Ultra Runners

First 100 miler (Read 449 times)

Pam - you'll rock the house. Prior to my first marathon someone sent me a link to a message that someone had posted for someone else and it really pumped me up. My buddy knew knew I was worried and a little intimidated (I was worried that I had not trained hard enough), so I pass on the message:

-

"Do it! Throw yourself at it and smash it into oblivion. Do NOT think for one second that it's bigger than you, that it requires a level of badassery that you don't have. Shatter it... and trample the pieces!"

Best of luck - Trey

Thanks for sharing that Trey! I'm going to be thinking of this phrase all day today as well as throughout the weekend!

Thanks again

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

You'll ruin your knees!

Pam,

Make a list of the things that will cause you to DNF (you know, like broken bone poking out through the skin, zombie attack, etc.)... If necessary, write it all down and prepare to carry it with you during the race.  Once you get to a point (if it happens) where the negative stuff starts creeping in on you (not trained enough - LIE, legs hurt - HTFU, tummy upset - STFU/HTFU, there's no point in going on - LIE, I can't do it - LIE)... pull out that list and see if anything you are currently experiencing is on that list.  If it is on the list... stop, otherwise... carry on with "relentless forward motion". 

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Pam,

Make a list of the things that will cause you to DNF (you know, like broken bone poking out through the skin, zombie attack, etc.)... If necessary, write it all down and prepare to carry it with you during the race.  Once you get to a point (if it happens) where the negative stuff starts creeping in on you (not trained enough - LIE, legs hurt - HTFU, tummy upset - STFU/HTFU, there's no point in going on - LIE, I can't do it - LIE)... pull out that list and see if anything you are currently experiencing is on that list.  If it is on the list... stop, otherwise... carry on with "relentless forward motion". 

Lynn B

GOOD IDEA Lynn!!! Thanks and I will most definetely do that!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Carl A

Signing off from the web:

2 . . .

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

"Do it! Throw yourself at it and smash it into oblivion. Do NOT think for one second that it's bigger than you, that it requires a level of badassery that you don't have. Shatter it... and trample the pieces!"

LOVE this quote!!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

LOVE this quote!!

+1

I may write that on my arm before my next 100. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

She did it, some 27 hours.  First woman ever to finish that race!
                  She did it, some 27 hours.  First woman ever to finish that race!

Congratulations, Pam!!!!!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...---...

Well, I'd certainly say you shattered it and trampled the pieces.

Awesome Pam. Congrats, congrats, congrats! 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Carl A

Pam - your finish showed that even an insanely long run cannot trample the strong of spirit. In fact, it's just the opposite - you ruled out there.

Even beyond this - every runner who toed the line, as well as all of the volunteers and pacers who helped, showed how awe-inspiring a group effort can be. It was an honor to be there.

You'll ruin your knees!

Sweet!  Congrats Pam! 

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

WOW, I seemed to have missed the party..... well done Pam, my 100 miler will be in 2010, this has truelly spurred me on

Jerry
                          A runners blog-updated daily

Carl A

Pam - your finish showed that even an insanely long run cannot trample the strong of spirit. In fact, it's just the opposite - you ruled out there.

Even beyond this - every runner who toed the line, as well as all of the volunteers and pacers who helped, showed how awe-inspiring a group effort can be. It was an honor to be there.

Thanks Carl!

I think we all feel the same way! Us runners/ volunteers are AWESOME and together we make GREAT things happen!

Thanks again everyone!!

Thanks Carl for posting the link. I think I spent pretty all of my brain power writing that thing and there is soooooooooo much that I wanted to say but didn't/couldn't etc.  I wouldn't change my first 100 mile experience for anything!