Ultra Runners

Ice Age 50M (Read 1630 times)

DoppleBock

I am tempting you but reallythat is because of you ... I am temping me to be stupid

I actually was going to do 16 tower hill repeats tonight (Actually only 1/2 mile of 1.6 mile loop is uphill and 1/4 mile down or vice versa) - I cut off at 10 because I guess I am in taper.

If this was a goal race I would only be running 80-90 this week.

I know you are trying to tempt me into doing more running than my body will accept, based on my training this year.  I'm really geeked about this thing but I won't fall for your infantile efforts to entice me back out to the trail until I've consolidated my training ie. done my taper.  Nice try.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

it was actually 2008 when I ran Ice Age and there were 199 finishers, but it was not a montrail cup race

After Nordic loop (9 miles) I was in @ 35th-40th place = 80 minutes 

At 1st turnaround I was in 22-24th place

By the 2nd turn around I was in 4th place (mile 40)

I finished in 2nd place

Its hard to get to anal about pace as the Nordic loop is the easiest part of the course, so @ 9:00 pace is pretty slow.  I finished in 7:36 or 9:08 pace.  I pretty much cruised at a comfortable conversational pace the 1st 40 miles and put the hammer down the last 10 miles.

I would have to guess that there are 15-20 extra faster runners in this years race.  About 10 of those faster runners will not crash and burn. 

2010 7:36 would = 15th place and 8:00 would have gotten you 20th place - Basically I do not view it as any different than a marathon Very few run even or possitive splits

If I had a rough idea of what percentage of crash and burn early runners there were it might influence how fast I went out, i.e. if there are only 20 runners going at a 9 minute or less pace an 90% will maintain it, I would have no problem just trying to stick with that the whole time (assuming some extra time for walking hills and aid stations).  OTOH if 40 runners will go out at 9:00 pace and 40% will slow down after 15 miles, then I would probably gamble on going out closer to an 8:30.

jjameson

I did the nordic loop of the 2009 race but had to pull out later in the race due to a calf injury.  I ran the nordic loop at about 8:35 min/mile without any problem.  No doubt too fast for me.  I'm going for about 9 minute miles for the nordic loop.  That will seem ridiculously easy.  I'm sure I will "crash and burn" later.  There is something really attractive about DB's starting slow and basically maintaining his pace and passing all sorts of people later in the race.  I'd like to run 9-9:30 miles the whole race but suspect the last 20 miles will be 10 minute miles or slower.

Okay, check in time.  Finished off last week with 60 miles instead of 70.  Good news is the legs feel fresh.  The last two days not even a peep from the injury.  Did a modified tempo run today, 2x2 @ tempo pace with 1 mile warmup, and 1 mile easy in between.

I fly out to NY tomorrow.  Going to try to take it easy on running, but this is my first chance to run through central park.   Also gotta get some sleep so things can heal up for good.

jjameson

Had a good, easy weekend:  14 on hilly trails, then easy 6 with my daughter.  Finished with 50 miles last week which is more than I wanted.  Probably will take it easy this week with a 5-6 miles tues/wed.  I've been giving myself a talking to regarding the race:

Things I can't control:  Weather (long range forecast is cloudy with start at 50 degrees warming to 62 for a high -- not bad)

Things I can control:  Pacing (need to stay really patient), nutrition, hydration

Staying in a hotel in Waukesha with Matt, who is also doing the race.

DoppleBock

Ice Age anti - tweak

I have not looked to see if I can find drop bags

I have no idea what I am wearing

I just figured out (Monday) I am out of my favorite gels flavor and ordered some more

I have not printed off directions

But I have gotten my go faster hair cut (3 on sides, 4 on top)

What I want to make sure if that I get to spend some time with RA'ers at Ice Age, so please do not ditch me

Flatfooter

Corland

WG

jjameson

Either you RA'ers step up or I will have to change my race goals to not include beer consumption.

Kalsarikännit

I have not looked to see if I can find drop bags

I have no idea what I am wearing

I am out of my favorite gels

I have not printed off directions

Either you RA'ers step up or I will have to change my race goals to not include beer consumption.

Yeah.  Me, too.

I am just trying to survive this.  I'm pretty sure that I can't even run a marathon right now.  Should be interesting.

I'm there for the beer.  I have a sleeping bag and air mattress for that night in case we have too much fun.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Purdey

Self anointed title

I'm there for the beer.  I have a sleeping bag and air mattress for that night in case we have too much fun.

Wish I was there.

jjameson

Don't worry DB, I'll drink plenty of beer.  Unfortunately, I weigh 50# less than you, so there is no way I'll be able to keep up drinking-wise (or trail-wise for that matter).   On the other hand, as a daily drinker, my tolerance is respectable.

NWS forecast has trended cooler -- good for me with no heat tolerance.

Been perseverating about shoes, clothing, nutrition, pacing, etc.  Don't really have a good handle on what my pace should be.

DoppleBock

I will have a mattress in the back of the truck also - Sound like drunks we do 

Yeah.  Me, too.

I am just trying to survive this.  I'm pretty sure that I can't even run a marathon right now.  Should be interesting.

DoppleBock

I have not been drinking much lately - in fact IA will be 1st beer in 2 weeks. 

Don't worry DB, I'll drink plenty of beer.  Unfortunately, I weigh 50# less than you, so there is no way I'll be able to keep up drinking-wise (or trail-wise for that matter).   On the other hand, as a daily drinker, my tolerance is respectable.

NWS forecast has trended cooler -- good for me with no heat tolerance.

Been perseverating about shoes, clothing, nutrition, pacing, etc.  Don't really have a good handle on what my pace should be.

I will be drinking beer after the race. Maybe during if my injury flares up early on. Question is, who will run from the finish line back to me to fill my camelbak? I wonder how much rain they got on the trail today and how bad it is? I heard we got a lot of flooding in northern illinois.

Kalsarikännit

I think the trails drained pretty quickly at Kettle, considering that they got six hours of ungodly/ark-building rain.

I'm more worried about how to keep those lazy, no-good, 50k'ers from drinking all the good beer that IA50 supplies after the race.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

corland

I'm kind of along for the ride on this whole adventure.  The old codgers that I'm riding out with reserved a room in Delavan, about 15 miles south of La Grange.  I suspect that they won't finish the race until 5:30-6pm and then there will be some clean up and eating.  But when they leave 7-8pm, that will be my curfew. 

You can bet that I'll be doing my best to get my share of any free beer between 4-7pm though. 

DoppleBock

I usually do not take splits in a race like this, But since it will be fun beer drinking fodder, I propose we do:

Start

Split # 1 Confusion corner the 1st time

Split # 2 at the 1st turnaround @ Rice Lake

Split # 3 at confusion corner

Split # 4 at turnaround @ Emma Carlin

Split # 5 at confusion corner

Finish

Thoughts?