The beautiful persons club

I knew I disliked Ugg boots for a reason. (Read 384 times)

Podiatrists and chiropadists believe the boots, which are particularly popular among young teenage girls, are leading to a rise in the number of people suffering pains in their feet and knees.

Dr Ian Drysdale, head of the British College of Osteopathic Medicine, believes because the foot does not get the proper support on the inside, it will lead to more ankle, knee, hip and back problems.

"The particular problem with this type of footwear is it is unsupported. It's a slipper. You wouldn't normally expect to be doing outdoor activities from something that's indoor. If it's raining outside you don't wear your pyjamas. If you decide to wear your pyjamas outside all the time, someone will come up and say it's not a good idea.""These boots are not designed for outside wear. Just because something becomes a trend or fashionable doesn't mean it's good or right," he said.

Dr Drysdale explained that the feet issues become a particular problem among young teenage girls, whose bones are "plastic" and developing when they are growing.

"If that structure is developing in an inappropriate way," he said, "Then the ultimate structure will be deformed."

Mike O'Neill, a consultant podiatric surgeon, said: "As the foot slides around, you get wear and tear on the joints on the inside of the foot. The ankle is in the wrong position, the thigh bone also changes position, and you get an abnormal movement in the pelvis, which leads to back problems."

Ugg Australia, who make the designer version of the boots, told The Daily Mirrorthat their boots are "comfort" rather than "performance footwear" and consumers should be aware of "knockoffs" which lack reinforced heels or insoles in their boots.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/7447328/Ugg-style-boots-damage-feet-due-to-lack-of-support.html

Function > Fashion, amirite?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I hate them because they are fugly.  And because my MIL wears them with her Christopher & Banks embroidered sweaters. 

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

For their original purpose - hanging out on the beach after a morning of surfing - they're great.  I have a fake pair, and I love them.

Of course, my taste is sometimes questionable, especially when it comes to comfy things.  If I thought I could possibly get away with wearing a Juicy tracksuit, I totally would.  God, I miss those. 

Amy

For their original purpose - hanging out on the beach after a morning of surfing - they're great.  I have a fake pair, and I love them.

This is true?  Surfer chicks were the first to were Uggs?  Wouldn't it feel nasty with a mixture of sand, salt, and water in that lamb skin?

This is true?  Surfer chicks were the first to were Uggs?  Wouldn't it feel nasty with a mixture of sand, salt, and water in that lamb skin?

The story I heard was that they were popularized by surfer dudes in the 50s and 60s.  Surfers have a high tolerance for sand and salt, so I doubt they care much.   

Amy

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*shudders* I HATE sand (which is funny, since we live on a big friggin' sand dune)...the thought of putting my wet, sandy feet in a pair of those almost makes me puke.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

I hate Uggs but I really cant criticize since I have been known to wear my purple crocs on a date.  But I am done with Crocs in rainy weather, thats how I fell down the stairs.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

These definitely would not pass "What Not To Wear" muster.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance