Ultra Runners

Tell me it ain't so. (Read 31 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

First the Anchor Down 24-hour Ultra in RI had a storm delay, so they added an hour and a half to the 24 hour race making it really a 25.5 hour race, then yesterday a big 6 day race in France did the same thing, stopping the clock, then adding 2.5 hours on to the race time. This would presumably negate any records set at these races, but it seems just plain wrong, like shortening a 100 mile race to 90 miles but crediting everyone with a 100 mile finish. Am I wrong to feel so annoyed?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

drock69

Didn't they do something similar at HURT 100? When that false nuclear attack warning went out. I know someone that finished because of the extra time. Definitely not in contention for records, although if the weather was that bad, probably not records being broken anyways

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I don't have enough experience to really weigh in, but in my first 24-Hour race the weather was horrific (torrential downpour and cold), which led to one of the most memorable races.  I can still hear the "patter, patter, patter" of the occasional relay racers passing my tent as I shiver trying to get warm.  I wouldn't have wanted the RD to stop it.

drock - Great job on the 50/50.  I will get to your RR soon!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Didn't they do something similar at HURT 100? When that false nuclear attack warning went out. I know someone that finished because of the extra time. Definitely not in contention for records, although if the weather was that bad, probably not records being broken anyways

Extending the cutoff time for race interruptions seems a different category to me. HURT didn't change the race distance. When Chicago cancelled the marathon mid-race, they gave runners the finishing bling, but they weren't credited with a marathon finish. Note that Boston does not adjust finish times in qualifying races when runners have been delayed by freight trains blocking the course.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.