Ultra Runners

Desert Solstice 24 hour (Read 383 times)

WG says she ran 128+, fail... I am confused.

She posted a goal of 131. I cannot wrap my brain around thinking of 128+ as a fail, though. Holy crap.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Kalsarikännit

So, you know what is a not pleasant thought? Running a 50k then thinking, "Well, 100 miles to go". I'm glad this is behind me. On to 2013. I have 0 miles/35 beers scheduled for the next week.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Purdey

Self anointed title

So, you know what is a not pleasant thought? Running a 50k then thinking, "Well, 100 miles to go". I'm glad this is behind me. On to 2013. I have 0 miles/35 beers scheduled for the next week.

128 is still an awesome performance - but I know it's not what you wanted.

Kalsarikännit

128 is still an awesome performance - but I know it's not what you wanted.

131 would have got me on the National Team. I could have been bumped in one of the many New Year's races. The big race is in May in the Netherlands. That would have meant no GUCR. My inability to run three more miles means that Purdey and Hoppity are stuck with me in the end of May.

Purdey

Self anointed title

. My inability to run three more miles means that Purdey and Hoppity are stuck with me in the end of May.

Yay! (and boo)

Uh oh... now what?

131 would have got me on the National Team. I could have been bumped in one of the many New Year's races. The big race is in May in the Netherlands. That would have meant no GUCR. My inability to run three more miles means that Purdey and Hoppity are stuck with me in the end of May.

So, if you had ran in lane four instead of hugging the rail, you would have made the distance with the same number of laps?

Lemme see here, lane four is 31.7833 feet longer than lane one, three miles divided by 31.7833 feet is 498.37 laps (24 furlongs), so even if you ran on the inside of land four you would have had a little over 73 yards to spare.

I realize you did not achieve what you set out to do, but it was still a good effort.  Congratulations on that part.

rgot

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

So, if you had ran in lane four instead of hugging the rail, you would have made the distance with the same number of laps?

Lemme see here, lane four is 31.7833 feet longer than lane one, three miles divided by 31.7833 feet is 498.37 laps (24 furlongs), so even if you ran on the inside of land four you would have had a little over 73 yards to spare.

I realize you did not achieve what you set out to do, but it was still a good effort.  Congratulations on that part.

rgot

???

steph  

Uh oh... now what?

???

Sorry, it was a joke from a 12-hour track run.  My wife and a friend were running side by side and someone did some make-believe calculations to figure out how much farther Kathy ran than John did by not being on the inside of the lane.  I apologize, humor that must be explained is not humor and I hope it wasn't insulting or demeaning in any way.

Kalsarikännit

(24 furlongs)

rgot

Did you just call me a horse? Big grin Poor Jon Olsen probably did a little extra going around us, and when Ian Sharman was absolutely flying he had to go around everyone. He was great though. Very nice and funny. Plus he ran like a really runner (no ultrashuffle). I'm sad he dropped.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Sorry, it was a joke from a 12-hour track run.  My wife and a friend were running side by side and someone did some make-believe calculations to figure out how much farther Kathy ran than John did by not being on the inside of the lane.  I apologize, humor that must be explained is not humor and I hope it wasn't insulting or demeaning in any way.

Ah, I see.  

steph  

Kalsarikännit

I got it, John. Before Cornbelt 24 I asked a group here a question about the distance using lane 2. They told me to be sure of the distance I should probably calibrate the lanes with a tape measure. Big grin

+1.  It is a top-10 mark nationally.  Top 4 if you only consider track events, which are harder.  Good effort indeed.

Kalsarikännit

consider track events, which are harder.

Shhhh...don't tell anyone, but I think they are easier.

bhearn

Then why are all the track records shorter distances than the road records?

Uh oh... now what?

Then why are all the track records shorter distances than the road records?

24-hour, 48-hour, 72-hour, older 6-day events on tracks... I probably don't understand your use of "shorter".