Ultra Runners

First Ultra - Advice Please. (Read 72 times)

MonroeClark

Hello, so on October 25th I'm hoping to complete my first ultra. It's actually my second ultra but my first experience didn't go as planned and I was forced to drop out before completing my goal.  The race I've been training for is the Ghost Train Trail Ultra in Milford, NH. The race allows you to choose your distance in increments of 15 miles.  I would like to complete 45 miles but would love to hit 60.  However that's most likely out of my range. Or is it?  If any experienced ultra runners can take a look at my training log and let me know what you think (how many miles I'm ready for) that would be greatly appreciated.

Due to injuries and time constraints I wasn't able to put in as many miles as I wanted to so I'm a little concerned that I won't be ready. You'll notice on my log that I had a couple tough months in February - April.  I had a bout with ITBS and had to slowly work my way back.  I've been extremely conservative in my training since which is why there are no back to back log days. I've been trying to give myself at least 2 days off after a long day just be safe.  Not ideal for my situation but I decided I'd rather go into the race healthy and under trained.  Let me know what you think and if I'll be ready in a few weeks or if I'm in way over my head.

Cheers,

Chris

I haven't looked at your log yet (I will) but I did run Ghost Train last year as my first (so far only) 100 miler, and I loved it. The atmosphere is great, the course is flat (well, except for one little section that, ummmm, isn't. Heh.) and the out and back nature of the course lends itself really well to doing however much you want to do, and maybe more if you so choose. You never go more than 5 miles before you hit an aid station (and they're great aid stations) and you never feel like you're out there alone since people are always coming and going in both directions. However ready you are, it's a great race to do, and I'm envious because I'm not gonna be there this year. Have fun!

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Akultratrailchic

Chris,

I took a look at your running log and based on what you are telling me, I personally think you should stick with your 45-mile goal because as you said you trained conservatively which was smart to avoid re-injury and, as such, I think you should race conservatively.  If you had done some back-to-back longer runs and had remained healthy, I would be more inclined to say go for the 60.  Good luck and have fun!

Karen

corland

If you're worried about re-injuring yourself, then I might say stick to the 45.  If you've been feeling good though, go for it!  Take your time, fuel, hydrate, etc. - you can do it.

You've run 1000+ / year for the past 5 years.  You have some base, go for 60.

MonroeClark

I haven't looked at your log yet (I will) but I did run Ghost Train last year as my first (so far only) 100 miler, and I loved it. The atmosphere is great, the course is flat (well, except for one little section that, ummmm, isn't. Heh.) and the out and back nature of the course lends itself really well to doing however much you want to do, and maybe more if you so choose. You never go more than 5 miles before you hit an aid station (and they're great aid stations) and you never feel like you're out there alone since people are always coming and going in both directions. However ready you are, it's a great race to do, and I'm envious because I'm not gonna be there this year. Have fun!

Thanks for the info Greg. I ran most of the course once this past summer (only 5 of the 7.5) so I have a little understanding of what I've gotten myself into.  If I remember correctly that hill is pretty short only 0.3 to 0.5 miles but also the most technical part of the trail? I might head up to NH in the next couple weeks and run the entire trail to gain some confidence.  I found a video online from last year's race.  It's extremely well done and got me fired up for this year. It really did look like a great atmosphere as you said.

MonroeClark

Thanks Karen and Corlan for your thoughts. I'm not too concerned with reinjuring myself since I have no races schedule beyond this one, so if I reaggravate the ITB it's not a huge deal. I thinking that I'll plan for 45 and if I get that far I'll consider continuing on depending how the body is holding up.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Thanks Karen and Corlan for your thoughts. I'm not too concerned with reinjuring myself since I have no races schedule beyond this one, so if I reaggravate the ITB it's not a huge deal. I thinking that I'll plan for 45 and if I get that far I'll consider continuing on depending how the body is holding up.

45 is probably doable if the plan is to finish and not go for time. Refueling and the cold may become an issue.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

MonroeClark

45 is probably doable if the plan is to finish and not go for time. Refueling and the cold may become an issue.

The plan is definitely just to finish. If it takes me all day and night then so be it. Fueling is a concern of mine.  The weather not so much. Unless it snows and then I'm in trouble. The weather is so unpredictable this time of year. I watched a video of last year's race and of two year's ago.  Last year everyone looked freezing and was all bundled up. Two years ago everyone was running in shorts and t-shirts.  So who knows what to expect.

I have peeked a bit now, and I think 45 seems like a reasonable goal. As to the weather, last year it was freakin' collllld at the start but it warmed up nicely and it really wasn't an issue after the first 15. But yeah, ya never know. And yes, that single track hilly part is only maybe 1/3 of a mile if I recall correctly. It's really not that bad and in a way is a good break from the otherwise flat terrain, with the caveat that you have to do it multiple times and it magically gets diabolically bigger each time.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.