Ultra Runners

Nutrition advice for first ultra (Read 62 times)

clarentz

Hi all!  New to the group.  I'm currently training for my first 50mi (June 2016) and couldn't be more excited.  But I'm a type-a and I've been thinking quite a bit about the 'logistics" of carrying everything I need.  The race (Big Horn) will have 1 drop bag for the 50 milers.  No other support except at the aid stations.  I have a sensitive GI and can't have gluten, so I tend to stay away from all the goodies at the aid stations.  So my question is this:  if I'm planning on 200-250 cal per hour and I'm hoping for a 12 hour run...that puts me at 24 gels or 72 Perpetuem Solid tabs.  Add to that a water bladder in my pack and perhaps a few bandaids.  Even if I cut it in half and refill from my drop bag, that seem like a lot.  Can that be right?  Do you guys really carry that much?  I'm used to carrying a few gels for a marathon, but this seems excessive.  Thoughts?  Probably silly, but things  like this keep me up at night.  Literally.  Smile

Much thanks!  I have loved reading all the great advice on this forum!

Gator eye

For me, 200 cal's per hour will have me puking at mile 28 ish. Specially on gels or the sport drinks

I eat when I feel hungry And drink water when thirsty. I eat mostly fruit at aid stations unless something else looks good while standing at the aid station. I pack a can of peaches in my drop bag incase I get behind on food.

Can't see your log so don't know what you've done, but... Between now and then, as your long runs increase in time and distance, practicing what your system will need and tolerate will be every bit as important as the miles you run. There's a fine line between too much and not enough when it comes to fueling and it's different for everyone. Not only that, it won't even be the same for you every time depending on conditions, terrain, evil running gods, etc. It is good to have some sort of baseline idea of what you want to take in as you go, but that experience of what you can tolerate goes a long way. I can get through a marathon on a few GUs. In ultras I've erred both on the side of too much and too little. Neither extreme was much fun. There really is no one perfect answer to guarantee what will absolutely work on race day, but the more trial and error you can do beforehand, the better off you'll be.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Ditto what the others have said - test and find what works. I'm lucky to get 1 or 2 gels down in 10-13 hr events.

As far as volume: here's my pack from 13-hr race with no support - water from streams.

http://www.mtaonline.net/~aktrail/ResPass08/index0004.html

If you're planning on being out for 12 hrs, you may want some rain gear or at least a shell and maybe some other stuff. How much you carry may depend on escape routes available. We had no roads for 38 mi. Hypothermia is never good.

You might also check the menu at aid stations to see what they have. BUT they may not have whatever.

Have fun training, and good luck.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I agree with the others, trying things out is the best way to see what works for you.

I also have to keep my nutrition gluten free, and I found out that this can be difficult in races, depending on what they offer at the aid stations. MMT100, for example, does not offer gels. I had to rely on the foods I had brought along, plus fruit, potatoes, and maybe a few chips (unfortunately I also don't tolerate fatty foods well).

I use Hammer Nutrition's Sustained Energy as main source for calories. I either carry the dry powder, or have bottles with just powder ready in my drop bags. At the aid stations, I just add water to the powder. I carry the powder in small ziplock bags, and I cut off one corner, then fold over this corner and tape it shut. When refilling, I then can use the ziplock bag as a funnel so that the powder does not get spilled.

Depending on on the expected time between aid stations and the food I can have there, I might prefer two handhelds (plus a few gels and/or powder packs in my pockets) over a backpack to save weight. However, in high mountains, you usually also need rain gear, gloves, a hat, a light, and maybe a light jacket for layering. These items can be very l ightweight and small, if you want to afford that. And yes, we schlepp that stuff around with us if necessary (depending on weather, distance or time, and terrain).

I do best with 250-350 calories per hour (including drinks) in a 100-miler, and less for shorter distances. This is a lot considering I'm a 100-lb lightweight, so your estimate of 200 per hour seems good for a start. You can fine-tune that on your training runs, best on similar terrain as the race.

One last piece of advice that I learned the hard way at MMT100: don't rely on aid stations for gluten free food options and gel. Aid stations are good for fruit and "rocket fuel" (Gatorade, Coke...), but not for calories. BYO, or ask the RD what will be offered at all aid stations as generic options (sometimes most foods are the choices of the aid station captains, not the RD).

Run for fun.