The beautiful persons club

Winter Racing? (Read 317 times)

What is everyone planning on running this winter. The guys decided to race at the USATF National Club Cross Country Championships on December 13th at Plantes Ferry Recreation Park - Spokane, Washington. So they told me that they do not care how bad I have been training or racing that it was time for me to get into gear. What a kick in the butt? Infact they drug me out for a 13 miler on trails Sunday and said that is only the begin. They told me that if I am not running under 15:00 for 5k again by November that I would wish I was not born. So I guess I have to get my lazy ass off the couch and start running 80 miles a week again. Good Luck Dead
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

After this marathon training nonsense I think I will enjoy running *only* ~25-30 miles/week for a few months. Phew. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I'm going to get this sub-16 5k out of the way (preferably on Sunday but 2 weeks after that if necessary) and then I'm going to take a little recovery time (7-10 days) before I start training for a 50 miler on January 3rd. My goal is to break the course record, which is a tad shy of 7 hours. Once I run that, I'll take some recovery time and then use that as a base to get myself into marathon shape for the beginning of May so that I can try to break my course record at the Cox Sports Marathon. That should get me through the winter. I'll do a few little races through the span such as the Mid Winter Classic (10 miler), New Bedford half marathon, maybe I'll run ING Georgia again if they wind up hiring me to speak at the expo.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Actually, I probably will do a couple of races starting New Year's day. There is a nice 6 miler (not a 10k, 6 miles...isn't that a weird distance?), then in March a really tough 15k. This past year we got dumped with 6" of snow and freezing rain the night before that race. I PRd against a lot of people who probably did much of their mileage on the treadmill over the Winter. Wusses. Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Blaine, what's the 10-miler course like?

Blaine, what's the 10-miler course like?
              There is a lot of up and down, but it's all really minor stuff of only about 50 to 75 feet or so. Here's my write up from this year's race, which includes the elevation profile and the map photo links to a google map that will let you check out the course: http://news.runtowin.com/2008/02/03/cape-elizabeth-mid-winter-classic-10-miler-2008.html I'm not sure exactly, but I think that that elevation profile is from the garmin and not the terrain database, so it's not that accurate. I can't remember when I started using actual terrain data for my elevation profiles but I think it was in March or April.

Run to Win

Bugs

I'm not sure what to do after my marathon. If anyone has some good article or books to recommend on periodization I'd be interested. I really trained hard for this marathon and think I pushed my body to the limit. I think I need a period of rest, some time in the pool, and weight training. I want to run Fargo Marathon in May so I'll be building back up the miles soon enough.

Bugs

I'm not sure what to do after my marathon. If anyone has some good article or books to recommend on periodization I'd be interested. I really trained hard for this marathon and think I pushed my body to the limit. I think I need a period of rest, some time in the pool, and weight training. I want to run Fargo Marathon in May so I'll be building back up the miles soon enough.
                  Heh, I'm writing a newsletter on that very topic right now. I try to take about a month of downtime after a hard racing season that culminates in a marathon. That usually involves a few days to a week off, and then I start doing short easy runs but spend most of my workout time lifting weights or swimming. The recovery phase is very often overlooked and ignored, and as such is one of the more important parts of your training year.

Run to Win

Bugs

Heh, I'm writing a newsletter on that very topic right now. I try to take about a month of downtime after a hard racing season that culminates in a marathon. That usually involves a few days to a week off, and then I start doing short easy runs but spend most of my workout time lifting weights or swimming. The recovery phase is very often overlooked and ignored, and as such is one of the more important parts of your training year.
                    Excellent. I have really struggled with a post marathon strategy. I'm in the best shape of my life, I hate to loose it, but I know I need some time off these feet. The pool felt so good the other day. Oddly enough straining this ankle was probably a good thing because it made me rest more. I do run 5Ks in the winter, but I compare them against race times from previous winters only, not summer times.

Bugs