Ultra Runners

My first Ultra. Advice Needed (Read 95 times)

Hallo,

Short introduction of myself: 44 years old. Started running 6 years ago, when I realized that not being fat wasn't equivalent to being fit ... and haven't stopped since then. 2000 km on my first year and 2000 M+ every year since. Run 9 marathons between 3h13' & 3h38'

Now, this year I was thinking about doing "something different"  In May I'll be doing my first Ultra, a 63km (mostly) uphill. You can find here the profile:

http://www.maratoimitja.com/mim/mim2012.html#

This race goes from the place where I was born to the mountain my dad used to bring us for summer camping, so it has a very emotional factor on it. I'm sure as well that it will be the most beautiful race I've ever run. My concern now is .. how on earth am I going to get prepared if I live and train in the flattest part of this planet: Belgium

I don't know either which kind of strategy should be the appropriate for such a race, when "all" I've done is run VERY flat 42km a few times and finished .. exhausted.

Any  "expert" advice about how to prepare for the race, strategies to follow and so on .. is more than welcome

Regards

Targets 1) No injuries 2) Keep having fun 3) Some kind of PR

Gumby66

That is a fair amount of climbing 2815 meters. Standard advice is to do long runs on terrain similar to to the race. That doesn't sound like that will be an option so you'll have to get creative. Treadmill hill workouts are an option. A machine that has some random hills would be nice. Some people use parking garages but a treadmill would actually be much better for your race as it looks to be mostly uphill.  How about some day/overnight trips to some mountains, looks like there are some not completely pathetic peaks in the south of Begium?

I'd also agree with tm, so you can get some continuous climbs in. Most of that route should be doable on a tm, which usually max out at 15%. You might be able to program some of the variation into a tm pgm, if yours has that capability. If you can take a trip to some mountains, that may help also,.

You can also do some leg strengthening work - things like single-leg balance squats, lunges, etc.

If you're planning on run /hiking then practice running, hiking, and transitioning. Have a plan.

Good luck. Looks like a nice course.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog