The beautiful persons club

Grandma's??? Bugs???? (Read 312 times)

The Greatest of All Time

Sitting here today I don't think my knees are going to be 100% for May 18. Not wanting to waste all of this work and wait around for my fall marathon I am looking elsewhere. I could force the issue and race in 2 weeks, but I would rather do my physical therapy, rehab 100% and do this correctly. Plus I could get one more steroid shot in about a month from now. I think I could take a little down time right now and regain any fitness or sharpness I lose before June 21...because, although Grandmas is closed I am currently high bidder on Ebay for a race entry and I think it's the last one. Bugs are you going to do Grandma's this year, either the full or the half? Just looking at the map I see you're a good distance from Duluth too. I will likely drive up on Thursday night or Friday. What's the scoop on Grandma's? I hear it's flat and fast. Is this correct?
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      Good luck with the ebay bid, Marcus!

Amy

The Greatest of All Time

Good luck with the ebay bid, Marcus!
        Thanks. We will see what happens. I am not going to spend an insane amount of cash on it.

Bugs

Bugs are you going to do Grandma's this year, either the full or the half? Just looking at the map I see you're a good distance from Duluth too. I will likely drive up on Thursday night or Friday. What's the scoop on Grandma's? I hear it's flat and fast. Is this correct?
          I ran the full marathon last year, not running it this year. It has been hot and humid the last two years, but do able. I didn't faint, how bad could it have been. It is flat but a little rolling flat, unlike Fargo ND that is REALLY flat. The course is not difficult. The elevation chart is misleading because it looks down hill, but it's not enough to feel easy. Towards the end, maybe mile 22 there is a famous lemon drop hill. The hill is tiny, not a problem for an athlete like yourself. One minute and your past it. The course is very pretty, great view of the lake, much of it in shade, but not the last miles. My running friends like it better than Twin Cities. It has a great variety of post-race food. (Sandwiches, ice cream, fruit, etc...) It's also has a fun post race party. Hotels are expensive, you'll have to say out of town, but you can drive to one of the hotels easy and get a shuttle to the start. I have a friend that is signed up and may not be able to run it, but don't know you want a bib # that starts with "F". Sorry I was not there for you sooner, I was in Rochester for heart tests, all normal..just a dizzy blond. Smile

Bugs

The Greatest of All Time

Glad everything is ok Bugs. I put my bid up on Ebay before I realized what a pain in the ass this race will be for me to even get to. I don't think there are any hotel rooms within 50 miles of the area. And if there are they are like $250 a night. I could fly to MSP, and take a shuttle to Duluth but still need a room. So, the most likely scenario would be for me to stay in Eau Claire, WI (150 miles away) and leave for the race at like 3:30 am which is going to suck ass. The last thing I want before a goal marathon is a two hour drive. I doubt DW is going to come because she doesn't want to burn a vacation day on Friday to make the drive up. So, shit anyway. I am so incredibly unhappy right now.

Bugs

Marcus, Chin up, it'll work out. It is a very nice run. I think the university rents out dorm rooms. I've heard of people staying in their car or tenting it. Plus there is also people that get injured and cancel their hotel rooms. I am not running the half, because of the cost of hotel room it is not worth it for a half. Next year my plan was to run Fargo. Although since I'm not a crazy fast runner I wonder if would be better to stick to the crowded fun marathons. Next November I'll probalby book a room for Grandm'as just in case.

Bugs

Bugs

You may want to look at the Med City Marathon. Easier to fly to.

Bugs

The Greatest of All Time

You may want to look at the Med City Marathon. Easier to fly to.
                  This one won't work. Too soon. I figure if I have to take all next week off that would give me 5 weeks to sharpen back up for Grandma's. Assuming full recovery, that's enough time but barely. I just don't know about my knees right now. They could be back to normal tomorrow or it might take another week. I assume if it's just overuse inflammation this shouldn't take long, especially with physical therapy. If I can keep my down time to 2 week or less I won't lose a lot of fitness as long as I cross train which I love so that's not a problem. I will call the dorms on Monday. They seem to be the cheapest options.

Another Passion

Sorry I was not there for you sooner, I was in Rochester for heart tests, all normal..just a dizzy blond. Smile
                    Good news, Bugs. Glad to hear this. Good luck working out the marathon logistics, Marcus.

Rick
                    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

The Greatest of All Time

Good news, Bugs. Glad to hear this. Good luck working out the marathon logistics, Marcus.
                      The Ebay auction ends at 2:00 CST. If I win the auction I will get up there to do the race no matter what. I am not giving up damn it. DW cannot understand why I am so hell bent on racing next month in light of likely missing my originally planned race May 18. I don't think she understands peaking at all. And right now I just have some finishing weeks to put on me and I will be ready to race my ass off. FWIW, according to Jack Daniels Ph.D. I can not run for up to 2 weeks and only lose <2% of fitness/speed if i cross-train. i can deal with that. that would give me 5 weeks do get it back and get faster at the same time. this assumes two things: 1. i recover 100% 2. i don't reinjure myself. of="" fitness/speed="" if="" i="" cross-train.="" i="" can="" deal="" with="" that.="" that="" would="" give="" me="" 5="" weeks="" do="" get="" it="" back="" and="" get="" faster="" at="" the="" same="" time.="" this="" assumes="" two="" things:="" 1.="" i="" recover="" 100%="" 2.="" i="" don't="" reinjure="" myself.=""></2% of fitness/speed if i cross-train. i can deal with that. that would give me 5 weeks do get it back and get faster at the same time. this assumes two things: 1. i recover 100% 2. i don't reinjure myself. >

Bugs

Marcus, I aqua jogged for three weeks for Grandma's last year, and hardly lost any fitness. I still think you should try the graston treatment. It is good for reducing inflamation, and if the problem is actually else where like your hamstring the doc should find it. I had TMJ a few weeks ago, my jaw joints were sore. I went in and he rubbed the hell out of my jaw and in a day it was better. My insurance covers it and I only pay $6, if you have to pay, just think of it like paying for a massage. If you were closer I'd haul your cute ass to my doc.

Bugs

The Greatest of All Time

Marcus, I aqua jogged for three weeks for Grandma's last year, and hardly lost any fitness. I still think you should try the graston treatment. It is good for reducing inflamation, and if the problem is actually else where like your hamstring the doc should find it. I had TMJ a few weeks ago, my jaw joints were sore. I went in and he rubbed the hell out of my jaw and in a day it was better. My insurance covers it and I only pay $6, if you have to pay, just think of it like paying for a massage. If you were closer I'd haul your cute ass to my doc.
                          Well bugsy boo...sitting here this morning I could probably run. Actually I know I could. But I am not going to. I have already wrote of my May 18 race. I am only out $60. No biggie. I may run tomorrow morning or I may not. I have already written off any serious training for next week entirely. However, if I was able to get a few short easy runs it, that would be great. My short-term goal is to return to regular training the week of May 12. Fortunately I have my gym and will cross train twice a day until I make a full return. Some elliptical work along with some weights will keep me mentally together (or at least I hope). And it will keep me from putting on weight. This is not a show stopper. I shall return. I am in very good shape right now from an objective strandpoint and know I can maintain it. This minor set-back just might make me more determined in the end.

Bugs

Great attitude Marcus, you'll have a great run at Grandmas. There are smarter people than me on this board, but I'm just not a big fan of elliptical, even though I own a $2500 machine. I think they are harder on the joints than people think. The aqua jogging keeps the running muscles strong, you can work on your cadence and do intervals. I also like the bike, especially if training for a course with hills. But the bike can hurt you too, maybe best to mix it up. The chance to flirt with the ironmen, may have some influence on my desire to get in the pool. Smile

Bugs

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck, Marcus! We'll be pulling for you. Gaining weight would be my biggest danger during a layoff, I think. I've gotten used to eating whatever I want!

The Greatest of All Time

Good luck, Marcus! We'll be pulling for you. Gaining weight would be my biggest danger during a layoff, I think. I've gotten used to eating whatever I want!
                                Must be nice. I am still very mindful of what I eat and probably always will be. I find just eating when I am hungry and not to the point of being full works best for me. I have been in a gym at least 5 days per week for the last 3 years. I am intimately familiar with most cardio machines and know how to set them up to give me a good workout. If I keep my heart rate between 140-150, that's like an easy run for me. This gives me time to work on other things too, like more core strength exercises, etc. I can always find something to do to maintain or improve fitness. I am not really worried about gaining weight. Now if I had to sit around and do nothing...I would go completely crazy. Thanks for the well wishes. I am sure I will be able to do some running tomorrow, but will take it easy.