Ultra Runners

2017 BUS Half Ass Trail Mix-Up 50K – Race Report (Read 44 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

PREFACE – Why did I do it?

Warning – long RR – feel free to skip to the race, skip the race, or skip to the last sentence (that one is short)

If you asked me at the beginning of the year if I planned to run my first 50K, I would have answered, “Hell No!”  If you asked me half way through the year, same answer.  My goal for 2017 was the Chicago Marathon in October with the hope of beating my marathon PR of 3:26:49 while secretly chasing a BQ ………and then somewhere along the way ……...The Rut happened.

Last year my wife’s friend asked me if I wanted to do a race in Montana with him and his brother in September - a mountain trail race called The Rut 28K.  At 28K or roughly 17.5 miles, I figured it would be a good challenging long training run a month before Chicago, so I said sure, what the heck.  My wife wanted to see Montana anyway.

Prior to The Rut I never ran a trail race, a mountain race, or a race at elevation before.  How hard could it be?  On paper, it was a bit incomprehensible to me – 7,800 ft vertical gain peaking at 11,000 ft elevation – yet I trained as best I could for it.  Didn’t matter.  Making The Rut your first off-pavement racing experience was like learning how to surf on the North Shore of Oahu. (See my profile pic)  The Rut chewed me up, gurgled a bit, and 8 hours 21 minutes later finally spit me out over the finish line - 11th to last of 395 finishers.  Body, mind, and especially ego were severely bruised. Humbling was an understatement.  Without going into all that went wrong, the bottom line was that, for whatever perverse or pathological reason, I actually liked it – marathons suddenly felt boring to me.

I learned two important things about myself from that race.  First, breaking up the repetitive pavement pounding with ample trail running during training helped keep my body relatively injury free – something I hadn’t been able to do the past two marathon training cycles.  After The Rut, my body bounced back fairly quickly – unlike after marathons.  Second, I was able to last for hours and hours and keep moving, albeit at snail pace.  I started to believe that I actually could do an ultra.  After the race I found myself looking past Chicago for trail ultras in the area.  I caught a new bug.

Chicago was a bust.  I was never fully healed from a hamstring injury from last year.  When I started full-on marathon training after The Rut, both my hammy and Achilles started acting up and I couldn’t train at marathon pace.  It was as if my body was telling me that it was done with this marathon business.  Another prophetic clue.  Chicago was downgraded to a fun run - 4:01:58 – hammy fell off around mile 16 and the heat kicked in hard late in the race.  At 46 my body parts were not as repairable anymore – the power train warranty had finally expired.

As I was immersing myself in the ultra calendars online, an old RWOL friend found me on RA and told me about a small low-key 50K in Queens.  I said I would think about it and decide after Chicago.  On November 1st I signed up.  And that was that – first 50K on the calendar with only a month to get ready.  My wife, well aware I was struggling with injury issues, asked if I was done racing after Chicago to heal.  I answered, “No more marathons.”  But I failed to mention ultras.

Sorry for the long back story, but that was how I unexpectedly got here.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Bert-o

I lost my rama

HALF ASS TRAINING

For a Half Ass race, I was fully prepared to do half ass training for it.  After Chicago, leading up to the race my weekly mileage was…. 7, 20, 31, 27, 41, 44, 57, race week.  Longest run was 16 miles.  About as half assery as one can get, cramming in the most miles the week before race week, like cramming the night before a college exam.  How often does that work out?

Since I was only familiar with 5K to marathon distances, I really didn’t know what kind of race or pace strategy, if any, was needed for a 50K.  Because I’m a HR data junkie, I figured I’d use HR to help guide pace during the race.  My best marathon HR was 165 (85% Max) to start with cardiac drift into the 170’s later in the race.  So for the 50K I planned to keep my HR comfortably below lactate threshold in the 155 – 160 range (79 – 82% Max) for the first 30K.  After 30K or so, I wouldn’t know what mechanical issues would creep in, so I’d do whatever my body allowed after that point.

Goals:

A – 10 min/mi pace (~ 5 hrs 10 min)

B – 6 hours

C – Finish

D – Don’t cry

THE COURSE

The race was in jeopardy of being canceled or modified to an all pavement course due to the RD dealing with health issues.  But he was recovering from surgery well and was able put together a 5K looped mixed pavement and trail course in Alley Pond Park in Queens just days before.  In an email he described the course….

COURSE DESCRIPTION***  The paved portion of the loop may feature the more challenging stretches.  There is a long significant climb (and descent) at the start on the Vanderbilt Motor Parkway (a bike path) for .45 miles to a right turn into woodsy surroundings.  At about .9 mile, you will enter the trail segment opposite ballfield #11 and will be continuous for next 1.4 miles.  The trail in the beginning is very runnable, but after half mile, the fun will start.  The next half mile would be considered “technical: this section will include roots, rocks, big and little dippers, a narrow passage, log & rock steps and flood boards.  The remaining trail portion will be better but still with some rocks and roots and a short downhill.  The final .8 mile of the loop are back of park paths, including a short stretch on smooth cobblestone.  You will scale of set of steps but with a ramp to lead you back to Motor Parkway and return trip to the Fieldhouse.

TRAIL HAZARDS: Almost the whole trail is covered with leaves.  Hence, those leaves are covering roots, rocks, rubbish, Rex Tillerson resume, etc.  Please watch your step and footing  But there is still an ample amount of tree canopy this late in December……………………………….............When you exit the trail, you will encounter a “dog park” and may be your fastest stretch of the loop.  The dogs are supposed to be gone by 9AM.  But have you ever seen a canine with a Timex?  The dogs are usually friendly; can’t vouch for the owners.

Got to Love a Course Map from a Xerox and a Marker

And as my friend explained it – it was a washer-machine course – going round and round ten times.  No timing mats, so hand timing as you rounded the cone at the start-finish line where the race marshals recorded your bib number and lap - pretty cool.  There was one aid station right after the turn-around, stocked with standard race refreshments, and right after that was the drop-bag area.

PRE-RACE

Got up, showered, dressed, ate my customary bagel with light cream cheese and coffee.  Pooped.  Loaded the car with all my stuff – two or three of everything, basically the kitchen sink – and left the house at 7:15 AM.  Arrived at the parking lot about 90 minutes before the start.  Picked up my bib and walked around seeing what the other runners were up to – what they were wearing, carrying, drop-bags, etc.  I saw a few wearing Altra Torins, so I decided to wear them too.  Monkey see, monkey do.

It was about 45 degrees, 70% humidity, cloudy, and little wind – pretty much perfect racing weather (except the humidity – but high humidity is normal in this neck of the woods).  I wore a blue long sleeve shirt and an orange t-shirt over it – Mets colors to support the home-town team – nobody noticed or cared.  Then screw them and the Mets.   Hat, gloves, shorts, Zensah compression calf sleves, Wrightsocks, and the Altras.  Salomon hydration vest packed with 2 Honey Stinger gels and one 500 ml soft bottle of water.  Being able to visit the drop bag every 5K meant we were able to leave plenty of goodies for pick-up later.  I found a spot for my drop bag which contained spare shoes (my marathoners – Adidas Adizero Boston Boost 6), socks, shirts, hat, gloves, extra gels, and special late-race nutrition supplements (more on this later).

Apparently the kitchen sink is “minimal” for ultra prep

3/17 - NYC Half

Bert-o

I lost my rama

THE RACE

Km 1 – 10 (2 laps)

Avg pace – 9:33 min/mi

Avg HR – 164 (84% Max)

As we lined up, 106 runners, the RD described the course and course markers.  He said we should try to memorize the course, especially the trail section, as he couldn’t guarantee the directional arrow signs would be there all day (or pointed in the right direction) – it was still Queens, full of misfits and all.  At 9:15 AM we were off.  The 106 starters included both in the 30K and 50K and you couldn’t tell who was in which race.  It was a mix-up in more than one way.

We ran up the first long hill, not terrible, but long and steep enough to make you grumpy.  It was only mile 1.  I looked down at my Garmin and my HR was already above 160 and climbing to 170.  My pacing strategy was out the window – I was nearing 10K effort on that hill.  I could have slowed down, but I was dumb.  We crested the hill and down toward the entrance of the trail section.  My right hamstring and calf started to feel a bit stiff from the hill – oh no.  The first section of trail was nice, smooth, and straight.  But then I started feeling a sharp pain in my right shin – shin splints – crap.  I couldn’t remember the last time I had shin splints!  I had been running in the Altras Torins since Chicago and it was a Jekyll and Hyde affair – some days they felt great like gliding on pillows, other days I’m fighting them and they’re fighting back.  Today Mr. Hyde showed up.  After the first loop I decided to stop and switch shoes to my marathoners.

As I sat next to my drop bag untying my shoe laces, my RWOL friend ran past and said, “Quitting already Bert?”  I laughed.  Starting back up the hill on lap 2, everything seemed much better – except my HR which was still too high.  As we entered the trickier section of the trail, I wasn’t very confident in my road runners on the leaf-covered trail.  On a steep downhill dip I watched runners fly down it like Florence Griffith Joyner glide through a sprint finish.  I, on the other hand, ballerina-ed my way down on my tippy-toes unsure if my Adidas would slide out on the leaves so the trail could tenderize my ass.  And how far were we in the race?

Km 11 - 20

Avg segment pace – 9:22

Avg segment HR – 164 (84% Max)

I finally started getting into a somewhat comfortable groove, high HR and all.  The small field of runners thinned out by now.  Running alone at times there were trail sections where you couldn’t hear any city noise, except for the occasional airplane overhead making its way to JFK airport.  It was nice to have some quiet time in the woods.  Then I came across an old Asian man walking on the trail while watching some Chinese video on his smartphone – a quaint reminder that I was still in Queens.  Even with a quick pee stop, I could see on my Garmin that my pace was picking up, as I was gaining more confidence with the road racers on the trail section.  Then my nose started to bleed.  I must have been blowing my snot rockets too hard.  It took a lap or so to get that little bugger under control, then I could continue sending snot rockets, but with less force now, probably sending a few of them on me.

So far every time I passed the aid station I took a cup of Gatorade, except at the end of laps 3 and 6 when I sucked a gel and grabbed a cup of water to wash it down.

Km 21 – 30

Avg segment pace – 9:44

Avg segment HR – 165 (85% Max)

The RD said the dog park closed at 9 AM.  What he failed to mention was that after they left the dog park they entered the trails.  By this time of the day more and more people and dogs went for a stroll in the woods.  By the end of the race, I think I met half the dogs in Queens.  Well, it was a nice day for December after all.  Fortunately, the dogs were as cool as a pack of Fonzie’s, as though the dogs knew we runners were “A-OK”, perhaps because we were wearing people-tags with uniquely identifiable numbers and must have had all our shots.  I could have sworn a couple of them gave a thumbs-up.  Somewhere along lap 4 I encountered a group of about 20 bird watchers.  “Excuse me, pardon me, coming through….”  I was tempted to look up into the trees to see what they were staring at, but I resisted the temptation – the smartest thing I did so far.

Nearing the half way point the guessing games started.  Running at near-marathon HR effort and HR consistently hitting 170+ (88% Max) on the hills and technical trail sections, I knew I was teetering on the lactate threshold cliff – would I fall into the bonk abyss?  If so, when?  Or would my hammy give out first?  Mental preparations of a death march started.  At the end of the 5th lap, I switched my near-empty soft water bottle for a full one.  I was stupid not to remove the empty one before I got to my drop bag.  I stood there fiddling away trying to get the empty one out then the new one in as my fingers weren’t quite cooperating.  I loved the Salomon soft water bottles, but they were a PITA to get in and out of the vest – unless there was something I was just not doing right, which was quite possible.  Lost a bit of time here.

Km 31 - 40

Avg segment pace – 9:56

Avg segment HR – 163 (84% Max)

Four more laps, four more laps…. That was all I kept telling myself.  My overall average pace was 9:34 and despite slowing a bit I realized there was a good possibility of meeting my A goal if nothing disastrous hit.  Yet my hamstring pain-o-meter rose to matched the lap number… 7.  The pain was just enough so that I could no longer ignore it.  “Think in terms of laps, not miles” I told myself… with 12 miles to go…. Crap!

It might have been lap 7 or 6 or 8 (I don’t quite recall), the men’s leaders started lapping me.  There were 2 in the lead running together.  Watching them run past me, they looked like a pair of stallions out for a leisurely gallop with smooth long effortless and elegant strides.  I, on the other hand, with short gimpy legs probably looked like a warthog desperately trying to flee a predator trying to take a bite out of my ass.  I may have sounded like one too.

My Adidas and warthog legs

At the end of lap 7, I saw my wife at the start/finish area who came out later to meet me.  I stopped and gave her a kiss and told her to meet me by the aid station as I made the turn-around.  At the aid station I grabbed a cup of water and my other bag – the one with car keys and phone.  As we walked I gave her the keys and phone and told her not to worry about the bags, since nothing left in them were irreplaceable.  When we got to the drop bag, it was time to fetch my late race nutritional aid – a pickle and a beer.

Now what’s that saying?  Never try anything new on race day?  Never did I claim to be smart.  But to give myself (some) credit, I did put a little thought into it.   This wasn’t some pedestrian Bud Light or put-hair-on-your-chest IPA.  The beer was Schofferhofer (say that 10 times fast) Grapefruit Bier that I put into 8 oz Poland Spring water bottles.  I had to de-fizz them a bit so they wouldn’t explode.  The grapefruit-flavored white beer had some sugars with the added pick-me-up.

So after 7 times running up that damn hill, for the start of the 8th lap, I walked up the steep portion of the hill while enjoying the pickle and beer.  The moment was short-lived but an enjoyable break.  That mile clocked at 11 minutes so I didn’t lose too much time.  The pickle and beer hit the spot.  I wouldn’t say I felt better, but the gradual decline seemed to have halted.  Pain-o-meter held steady at 7.

After the walking pickle and beer break, Garmin showed 9:38 overall pace.  Then the thought came into my head if a sub-5 was possible.  Nearing a full marathon distance, my mathematical aptitude was about the equivalent of a 2nd grader at best.  I already took off my shoes once, there was no need to take them off again to do simple arithmetic.  I dismissed trying to calculate a sub-5 attempt – second smartest thing I did, albeit because I was too dumb at the time.

Km 41-50

Avg segment Pace – 9:55

Avg segment HR – 161 (83% Max)

Rounding the cone to start lap 9 I gave the wife another kiss as I grabbed a Coke this time.  I noticed the race clock read 4:02, so it confirmed that there would be no sub-5 today.  What deranged thought entered my mind that I could race the final 10K of a 50K anyway?

To my astonishment, I still had enough in my legs to continue running up the hill on lap 9, while there were many who slowed to a walk by now.  On the out-and-back portion of the lollipop course, I spotted Bib #1 coming towards me – Julie Kheyfets, a young rising star in the local ultra community who was last year’s female winner at the NYC 60K as well as this race.  We smiled and gave each other a thumbs-up as we passed and she cruised in to the finish - 2nd place female this year.

Nearing the top of the hill I caught my RWOL friend.  He was struggling with a bad foot.  He had just run the NYC marathon last month as an Achilles Guide – an incredibly noble service – so I wasn’t surprised he was hurting at this point.  I told him only a couple more laps and he can do it, as I moved on.

I was still motoring along during lap 9, warthog legs and all, having passed the marathon distance and into personal no-man’s land.  I also noticed that my HR was falling, finally, though it could be because my pace was slowing from the hammy, the pickle and beer, or both.  Coming down the hill to finish lap 9, I pretty much knew I had it in the bag – there would be no death marching today.

As I passed other runners on the out and back portion, I noticed a guy who could only be described as Psychedelic Man.  While he was ahead of me, we passed each other on this section for the past few laps.  As we passed the final time, he also recognized me and complimented on how strong I was running and I thanked him.  After the race I asked my wife if she saw Psychedelic Man and she said yes.  Good, I wasn’t imagining him.

To start lap 10, I grabbed another pickle, beer, and wifey kiss just to celebrate the bell lap.  This time the pickle and beer didn’t sit so well in my stomach, but not too bad to affect my running.  It might have been the Coke that added too much acid, or the fact that it was 7+ hours since I had any solid food in me.  As I made my way around the final lap, I passed a number of other runners.  I gave them whatever words of encouragement would come to my mind.

5:06:18 – official time

17 miles pavement + 14 miles trails - 2,297 ft elevation gain/loss

21 of 62 OA 50K finishers / 18 of 50 men’s 50K finishers

I ran down the hill alone and across the finish where my wife waited.  I beat my A Goal of 10 min/mi pace – not bad for half assing my first 50K!  And to quote a stranger I overheard at the finish in Chicago, “I didn’t quit.  I didn’t cry.  I didn’t shit myself.  It was a good race.”  Oddly, the first thing I said to my wife was “Now what?”

Truth

3/17 - NYC Half

Bert-o

I lost my rama

POST RACE

After the race I thanked the RD for the hard work and commitments for making this day possible, especially dealing with the health issues.  He appeared in good spirits and sense of humor intact as he joked with DW.  I changed and ate some warm pasta to get something solid in my stomach.  It started to lightly rain, and I didn’t want to keep my wife waiting around with me for my RWOL friend.  We went home.  Later that evening we went to my favorite Mexican restaurant to celebrate the day.

Replenishing Vital Lost Nutrients – Chips, Guacamole, and a Margarita

Most of my NYC races have been large well-organized NYRR races, but they are also expensive, as expected.  This race was only $50 through ultrasignup.  You got a hat, shirt, finisher trophy, fully stocked aid station (with food too, but I didn’t bother to look), and hot food at the finish with soda.  For a race inside the confines of New York City, you couldn’t beat it.  It was worth double.  It was also nice not to have the NYPD manning corners, barricades, and bomb-sniffing dogs.  The dogs as crowd support were better.

Race goodies

And I rather enjoyed the course too.  Despite my questionable shoe choice, the miles of training on trails over the summer was invaluable, as I was inherently aware of the roots, rocks, and other hidden trail hazards.  Not even Rex Tillerson’s resume phased me.  No trips or falls (you would have heard about it).

I really didn’t know if my race pace strategy – using HR - was useful or not.  I probably should have taken it easier on the hills, if for nothing else to ease up on the hamstring.  However, once the official results were sent out, I realized I probably couldn’t have run a better race.  The 30K split was 3:00:18 and 50K finish 5:06:18.  Only +6 minutes on the back 20K!  (if you look for me online my real name is George not Bert ;-)  So after getting my ass handed to me in The Rut and a throw-away marathon in Chicago, this race saved the season.  Never could I have imagined my first 50K, signed up only a month in advance, would be my best race of the year.  Go figure.

The top of the trophy – in case you were wondering

3/17 - NYC Half

oldfartrunner

Great race and RR Berto! Love your RRs, they always crack me up! Ha!

Damn! You killed it dude!  Looks like Ultra running is you niche. You will have to carry the Beta Capsule now Ultra Man. Hai!

Oh!  You probably don't know who Ultra Man was. Here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL1p1iGZYb8

Image result for picture of ultraman and the beta capsule

RWD

What a fun time! I too have felt like a warthog among stallions. It's not a great feeling. The nature of trail running is so funny. You ran a 50K faster than a 28K and it makes perfect sense. 10 loops, wow, that seems both awesome and horrific. Congratulations on running a great race and seamlessly fitting into the world of ultrarunning with your pickle and beer.

Nasreddin Hoja

Nice Race and Report!

Pretty speedy for a warthog!

So the pickle and beer (or should I say bier) was something new for you?  Bold move, it sounds like it worked.  Nice job meeting your A goal on your 1st Ultra!  But, no pics of psychedelic man?

What’s next?

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR