The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I see kind of an amusing irony when considering that, while you didn't turn up in the results of the marathon I saw you running in, you did turn up in the results of the marathon I had no idea you were running in!

I had to read this several times, but then I laughed.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I had to read this several times, but then I laughed.

Haha!  Yeah, I had to read that several times too, and with the right inflection.  Nice.

Durrr

You don't need to pay attention to the tweaks I just made to my LPRM report; I just needed to make a couple fixes (for instance, I'd mentioned that I finished 49th overall in 2009 --- but in truth I was the 49th male finisher and the 56th overall finisher).

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Kara told me about this report: http://lesserismore.blogspot.com/2014/03/race-report-2014-shamrock-marathon.html

I'm in one of the photos, and Phil is in two of them. Jen, the girl in green, is the one who was right behind me on the boardwalk, and is the reason I picked it up at the end, hearing her footsteps behind me.

Durrr

Darn it, Phil, you could've had him.

philibusters

I ran a disappointing 19:20 5K on Saturday on a short course.

The first mile felt pretty easy and I ran it in 5:59.  The pace felt comfortable, but the first mile is downhill.  I ran the second mile in 6:20.  The second mile was probably relatively even in terms of ups and downs, but it had a lot of hills so that we were going up or down most of the second mile.  It felt like I had no pop in my legs in mile 2 as they were just tired.  There was a light rain through out the race and I was soaked.  I was hoping to pick it up the 3rd mile but the third mile is the toughest as it has a lot of up and downhill and overall has a net uphill.  I ended up running 6:28 for the third mile.  I likely would have run about 19:30 to 19:40 if the course had been a legitimate 5K.

I was disappointed in the race but it was a slow course and I started the race already tired.   I am looking forward to getting some speedwork in then giving the 5K distance another try.

Durrr

Sounds like it would be nearly impossible to run negative splits on that course --- assuming you went out fairly hard. Also, 13 days post-marathon is certainly not the time to expect a PR 5k performance.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Crystal alerted me that the Paris result is in.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'll be happy to see Phil beat 6:32 pace.

Actually given how I performed today (20:06 at Trouble 5K), I may be happy to see myself beat 6:32 pace tomorrow at Cherry Pit 10-miler.

I did much worse than that. I ran 1:13 or 1:14.

philibusters

I did much worse than that. I ran 1:13 or 1:14.

It was a traumatic week for you with your streaking ending.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It was a traumatic week for you with your streaking ending.

+1!

Smile

DR, what happened today?  We were all a little mystified that we did not see you cross the finish line.  Your fb post seems to indicate an injury?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm deducing that since Phil logged a regular run today, he didn't race today.

Durrr

DR, what happened today?  We were all a little mystified that we did not see you cross the finish line.  Your fb post seems to indicate an injury?

I'd hoped to check in with you and Perry once I finally made it back, but I think you all were out running some more. But I did talk with Jeff Thomas, Brian Petrie, Gary Howard, and Virginie (and Blaine had of course given me a lift in his car), so I trusted that word would get around that I'd not vanished somewhere along the course. Anyway, I just logged about my first DNF experience. The good news is that I avoided a real injury, as I think it's just a bad tweak to my calf. The bad news, however, is that to avoid the injury I had to forsake a clear shot of achieving my first ever Hospice victory.

I can definitely now identify better with Perry's LPRM DNF experience --- though just imagine how Perry would've felt if he'd been on his way to winning the marathon! And also like Perry, my inclination right now is to find another race ASAP (preferably a winnable 10k). Except I know that I need to be patient. My only actual concern should be ensuring that I'm able to attend and finish the St. Michaels' Half Marathon on May 17, which I've already registered for (at great cost). Furthermore, I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am that, even though I dealt with extreme fatigue toward the end, everything during the marathon "held up". In retrospect it seems like it would've been so easy for a crippling calf cramp to occur somewhere along the 26.2 mile route (yesterday I couldn't make it 2.2 miles without limping!).

So, the Hospice 10k was a dubious bet to begin with considering its close proximity to the LPRM, and my rushed training for it (while hardly recovered from the marathon) was definitely risky. But all that aside, I think I'm going to have to further reform my race week routine. I really got carried away with that 8-mile Breezily Brisk on Tuesday (just 3 days after a sub-7:00/mi Greenwell trail run) and, despite taking Wednesday off, Thursday morning was a bitter recovery run. Friday was worse. Saturday was the worst.

philibusters

I had a similar experience at the Crofton 10K (though with my hamstring).   If you are like me, you'll probably be able to run fairly quickly, but speed work will put you at danger of aggravating it.   I'd take off 4 to 7 days then start running again.  Remember calf and hamstring issues are the two injuries that always know my out.  I have never had a foot, quad, or knee issue.  The key to remember about these issues is speedwork to quickly will reinjure it.  On the bright side however, usually you can return to easy jogging fairly quickly and I think its get the muscle some blood flow.