Ultra Runners

Ultras in the UK (Read 345 times)

Knowing a lot of the membership in this forum are mainly in the USA and Canada I just thought I would share my plans for the coming months so you can get an idea of some of the low key events I plan to do here in England. I am working myself up to my longest ultra in September 2009 (more later) and will be moving up through some distances as the months pass and as my training programme increases in mileage. Due to the shrinking Pound I have to pick and choose my races carefully to ensure I get value for money. I am therefore going to rely on a group called the Long Distance Walkers Association (LDWA) who are a group of walkers around the UK that organise long distance challenges mainly for walkers but recently have accepted runners along. These are great value ranging from £2 - £5 and for that you get maps, fully manned CPs with hot drinks and at the end sometimes a hot meal comprising egg, beans and chips (fries). I will be running the 30 mile option in LDWA events. So here we have my list 22nd March - Sevenoaks Circuit - 30 mile trail run (LDWA) 11th April - Compton Challenge - 40 mile trail run 20th June - The Picnic Marathon - 26.2 mile fell marathon (6000 feet rise) September - London to Brighton - 56 mile trail run There will be a few more "fillers" in between times, especially LDWA events, to keep the motivation up but I thought I would share and to think I have training plans for each one that cover 7 monthsShocked What is being planned in your neck of the woods?

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

Purdey

Self anointed title

Also in UK....: 04 April - 12hr track race (bit of a tester for my goal race in Oct) - goal 70 miles Aug - Ridgeway Challenge (UK Ultra Trail Running Champs) - 85 miles Oct - Sri Chinmoy 24hr race (goal was 100miles, now it is 120 miles) In between I'll be racing anything from 5km (next week) to marathon (off road). Jerry - have you thought about the Ridgeway? Longer term plans now include Western States.... a race I have to do before I die. (Not that I'm planning to die any time soon) and potentially Badwater.

Also in UK....: Jerry - have you thought about the Ridgeway?
        I have seen it and it maybe a step too far this year what with London to Brighton which is a big commitment in itself, however I am interested in the Breacon Beacon Challenge possibly in December 2010. I have a feeling that 2010 will be the tear of the long ultras, but I am not getting any youngerSad

Jerry

Oh Mighty Wing

what is a fell marathon? and nice plans gentlemen! Smile
            what is a fell marathon? and nice plans gentlemen! Smile
            A frigging big hillBig grin Definition of a Fell

Jerry

Oh Mighty Wing

A frigging big hillBig grin Definition of a Fell
              oooooohhhhh thanks!!!! Big grin
                Just to give you an idea of a dream of mine.... The Beacons Ultra It looks sssooooo beautiful and just look at the drop Shocked

Jerry

Oh Mighty Wing

that looks AWESOME!!!!! I'm excited about my April 11th 26.2 here is a blurb "You'll follow the legendary Dipsea trail to Steep Ravine, where you'll climb a wooden ladder, march up natural rock and wooden staircases and scramble under tree trunks." All this nature stuff gets me excited!!! Big grin

You'll ruin your knees!

I am currently reading "Feet in the Clouds" - Askwith, an history of fell running. It's a good read, and it's got me romanticizing about running fell races... particularly the Bob Graham Round

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Wow, the Bob Graham Round....now that is a massive undertaking. I am slightly perturbed you brought this subject up as I was out running tonight and thinking about how much effort Richard Askwith was putting into his training. The reasons why I was thinking of him was: 1) I have knee injury at the moment 2) I went to the gym last night and cycled 33 km 3) I am thinking of doing 2 sessions on certain days (run to work/ cycle at the gym) Alll these things Richard Askwith did and I am hope I don't get quite as obsessed as he.Big grin

Jerry

22/3/09 Ultra complete.....billed as 30 miles but in fact various garmins argued between 31.5 and 33 miles Race report done: Sevenoaks Circuit Race Report

Jerry

Sounds like a great race Jerry. I would have thought that you wouldn't have good weather this time of year. The aid stations sound great, but I don't know about sausage rolls and squash during an ultra. Had to think for a minute about fasl. Hope you had a great time. Jim
                            Thanks Jim I know in my heart that eating the sausage roll was probably a bit of a mistake as that type of food was more for the walkers doing the route but I was starving hungry......well the rest is history. This was put aside as a training run as we prepare for a 40 miler on 11th April and my nutrtion will be dealt with in a completely different way and will have a drop bag at the 20 mile stage that will have "proper" runners foods to pick up although hot cross buns (fruit bread) will definitely be in the list as it is loaded with carbs. I am laughing to myself as a number of people have commented on the sausage roll but this race was about enjoying the day as well and not to be too focussed on time Cool

Jerry