: But only three can actually compete)
              • Or up to two athletes, if both have the B standard
              • Or one unqualified athlete

http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/250099-2013-IAAF-World-Championships-in-Athletics/article/16572-Welcome-to-2013-Now-Go-Get-An-A-Standard
              http://www.iaaf.org/competition/standards

The Olympics also allow one athlete from an otherwise non-represented nation to enter one unqualified person in an event. I believe Saudi Arabia entered a woman in a track event this past year under that pretense and she competed as the first female Saudi Arabian.

Worlds gives an automatic entry to the winner of the event from the previous year. So for example Jenny Simpson will have a free pass into the 1500m this year and America will get to send three other entries. This is why Jenny is running the 5k instead, because she doesn't need to qualify in the 1500.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And (I read that) Carmelita Jeter pulled out of the 100, giving up her shot at becoming national champion, but she still plans to compete at Worlds, using her bye as reigning world champion.

The part that struck me as different from Olympics was that they can send 4 instead of 3, and the 4th can only have B -- also that they can send two with just B.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The Jamaican site doesn't have today's results up, but yesterday was the 200 semis, and Bolt isn't in them, but presumably he is going anyway as defending champion. I was checking b/c they said our (M200) champion won with a WL time, so I wanted to see what the Jamaican champion ran - but it was today as well, and I don't know which final (US or Jamaica) went first.

philibusters

Perry was maybe 5 seconds faster in the mile than I thought he would be given he had tired legs, undernourished, and the heat.   I thought on a good day when he had fresh legs and ate normal in 90+ degree heat Perry had between a 5:12 and 5:15 in him so to get 5:16 after completing either his fifth or sixth 100 mile week ever is pretty good.

Apparently exhaustion and malnutrition lead to smart pacing. Perry and Brandon ran the most intelligent races. Everyone else faded. I think for most it was a combination of thinking they'd be better at the first race than they are and then not adjusting properly for what the heat would do to them. The combination of those two things can really make the race insufferable in the last lap. Peter may have run the most painful race, as he thought he could go much faster, ran with the leaders, and faded significantly.

Durrr

Damn Demers! I believe this is the first time he's ever appeared at a summer track series event. But he, the self-styled "Quadzilla", looks like he's built to crush a mile race. And then how did Scott Fry run such a fast 400? Is he a legit sprinter? Anyway, yesterday evening I sweated more intensely when I got in my car after exiting the fitness center than I had whilst running on the treadmill (and it had gotten to be a dangerously intense treadmill run). The track must've been a veritable oven.

By the way, Perry, could you tell me how Grand Prix placement works when someone changes age groups amidst the year? Joe and I had a discussion about this whilst running on Saturday, but neither of us knew the answer for sure. I haven't run in a single GP event yet this year, and I'll be 30 by the time I finally do (at the Chaptico Classic ... unless by some slight chance I race the next mile). If I do end up factoring into the M30-39 age group, that means I won't have to worry about competing with Demers (who's already running away with the M20-29 GP division due to his strong claims at the LPRM and the opening track series mile).

Scott Fry is quite fast.  It is a gift as (to my knowledge) he does not do any particular type interval training or speedwork.  He doesn't actually do consistent running training.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Our GP age is fixed at the first race, whether you attend or not. That means it is fixed on Jan 1. So you don't age up until the Jan 1st following your birthday (or on your birthday for New Years babies).

This is contrast to Seashore Striders, which fixes their GP age at the first race that you attend -- so if your birthday is near the beginning you can make a tactical decision when to first attend.

This is also in contrast to USAT triathlons, which count everyone's age as of the end of the year, so everyone ages up together on the Jan 1 preceding their birthdays.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Drafted Sara thru a lap and a half, then led her around Katie H, but then Sara pulled ahead on the final curve and I couldn't catch back up -- so I got chicked.