Ultra Runners

Swollen hands (Read 203 times)

Some of you will be aware that I completed a 40 mile downland trail race yesterday, a big first for me at that distance but I just want to tell you a little thing that happened during the run to me. Luckily I was aware what was going on so it didn't worry me too much. At about 35 miles into the run I began to get a really weird feeling in my hands, a stiffness and the sensation like you get when you sit on them for too long. Looking at them I realised the were becoming slightly mottled and swollen Shocked This was a symtom of hyponatraemia or electrolyte imbalance, I drink nuun when on long runs so it was obvious that I was not taking in enough salts in the form of sodium. I therefore took more regular gulps of my nuun mix and at the next check point (thankfully about 2 miles away) I stocked up on some salted biscuits and took some supplied water and within about 20 minutes I was back to normal. Big lesson learnt, slight panic but confirmed that I had to carry on listening to my body.

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

You'll ruin your knees!

Thanks for sharing this, Jerry. This is something about which everyone dabbling in ultras should become familiar. I have found Karl King's website to be helpful, particularly on the table found HERE. Even if you like other products, there is some good "rule of thumb" info on the table. Good luck, Lynn

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Outstanding, thank you very much

Jerry
        A runners blog-updated daily

Yeah, Karl's table had been really helpful to me too... especially since different things can cause the swelling, etc. I had a friend taking in too much salt and that was causing her swelling. For me, it's not enough salt... I sweat like a pig and lose salt by the pound. Smile