Ultra Runners

Hardrock 100 (Read 417 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

Hey gang. I just got back from pacing/crewing for a friend of mine at Hardrock. What a trip! Some really cool people in some really beautiful but hostile country. It was particularly cool to compare notes with this year's winner, Kyle Skaggs. Kyle is 23, which makes him a baby in ultra running circles. He absolutely shattered the course record in 23 hours, 23 minutes and 30 seconds, making him the races only person to ever finish before the second sunrise! Lots of drama and great stories back in the pack... like 4 finishers in the final 5 minutes of the 48 hour cutoff! One of those was 72 year old John Dewalt... a 12-time finisher! Anyway... I'll try and write something up with pictures later and get it posted here. Lynn B MTA: here's a picture looking back down the climb up Handies, a 14,023 ft mountain in the San Juan range. You can see the trail switchbacking up out of the American Basin (lots of snowfields) and a mountain lake that was spectacular! You can also see little dots that are other competitors in the race! Enjoy!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Holy cow!! What an absolutely gorgeous photograph!! . . . not to mention the course record! Shocked

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Wow... I was on Handies at what looks like a very similar time. Who was your runner? I was pacing Terry Gebhardt from Ouray to Sherman. He wound up finishing in 43:24 or so. What a great race!! - Chris

You'll ruin your knees!

Wow, Chris! We must have crossed paths! My runner was Joe P #156 and he finished just behind your runner. His splits were strong between Maggie and the finish, so maybe you guys were ahead and we didn't play leapfrog any, hard to tell. I paced from Grouse to Cunningham and we left Grouse at 6:20 am and reached Cunningham at about 9:40 pm. Man, that descent down into Cunningham off Green Mountain was a trip in the dark. Joe still had legs and being a strong downhiller, we ran all the way down it! I had an absolute blast! Lynn MTA: after looking at the results page, I realize that Terry was pretty much ahead of Joe for the entire last part of the race, sometimes as much as an hour and a half.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Kyle is unreal. He ran a local 10k here in Durango a couple of months ago. Blew away the usual top 5 runners in the area by more than 2 minutes and didn't even look like he was trying, just flows like a gazelle or something. It will be interesting to see what he does as he gets older.

Into the wild

Surprised Wow... look at that picture. It's..it's....massive........ Clowning around Thanks old man Wink

Shut up and run

Surprised Wow... look at that picture. It's..it's....massive........ Clowning around
                Yeah, and there are 11 other climbs just like that one! Hardrock is insane! Lynn... this is about the same time of day, just a few thousand feet lower. Handies in the background: I'm totally hooked on this race. Some day. - Chris

Wasatch Speedgoat

Wow... I was on Handies at what looks like a very similar time. Who was your runner? I was pacing Terry Gebhardt from Ouray to Sherman. He wound up finishing in 43:24 or so. What a great race!! - Chris
                  Wow! I ran 43:25! We were all really close! Shocked Anyway, what a trip....I haven't been here for awhile and seeing Lynn in Silverton reminded me to log in and check things out. Here is my report with a link to pictures http://ultrastevep.blogspot.com/ Steve

Life is short, play hard!

You'll ruin your knees!

Hello Steve! Long time not seeing you in virtual land...not so long IRL. It was great to meet you and Deb. Congrats on your finish! I got to cover almost half of the course between pacing and pre-race activities and cannot wait to see the rest! I'll take a look at your pics... I have a great one of you at the finish...I'll be glad to email if if you want...email me at lynn dot ballard @ pepsico cot com. Lynn B

Wow, that's amazing! What's more amazing is that you were sandwiched right between 3 good friends of mine: Terry Gebhardt - 43:22 Steve Pero - 43:25 Steve McClung - 43:31 Carol Gerber - 43:41 I was the Chapman A/S captain... you looked good when you came in there! This is me(L) and Terry(R) on Handies, maybe you ran into us on the course: I can't wait to do that race... it's just so amazing... the scenery, the people... all of it. - Chris
                        PS: One of our volunteers is a semi-professional photographer and was taking photos of all the runners at Chapman. Once she gets them all processed and ID'd we'll send them out to you guys (for free).... - Chris
                          Steve - Absolutely loved your report (not to mention the pics). Thanks for sharing!

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Fabulous pictures and congratulations Steve on your finish! Nice report! I think I met you actually a couple years ago at a party in Richmond, VT. Are you friends with Chris & Jessica? Kelly
                            If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                            Carl A

Congrats, Lynn, Chris, and Steve, on the successful pacing and racing. Now I have another event to work toward getting to!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Wasatch Speedgoat

Fabulous pictures and congratulations Steve on your finish! Nice report! I think I met you actually a couple years ago at a party in Richmond, VT. Are you friends with Chris & Jessica? Kelly
                                Hi Kelly.... No, I don't think I was ever at a party in Richmond, Vt and I don't think I know Chris and Jessica.....but I'm sure someday we'll get to meet at some race local (at least until I move back out West in a year ) Wink

Life is short, play hard!