The beautiful persons club

Helicopter parents not doing enough to let children fail (Read 445 times)

No kids yet, but not planning on being a helicopter parent when we do have children.  I expect that most of my child's education is going to come from me, and not from their teachers, because I don't really trust the teachers to instill our values for us. 

Our son is going to go to a college 2,500 miles away from us.  One reason is that I KNOW I am too controlling, so this way he will be on his own.  He'll be in my hometown, though, so there will be plenty of family nearby if he runs into problems.  I'm happy for him but will miss him terribly!  I know he'll do great.

Which school is he going to, and is he going to run?

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The book Freakanomics says helicopter parenting doesn't work.  According to the authors how lately a kid is going to succeed in life is long decided before the kid was born.  By how the parents behave, see the world, and their genetics.
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

No kids yet, but not planning on being a helicopter parent when we do have children.  I expect that most of my child's education is going to come from me, and not from their teachers, because I don't really trust the teachers to instill our values for us. 

Which school is he going to, and is he going to run?

Thanks for asking, Blaine! He got accepted to 9 schools, including Amherst and Wash. U. in St. Louis, but has decided to go to UT-Austin, where my dad is still a professor.  I don't think he will be running for the team - he's had a tough time running lately.  He just has lots of aches and pains, which somebody at the Y thought might be related to his growth spurt (he's grown about 3 inches the past several months).  We're also taking him to a PT and a chiropractor who helped his fast teammate, Mark MacCauley.

He really had to think hard about the decision, but decided studying biomedical engineering was worth not running for the team.  There are lots of great running clubs in Austin from what we hear, so he'll get hooked up with them.  Looking at his curriculum, I don't see how he could run competitively, anyway.  He has to take 16 to 18 credits every semester, and there are very few easy courses.  Lots of advanced math, physics, organic chemistry, computing, etc.

Here's a photo of him in today's Forecaster - he's in front, of course!  Feet not touching the ground, just like he's been this week about college!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Mr. Future Engineer tells me that running the washer and dryer is "complicated."     He's definitely in training to be a BP!