Ultra Runners

1st timer - Yes or No (Read 121 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

24 hour 28 days before 100

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I'd say no if you are planning on staying out there the entire the entire 24 hours and getting in as

many mile as possible.

If you're using the 24 hour as a training run to get in 30 -40 miles then yes if you want.

steph  

Birdwell

I'd say no if you are planning on staying out there the entire the entire 24 hours and getting in as

many mile as possible.

If you're using the 24 hour as a training run to get in 30 -40 miles then yes if you want.

+1

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Thanks. I will do my own 12 hour at the house.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

many mile as possible.

Agree.

It's not only the recovery from the 24-hour (if you plan to run most of the time), which should not coincide with the 2-3-week taper for the 100. It's also the risk of an injury during the race, which could require a break from running which then might prevent you from doing your goal race.

If you plan on still doing your 12-hr homemade run, leave some wiggle room in case it does not go as well as you'd planned. You have done almost 100% of your training, and probably will start tapering soon. The 12-hr now might boost your confidence, but it won't make or break the race. And be mentally prepared that it might not be as easy as you'd think. Your body is probably still building up now, so it might be more exhausted than you think, which will make a long run hard. At the goal race, after a well-planned taper, the long run will be much "easier".

Run for fun.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

At the goal race, after a well-planned taper, the long run will be much "easier".

I'm hoping!

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

Thanks. I will do my own 12 hour at the house.

12 hours is still a long time to run 28 days before your goal race.  What is the cut-off time for your goal race and are you sure you want to run that many hours in training?  The longest I've ever run training for a 100 is 10 hours and that was a month plus out.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

12 hours is still a long time to run 28 days before your goal race.  What is the cut-off time for your goal race and are you sure you want to run that many hours in training?  The longest I've ever run training for a 100 is 10 hours and that was a month plus out.

30 hour cut-off.

12 hours at by pace will be ~ 50 miles. It will be more time on feet t night. I read your 100 race notes. Staying awake is a concern. Probably will not have a pacer. Pistol 100 01/03/15. Mainly flat and paved limestone trail. I'm using the Ultraladies training plan for 1st timers. 30/20 B2B is done 4 times. High week is 75 miles. 275 - 300 for high month. Did 200 miles the past 3 months. Plan was 225+ this month . Did my 1st 50 mile on a trail 8/31. Sore for 6 days and could  barely walk. Osteoarthritis in right knee so I keep my paces >12 for the most part. The 50 miler was 45 minutes slower than plan. August heat and humidity  in GA  are real dog days.

PS: Stopping at 30 miles. Will get in more weekly  mileage.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

Uh oh... now what?

I just read your report from the 50-mile run.  That seemed to pretty well trash you, especially the part where you could not run for ...

Just a wild guess, but it might be more helpful to figure out a way to get in a few (three?) tenish-hour training runs scattered across October, November, and December -- Maybe something like (long-run hours for consecutive weekends) 10, 8, 6, 2 -- repeated through two cycles, but (bit but) only if you can run the day after the long run.  A short recovery run, 45ish minutes nice and easy the day after the long run is all I mean by running the day after.

Fighting for endurance fitness in the heat of Georgia would be very difficult.  It reads like you were just plain tired.  The cooler days of fall might let you run a bit more.

If you get comfortable with the second 10,8,6,2... do a third one.  Figure out when your taper starts and you have the last 2-hour day.  I used a two-week taper.  The last four Saturdays in hours were about 8, 5, 3, 1, 100-miles.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I just read your report from the 50-mile run.  That seemed to pretty well trash you, especially the part where you could not run for ...

Just a wild guess, but it might be more helpful to figure out a way to get in a few (three?) tenish-hour training runs scattered across October, November, and December -- Maybe something like (long-run hours for consecutive weekends) 10, 8, 6, 2 -- repeated through two cycles, but (bit but) only if you can run the day after the long run.  A short recovery run, 45ish minutes nice and easy the day after the long run is all I mean by running the day after.

Fighting for endurance fitness in the heat of Georgia would be very difficult.  It reads like you were just plain tired.  The cooler days of fall might let you run a bit more.

If you get comfortable with the second 10,8,6,2... do a third one.  Figure out when your taper starts and you have the last 2-hour day.  I used a two-week taper.  The last four Saturdays in hours were about 8, 5, 3, 1, 100-miles.

Starting this week the plan is 30/20(8-9H/5H) for 3 weeks.4th week 15/10. This should cover Oct-Nov and 1st week i Dec. 3 week taper. Ido like the last four Saturdays 8-5-3-1.

I checked m y log . Did 30 miles in 7:20 on a training in July .Did 34 miles in 7:55 in August at a 8 hour.trail race.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Miles4Maria 24H. 49 days from Pistol 100.Temps 20-50F. Wind chill 20F. Goal keep moving 24 H. Find out which cloths and foods work best.Nausea set in at mile 7 of Saturday's long run. Completed the 30.Volunteered the next day. Did not get in B2B 30/20.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter