Ultra Runners

first 50k on 016 (Read 36 times)

billyd76

Afternoon all.  Registering for my first 50k next month.  Excited!!! It will be the 50k Hat run, located at Susquehanna State Park in Maryland, It is a very hilly trail run. I have ran 3 marathons, last one was the MCM in 011. Dozen or so half marathons and countless 5ks.   My only concern at the moment is I have two small hernias, one on the left and one on the right. They have never given me any issues. I have had them for over 10 years. Doc says if they don't bother me, don't bother getting them repaired. But with the terrain and distance of this ultra I'm thinking I should go ahead and get them repaired. The Hat Run isn't until March, so if all the surgery goes as well as what I have read about,, I should have ample time to train provided I get the surgery completed by the end of this month. Any thoughts, experience, advice would be certainly welcomed!!

Thanks

Keep Going

Afternoon all.  Registering for my first 50k next month.  Excited!!! It will be the 50k Hat run, located at Susquehanna State Park in Maryland, It is a very hilly trail run. I have ran 3 marathons, last one was the MCM in 011. Dozen or so half marathons and countless 5ks.   My only concern at the moment is I have two small hernias, one on the left and one on the right. They have never given me any issues. I have had them for over 10 years. Doc says if they don't bother me, don't bother getting them repaired. But with the terrain and distance of this ultra I'm thinking I should go ahead and get them repaired. The Hat Run isn't until March, so if all the surgery goes as well as what I have read about,, I should have ample time to train provided I get the surgery completed by the end of this month. Any thoughts, experience, advice would be certainly welcomed!!

Thanks

Honestly a 50k trail race (including this one) is so much easier on the body then a road marathon. So if you are currently doing road mary's such as MCM this fall then Hat isn't going to hurt as much.  Since it will be your first all you need to do is enjoy it and finish so you get the understanding of the distance. Then sign up for another one! Smile

100 milers are my favorite