Ultra Runners

Ice Age 50M (Read 1630 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I have a really hard time telling the difference between being smart and being a wimp. I knew by mile 4 that I was making my tendonitis worse, but I thought I would get in the next long loop, so at least I would have a long run. At the end of the first short loop I called it quits. Live to fight another day is probably smart, but I feel like a sissy. Plus I had to drop at the start/finish, so all the people there are giving me pathetic, sad faces. Second ultra DNF in the books.

Are you still running Hawthorne? Planning to pay up this week. Will be my first timed race.

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)
    DoppleBock

You are not a wimp

You need to get healed up, it has been way too long 

I have a really hard time telling the difference between being smart and being a wimp. I knew by mile 4 that I was making my tendonitis worse, but I thought I would get in the next long loop, so at least I would have a long run. At the end of the first short loop I called it quits. Live to fight another day is probably smart, but I feel like a sissy. Plus I had to drop at the start/finish, so all the people there are giving me pathetic, sad faces. Second ultra DNF in the books.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

corland

More pics here:

http://www.runrace.net/group.php?id=48b74f5&tab=a4&evt=82

seems like there was a swampy pic of 4 on a cell phone somewhere...

The King of Beasts

You are not a wimp

You need to get healed up, it has been way too long 

winner winner chicken dinner.

also - there was some talk of where the A guys were this weekend. check out the list at the Salida Marathon. pretty stacked even if a few were just jogging.

http://www.salidarec.com/ccrc/run-through-time-photos/2011-Run-Through-Time-Race%20Results-Marathon.pdf

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

DoppleBock

I half ass figure out my splits and I think the info is in the ballpark - I think if I had added 4 minues to the 1st loop I could have subtracted 20-30 seconds per mile for the 9-40.  But that is not the real issue - The real issue is I am a fat ass - Weighing 195#  I think I could be close to 7 hours.

Below is a post from somewhere else

I usually pride myself on ideal pacing - But then again sometimes you think it was ideal and you might have left some on the trail.  This time I purposefully went out harder than I thought I should.  4-5 minutes faster on the 1st 9 miles to see what would happen.  Basically my legs felt crisp and burning by mile #12 and I went into active recovery mode and cruised until mile 40 - Then I felt pretty good and hammered home.

Mile 1-9 in @ 77 minutes = 8:33

Mile 40-50 @ 90 minutes = 9:00

by defaults that leaves -

Mile 9-40 @ 5 hours = 9:40 pace

DoppleBock

Next year maybe we can talk that A1 guy to run it? 

winner winner chicken dinner.

also - there was some talk of where the A guys were this weekend. check out the list at the Salida Marathon. pretty stacked even if a few were just jogging.

http://www.salidarec.com/ccrc/run-through-time-photos/2011-Run-Through-Time-Race%20Results-Marathon.pdf

The King of Beasts

Next year maybe we can talk that A1 guy to run it? 

you might be able to, but he would just be more middle-of-the-pack fodder.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

jjameson

Nice to meet some of you at the race.  DB showed us how to run an ultra.  Slower at the beginning means faster at the end.  My race was great until after confusion corner when my knee began hurting and I had to slow down.  I had to walk the last 5 miles of the race.  Very disappointed because I actually didn't feel that bad otherwise.  Definitely had a shot at my prediction of 8:19.  Think I could crack 8 with more trainning.  Probably will do it again next year.

Had an MRI this morning.  The results are inconclusive but it my joint surfaces look good without any significant cartilage tears.  Maybe an bone bruise or "early" stress fracture.  Probably won't be able to do Tahoe.

Nice job Joe, when I saw you around 33 or so, you were looking strong and like you were going to kill it.  You still took first in your AG, and finished with a pretty damn impressive time.  Good to hear you are not seriously injured, heal up so you can teach the next trail you run a lesson!!

Kalsarikännit

Probably won't be able to do Tahoe.

I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope you heal up and are able to race.  It is a beautiful area and I bet it would be a great experience.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Imminent Catastrophe

I was just up in that part of the world today and, what nice country. Gotta do IA now.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

DoppleBock

Just remember if you are looking to fly into an airport and wrangle a ride to and from Ice Age - Fly into Milwaukee.

or even better if you like lower key events

Try this

http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/home/Races/GlacialTrail50M50K.htm

I like the trail at Glacial more - Overall much more pretty - although I do not like the 1.5 miles through the hot, steamy, boring grassy area - The rest kicks ass!

Of course Glacial 50M is not all that close to Milwaukee

I was just up in that part of the world today and, what nice country. Gotta do IA now.

I would seriously consider Glacial 50 if it wasn't for me planning to race the Chicago Marathon two weeks before this and hopefully break my two year old PR.  Unfortunately, training for a pancake flat marathon and technical/hilly 50 don't have all that much in common. 

Hopefully next year as I really enjoy trails even if I'm slow at running them.  I still have to convince the DW to let me train for Ice Age next year.  I'm thinking maybe this will be my father's day present Big grin

Just remember if you are looking to fly into an airport and wrangle a ride to and from Ice Age - Fly into Milwaukee.

or even better if you like lower key events

Try this

http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/home/Races/GlacialTrail50M50K.htm

I like the trail at Glacial more - Overall much more pretty - although I do not like the 1.5 miles through the hot, steamy, boring grassy area - The rest kicks ass!

Of course Glacial 50M is not all that close to Milwaukee

DoppleBock

The 1st time I ran a 50 mile race or trail race was at Glacial and was 2 weeks after my PR marathon - I had never run trails before and had no hill training.  If you are healthy and pace correct you can do it.  But it was a quad buster.

Keep it in mind - If I did Glacial this year it would be at a much more comfortable pace than Ice Age.  I have a relay the next weekend that I need to be able to run fast at.  I opened my fat mouth and committed to 6:00 pace for the hilly relay. 

I would seriously consider Glacial 50 if it wasn't for me planning to race the Chicago Marathon two weeks before this and hopefully break my two year old PR.  Unfortunately, training for a pancake flat marathon and technical/hilly 50 don't have all that much in common. 

Hopefully next year as I really enjoy trails even if I'm slow at running them.  I still have to convince the DW to let me train for Ice Age next year.  I'm thinking maybe this will be my father's day present Big grin

Imminent Catastrophe

Dammit, are they EVER going to open registration for 2012?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016