Ultra Runners

What have you used for drop bags? (Read 35 times)

fimmx

Hi all, with my 50 mile finish on 12/31 last year, I'm slowly venturing into the world of ultra running - a world I've only admired from afar till now. I signed up for a 100k at Javelina this weekend and now I will be obsessing over this for the next ~10 months. Javelina is a looped course, and I will have access to 2 drop bags for each loop - one at the start, and one at roughly the halfway point of a 19.5 mile loop.

I think I'm pretty dialed in about what to include in the drop bags, I've already started a list and hope to not make any rookie mistakes. I'm curious about what to use as drop bags? I've seen references to ziplocks, duffles, shopping bags, clear plastic bins and more. I would love to here what has worked for you, or not, in your racing experience.

I don't expect to have a crew for this race.

GC100k

In my one ultra, I used one of those bigger shopping bags from a department or clothing store. I wrote my name and phone number on it with a sharpie. When I dropped it off at the check-in, the person said "hey, that's a good idea" like I'd done something intentional. I just looked in the closet and grabbed a bag that was big enough and pretty sturdy.

paul2432

I've used the large, clear plastic zip lock bags.  I insert a sheet of paper with my name and number written in large letters.  I don't drop that much stuff (maybe a few food items).  For a loop course I might use something more robust.

Some races have size restrictions on drop bags.  Whatever you use make sure your bag meets the races requirements.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Ziplock bags in whatever size is appropriate to hold the gear for that stop.

They're clear, so it's easy to find stuff.

They're more or less waterproof, so stuff stays dry. (I do double bag my clothing, just to be safe.)

As mentioned, ensure they meet the race's requirements for size, construction, marking, etc.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Having worked at many A/S with drop bags, here are some thoughts on what NOT to use: Tupperware or other plastic bins (break too easily, lids pop off), anything that can’t get wet (includes labeling, use waterproof labels/markers), and luggage (no duffle bags unless they’re small and within the limits provided by the race).  You want it easy to open and easy to see what’s in it without taking much time or thought. Picture the drop bag being manhandled (or womanhandled, as the case may be), thrown in the back of someone’s truck, and generally not treated with TLC.  Bring that bag. 

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

T Hound

Slower but happier

I like like oversized  ziploc bags so i can see inside easily.   I put things in the bag in smaller ziplocs and so on. One thing i like is witing on a 4x6 notecard w sharpie whats in the sub bag in large letters. Especially if you have clothes and or its at night.  U can find stuff quickly. Now I love a loop course. If the race allows (so far they all hav) it i just bring a cooler and a big plastic ziploc or bin to the start finish. No one has to take it anywhere so there is no worrying about that. So much easier.  BUt, I tend to bring too much then which can slow u down. Too many choices.  U also may ght put action cards or checklist cards reminding u what to do when, so u dont forget and dont have to think.  Cognition declines. Keep it simple. (I forgot to grab my headlamp once, never again).  Two drop bags 10 miles apart sounds perfect to me.  Javelina 100 looks like a fun race, i want to get there someday too.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

jenniferbrowns

Spam

Pain is my friend

I will jump on the large Zip lock train. I only put what I need. I take everything from my drop bag and take it with me. In my early days I would put way too much in my drop bag. I would only use a few things. Less is more. With a loop course you may want to put a few more things. Things to think about.

Where will I be when it gets dark? -Head lamp

Will it get cold and when? Weather? -extra close

Do I want to change my sock or shoes? I change my socks half way through the race and wash my feet.

Do I need to change my watch or phone? -battery charger

There is a ton of things you can bring for a what if! Many big races have extra of things like. salt pills, gels and other food.

Other things I keep in my crew kit:

Band aids

glide is a must have

tums

pain killers

Mt. Dew at least a 12 pack.

The list can go on. Keep it simple. You got this!!!!!!

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Has anyone ever used a drop bag for a looped course, or a race where you are in/out of the same location multiple times?

Do you think it would change anything about your race prep knowing you'd have access to the bag 4 or 5 times in a race? Headlamp pick up/drop off. Trekking pole pick up/drop off. Layers. Food. drink mix. Personal foods. Etc?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Has anyone ever used a drop bag for a looped course, or a race where you are in/out of the same location multiple times?

Do you think it would change anything about your race prep knowing you'd have access to the bag 4 or 5 times in a race? Headlamp pick up/drop off. Trekking pole pick up/drop off. Layers. Food. drink mix. Personal foods. Etc?

I wouldn't exactly call it a drop bag, but I always have a knapsack with clothes, shoes, drinks, and snacks to supplement whatever the aid station has for fixed time races running a short loop many times.  Most of the time I don't need it, but a few races it was essential when I didn't like the sports drink the aid station offered or the aid station food simply didn't appeal to me for part or the race.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

One of my hundreds had 10 mile loops and I left a fairly large bin at the S/F in a tent that some friends set up.

Pros: no stress about how to divvy up stuff among drop bags at different parts of the course.  I threw a lot more stuff in the bin since there were no size limits. I had a wide array of stuff (food, layers, shoes, socks, etc) under the “just in case I need it” theory. I did end up needing my warmest clothes since temps were unexpectedly cold, and it .would have tanked my race if I didn’t have it with me.

Cons: the more stuff you have access to, and the bigger the bag or bin, the more time you waste.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Running Problem

Problem Child

Would putting bacon (cooked or uncooked) in a ziplock bag be a good idea?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22