Ultra Runners

Unbreakable (Read 726 times)

Just watched "Unbreakable," JB Benna's documentary re the 2010 WS race.  Excellent!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kalsarikännit

AJW stirred up some strong feelings in his comments.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Ostrich runner

Maybe we'll get to witness a really slow, tactical, and long fight.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Whoo-chee!   . . . . . . . . .  I just really liked the movie and am watching for a second time already.  I think JB and his peeps did an excellent job showing what a lot of us wished we'd been able to witness ourselves.  We saw the front runners at the start and when they went through Robinson Flat.  After that, we had to be satisfied with word of mouth and Internet updates from my friend's house sitter.  For me, it was very moving to be able to watch what we'd only heard about, and get commentary from the guys as to how the race unfolded for them, their emotions, etc.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I think his comments are bullshit.

• Black Canyon 100k
            • RRR
            • Zane Grey 100k
            • High Lonesome 100
            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
            • The Bear 100
            • Javelina Jundred (?)

Kalsarikännit

I liked the discussion.  I don't think he should have said something about Roes publicly, but I think it was important to point out that the leaders better watch themselves in this day of filming and webcams.

This is always been the one thing that really, REALLY irritates me in ultrarunning.  The level of "support" that runners get in the long races makes it impossible to just go out run and race and be competitive.  Plus the inability of newer runners to be self-reliant makes me believe that they aren't ready for longer distances.  If you need someone to open gu's for you in the middle of the night, or two car crewing systems, are you coming in truly prepared for the challenges of a 100 miler?

Ozark 100 really upset me.  A great deal of the course, especially in the second half, involved running through an oak forest with perfectly spaced trees and a trail covered in leaves.  It required a great deal of route finding.  I had to turn back and find the trail again several times.  The rules clearly stated that pacers must be behind the runners.  This didn't stop runners from having their pacers in front doing all of their route finding for them.  Cheating, pure and simple.

I like what Massanutten did.  They have a division for solo, unsupported runners.  I wish every 100 had this.

I may have had this rant before, and you can probably expect another one in six months, but it is something that leads to my dislike of 100 milers.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I think part of the issue is that there is not standard.  Each race sets their own rules for what a pacer can do.  Hell, in Pb, they allow muling.

This happens in the RRR runs, too.  The "fastest known time" that was achieved by Mackey was, I believe, supported with crew along the way.  I guarantee the original FKT set a few decades ago involved a canteen and no support.

I still believe that intent is important.  Big difference to me.

WG - when are you racing again?

• Black Canyon 100k
                • RRR
                • Zane Grey 100k
                • High Lonesome 100
                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                • The Bear 100
                • Javelina Jundred (?)

Kalsarikännit

I like that on the AT there are two FKT's that are recognized.  Supported and unsupported.  On something like the AT it would make an enormous difference.  The supported people sleep in RV's and campers at road crossings, the unsupported have to carry everything and go into town for resupply.  That makes a huge difference.  I assume all of the FKT's have supported and unsupported times, we may not hear about all of them, though.

I would like to do the Badwater solo crossing one of these days.  I will not be going unsupported though!  Shocked

I have a tentative come back race on April 1 at the Fools 50k in Ohio.  This week I ran for the first time in three months.  It was two miles and I was sore.  Oy.  It is gonna be a long road back.  I plan on doing Hawthorn again this year.  It would be nice to see a bunch of RA'ers there again this year.  

Watched it last night... was a really good movie!  I wish they would have been able to cover more of the people up there... ie, Nick Clark, etc....but understand they probably didn't have the resources/cameras/etc.

Kalsarikännit

I ordered it yesterday.  It will be  nice to watch while on the treadmill.

Yesterday I watched Running on the Sun while running.  I only bring that up for one reason...

"I WANT SOME SOUP!"

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Running the Sahara is a good one for the TM - it is on Netflix now.

• Black Canyon 100k
                        • RRR
                        • Zane Grey 100k
                        • High Lonesome 100
                        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                        • The Bear 100
                        • Javelina Jundred (?)

Yesterday I watched Running on the Sun while running.  I only bring that up for one reason...

"I WANT SOME SOUP!"

This movie was awesome.

I borrowed it from a friend and watched it a couple of times with family.

We all laughed at Nick P's crew.

My wife then reminded me that any crew I would be able to put together would treat me in the same manner.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Kalsarikännit

This movie was awesome.

I borrowed it from a friend and watched it a couple of times with family.

We all laughed at Nick P's crew.

My wife then reminded me that any crew I would be able to put together would treat me in the same manner.

His crew was great.  They took everything in stride.  He seemed like a pretty likable guy, he was just having one of those moments.  We've all been there.  If he had been a jerk from the start it wouldn't have been funny.  Sometimes you just need soup.

I die laughing every time I see that scene.  

xor

>> If he had been a jerk from the start it wouldn't have been funny.

Ain't that the truth.  I've encountered That Guy and That Gal a few times.  Sigh.

(and I leave every race thinking "jeez, I hope I wasn't That Guy")

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I have a tentative come back race on April 1 at the Fools 50k in Ohio.  This week I ran for the first time in three months.  It was two miles and I was sore.  Oy.  It is gonna be a long road back.  I plan on doing Hawthorn again this year.  It would be nice to see a bunch of RA'ers there again this year.  

Do you think the little motel would mind if we had a bonfire? And beer? :-)

Liz

pace sera, sera