Ultra Runners

Elliptical training for running ultras (Read 341 times)

Hello All,

I'm 4-weeks post-knee surgery and have a short-leash on running (~20-miles/wk) but have been given the go ahead to knock myself out on the elliptical.  I'm training for a 50-miler in May and 100-miler in June (both hilly).  Since I'm brand spanking new to elliptical training, any advice from anyone out there?

You'll ruin your knees!

I had knee surgery on Dec 14 and was cleared for elliptical by mid-Jan (whick I chose to subject myself to a bike Nazi versus elliptical because I believe nothing good comes from the elliptical), treadmill "jogging" the week after (which I did for one day for a 'confidence' run, then went outside to single track trails). 

I completed a trail marathon on Feb 20 and am building my way up to 50+ mile weeks later this month with a target of full-on training for a mountain hunnerd in July.  I guess I would suggest the bike over the elliptical, as I feel the bike is better (for me) prep for getting back to running. 

That said, listen to your doc...

Also, it's hard to really give you any feedback without seeing your log and withoug knowing more about your surgery.  My surgery was with a scope and focused on cleaning up old crud in my knee (my knee crud is older than you... found a license plate and some old Mt Dew cans in there) and they did a procedure to help my kneecap track better... whatever that means. If you had ligament work done, you may have a different outcome, but my running is going OK for now.

Good luck with it,

Lynn B

MTA: which races are you contemplating?

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Thanks for the response.  I had 6 cysts removed (marble to golfball sized) and a peroneal nerve decompression done.  They also "cleaned out" the knee while in there.  The good news is all the cartilage/meniscuses/etc looked great.   I'm typically a ~50mi/wk runner with lots of cross-training.  Before gearing up for races I'll push my mileage closer to ~80mi/wk.

The biking is good advice.  The snow/ice is finally melting, so should be good to go outside...I can't bring myself to bike at the gym.  

I'm planning on the Dances with Dirt in Gnawbone, IN then the Mohican 100 in Loudonville, OH.

You'll ruin your knees!

The biking is good advice.  The snow/ice is finally melting, so should be good to go outside...I can't bring myself to bike at the gym.  

...yep, I was the same way until I jumped in a spin class (...that's where the bike nazi came in)... I found it to be challenging and a great way to pump up my legs without undue pressure on my knee.  I could never get that out of the ellipitical (that's me).  Listen to your body, regardless.

Good luck,

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Look at the elliptical as a way to maintain your weight.  I blimped up by 20 lbs after ACL surgery and wish I would/could have done more on the elliptical while waiting for clearance to run.  I've never tried an elliptical tempo workout, e.g. 20 minutes easy, 40 minutes hard, 20 minutes easy, but that could be beneficial.  An elliptical machine is no substitute for the pounding from running, though.  The fact that you can run 20 MPW is good news, you shouldn't be set back much at all in your training.

Good question. I am in a similar boat, just started running a couple weeks ago after a tibial stress fracture. Mileage will be pretty low for a bit, but I have intend to run a 50 miler in June, a 50 miler in July, and a 100 miler in August. I'm still not confident that I will be at any of those starting lines, but I need something to shoot for. So far the leg seems great.

I have been supplementing with the elliptical and it's boring as hell. It seems like all it does is make my toes numb. Sounds like I should get on the bike.

~Sara
              It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan