The beautiful persons club

Another Note for Marcus (Read 321 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

This is my only way to communicate with you since I'm too big a weenie to post in the swamp! I just read that you left your job - congratulations! DH did that in 1998, and we started our own two-person firm. Best thing we ever did!! A little scary at first, but we would never go back to working for anyone else. We've made more money than we would have being staff engineers, and we can plan our own destinies/vacations! Smile My main advice to people starting their own firms is usually to get a good attorney and write a tight contract, but I guess you're set on those points. The next most important thing is to stay ahead of invoices - it is distressing how many people do not pay their bills on time. The excuses we hear! We have an interest clause in our contracts, but no one pays attention to that. We've probably been shorted about $2,000 over 9 years - not too bad. Good luck!!! I'm excited for you. Teresa
      I just want to chime in so that I could join Teresa in wishing you the very best of luck. And hey, if you decide that you want a complete change of scene, there's always the DJ circuit in Europe!

Amy

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, Marcus--congrats and good luck! What sort of law practice do you plan to set up (since my brother is in your area...if you ever provide services that he could use I'd definitely send him your way)?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Congratulations!

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The Greatest of All Time

Thanks you all. My business model is designed for extremely low overhead. In fact, I am the only employee. I can get added to my wife's health insurance for just under $200 a month. I am not yet 100% sure I am going into solo practice. I am going to play the street the rest of this week and see what's out there. But, I already have office space and all of that available to me in the heart of downtown Chicago. And Teresa, a large component of my motivation for doing this is for the reasons you stated. I have spoken with a number of solo practicing attorneys that have been my opponents. Without fail I am told it was the best decision they ever made and that they make pretty good money. My wife has an MBA and we put together a very solid business/marketing plan, along with a budget and financial forecasts. I have to assume no income for 1 year, which means my start-up capital has to cover pesonal and business expenses for one entire year. I have that. But we'll see. Zoomie, I will practice plaintiff's work in employment and personal injury law. I won't do anything complicated like med mal, but simple negligence cases or work injuries is pretty steady work year around.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomie, I will practice plaintiff's work in employment and personal injury law. I won't do anything complicated like med mal, but simple negligence cases or work injuries is pretty steady work year around.
              Ahhh...hopefully that is never anything he needs, but I will definitely recommend you if that ever were to happen or if a friend of his should ever need that service.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Best of luck, Marcus. I've noted reading a few times here and there that you were unhappy with your previous job, so I'm glad to hear you've made a move that will ultimately lead to a more thrilling career. I have to admit that when I first started reading this thread, I was like, "holy crap, he's moving to Europe to DJ."

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's great you can get health insurance for that price! I'm jealous. Our is ridiculous. Do you have to get professional liability insurance? That's our other big expense as structural engineers. It's wonderful that your wife can figure out the financial end of things! I do what I can, and then get help from our accountant, so that DH can concentrate on billable hours. You're smart to get real office space. We love working at home, but it is difficult to separate from the job at times. Whatever you decide, we'll be rooting for you!

The Greatest of All Time

I have to admit that when I first started reading this thread, I was like, "holy crap, he's moving to Europe to DJ."
                    That's plan B. Wink I hadn't really decided I was resigning until this morning. I wrote my resignation letter last night but was not 100% sure I was going to use it just yet. Last night I had a dream about resigning and remembered how good it felt when I woke up this morning. In fact this morning was the first week day I have woke up without this feeling of impending doom hovering over me in a long time. My wife told me it was a sign and to go with it. She's usually right about such things. I imagine I will sleep well tonight and have an awesome run tomorrow morning.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My wife told me it was a sign and to go with it. She's usually right about such things.
                      That's the awesomest (â„¢Zoomy) part. Spousal support is so key with stuff like this. It all sounds like it's going to work out great for you. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

Best of luck. Change is good. I did something similar last year by quitting a dead end job of 7 years, and it was the best thing I've done in a long time. The future may be uncertain but it certainly is brighter. Cool
                          Marcus, do you need a corporate associate in your new firm? Wink I like Chicago. Big grin

The Greatest of All Time

Marcus, do you need a corporate associate in your new firm? Wink I like Chicago. Big grin
                            Couldn't afford you, but thanks for the offer! Although running lunches along lake Michigan would be encouraged. Wink

Bugs

Marcus, This is an exciting move. I am very happy for you. I'm sure it was not an easy decision and think we're all a bit scared of change. I think your practice will be very successful. Great that your wife can help you. Good luck dear friend.

Bugs

Good luck Marcus. I'm mostly just a lurker and rarely say much, but I have really been inspired by your past and your positive attitude at all times. If anyone can do it you can!
                                Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers