The beautiful persons club

BP with Oil Wells (Read 455 times)

Bugs

How come when good things happen somebody always wants to get a lawyer involved?

Bugs

Bugs

Ops, I over wrote my original post. Smile Thank God it's Friday, still have to go to work. Sad

Bugs

Bugs

In the rare chance we find oil we should go on BP trip. Where would you guys like to go? Hawaii, Paris? Let's pick a good race with a marathon and half marathon.

Bugs

Wait...you might have oil? That's great! Good luck!

Amy

Bugs

Wait...you might have oil? That's great! Good luck!
            Ya sorry, I edited over my first post because well I am a dizzy blond, then got busy. Last night I got a call that I have inherited some mineral rights that was my grandpa's land, passed to his heirs, and from My Mom to hers. First they are drilling to just check for oil, gravel and other stuff. They think there is oil there. The pay check just to see if there is oil is pretty dam good. Kind of like winning the lottery.

Bugs

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck, Bugs! That's cool. There's an oil well in our family, but my grandmother had ELEVEN siblings, so my mom's share is not too big! A few hundred dollars every few months. Better than nothing, and it's fun saying we own an oil well!

Bugs

Good luck, Bugs! That's cool. There's an oil well in our family, but my grandmother had ELEVEN siblings, so my mom's share is not too big! A few hundred dollars every few months. Better than nothing, and it's fun saying we own an oil well!
                The payout for oil has to be better than just check for oil right? It was 700K just to check for the oil, but ya lots of people involved.

Bugs

A Saucy Wench

The payout for oil has to be better than just check for oil right? It was 700K just to check for the oil, but ya lots of people involved.
                  Whoa!! You know a group of runner friends had discussed meeting up for the Jamaica marathon some year, then spending a week.. That group has pretty much fizzled but I could see a BP Jamaica vacation. Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Bugs

Whoa!! You know a group of runner friends had discussed meeting up for the Jamaica marathon some year, then spending a week.. That group has pretty much fizzled but I could see a BP Jamaica vacation. Big grin
                    Excellent Idea. I bet we'd have more fun together than any of us would in a 'family vacation'. The whole mineral rights deal has turned not fun already. I could handle some time on a beach with at drink at hand. Think we can get the BP guys to go on vacation with us?

Bugs

A Saucy Wench

Excellent Idea. I bet we'd have more fun together than any of us would in a 'family vacation'. The whole mineral rights deal has turned not fun already. I could handle some time on a beach with at drink at hand. Think we can get the BP guys to go on vacation with us?
                      lol...only if they bring their wives. Big grin "Honey I am going on a trip with some runners I dont really know but they are beautiful people..k?"

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yep, the family politics are always fun. My great-grandmother had 12 kids and then died soon after (I wonder why? Tongue). Then my great-grandfather remarried and had a few MORE kids. There's still hard feelings about him leaving the family farm to the "second" family - they didn't appreciate it and just sold it off. I don't know if they got any oil money, though. As I've said in the past, I'm so glad I live 2,500 miles away from "home." An all-inclusive Jamaican BP vacation sounds wonderful! We could get sloshed on rum and then go for long runs. Big grin And then scuba dive with dive masters who say, "No problem, mon."

Bugs

A BP vacation with spouses sounds less fun to me, may change the XTing I had planned. Smile I should have known the whole affair would not turn into a nightmare. I have some advice for you folks, TALK to your folks about their estates, and double check their will. I never read it, I didn't want to seem greedy or that I wanted anything. My Dad's will was this, "1 Son gets this land, and the other 5 kids get everything else." The everything else ended up to be much bigger than we imagined. When we were dealing with the estate one sibling asked the brother if he wanted to throw everything all together, divide by six. He said, "No, mine is worth more." Turns out, maybe not. I am very sorry about him leaving everything to the 2nd family. That had to feel like a slap in the face. My Dad was remarried and we went through lawyers to settle the estate. They always kept their money seperate, and had an agreement to have seperate estates when they died. While my Dad was sick she played her cards well, got her name on his checkbook, did not pay the bills, moved things in her name. Ufta, even tried to sell family land that we have had for four generations. You know where that check would have been? Ah, the 'joint' really his checkbook. (Ya, his name wasn't on her checkbook!) She wanted half the estate! Then I found the prenup by luck, us kids never knew about it, that really changed things. There was some money that was my Moms who died 17 years before. My Dad left a letter saying that he never spent the money, he felt in belong to the kids. We ended up giving her the money so we did not have to sell any land. I don't understand this kind of evil and greed. My only resolve is one day I know she'll have to answer to God. We sold some land from the estate, was a really nice check. I remember walking into the bank and the teller's eyes just about popped out. I told her, "You think that a check like this would change your life, well it won't. Whatever you were happy about yesterday will still make you happy, and whatever you were sad about will still make you sad." She didn't believe me, but it's true, very true. So all things considered sponsoring a BP vacation sounds like a very smart idea. Now, how do we ditch the spouses?

Bugs

A Saucy Wench

See there are good sides for my parents being dirt poor! I may have to support mom someday, but there wont be any estate for us siblings to fight over. My bigger fear is that her current partner will suck her dry and then leave her penniless, but not much to be done about that. Not that much to suck dry either. I could see my sibs squabbling, but I'll stay out of it. I'll pass on my share if thats what it takes. My guess is her home is worth about $35K (mobile) and savings are under $15K. Thank god my dad left her a pension. I think all told MIL's estate is probably around 100K, including the house. So not much squabbling going on over there either. Actually with dh's family it will probably be more like "No no, you take it, No you take it." dh passed on his inheritance from grandma because he was working and both sibs were still in college so he figured they needed it more, and I bet it will be the same when mil passes. You should see them fight over the bill when we go out to dinner together (rare, we live very far apart) - they do stuff like try to sneak the credit card to the waiter on the way to the bathroom so the other sib doesnt get a chance to pay. It's hilarious. My family is more the type to excuse themselves to the restroom in the hopes that someone else will have paid the bill when they get back. Hmmm...I was thinking family vacation for Jamaica. Can't see dh keeping the kids while I frolic for a week.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

We could stick the little ones in the kids' program and then escape to the bar!
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We could stick the little ones in the kids' program and then escape to the bar!
                                I wish we could afford a vacation to one of those "Beaches" resorts -- same as "Sandals," but for families. Kids do their own organized stuff, mom and dad do what they want. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay