Ultra Runners

Old Pueblo 50 - My first ultra (Read 415 times)

Hi Everyone, I started training for my first ultra. A couple of my running friends talked me into signing up for it though I admittedly have been wanting to break into the ultra world for a while now. There are going to be 3 of us gals and 1 guy doing all our long training runs together. I'm very excited! Big grin

Imminent Catastrophe

I've heard good things about OP, since I grew up in Tucson it intrigues me too. A friend tells me, lots of climbs/descents. I might even aim for that, depends on what happens in the next few weeks. I hope it doesn't fill up before then.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Hi Perfessor, You grew up in Tucson? Cool! Cool That's good that you have heard good things about this race! I'm fearful about climbs and descents though! There's no elevation chart so I have NO idea how hilly it will be. As for signing up for the race, it filled in about 3 hours once they opened up online registration! I couldn't believe it! I was glad that my friends and I all had access to the internet in time to get in. Since I've never done a 50 before, I have no idea how many people usually run them. I think this one is limited to 150 runners. I know they have a waiting list but I don't know how many people are on it.

Imminent Catastrophe

Hi Perfessor, You grew up in Tucson? Cool! Cool As for signing up for the race, it filled in about 3 hours once they opened up online registration! ...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Carl A

I'm hoping that the ultrarunning situation doesn't evolve into what's going on with triathlons, in which a major part of the competition is just getting an entry spot. If we can keep from limiting ourselves to a brand or series and can keep creating more races to accommodate the growing demand, we should be able to keep ultrarunning laid back, relatively inexpensive, and fun. And rroush, have a great time. It looks like the mileage you're running is preparing you well!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I thought it was weird that it filled up so fast. I'm new to the ultra world having never run one before so I don't know if it's because there aren't many other ultras around here or what the reason is. Carl, I saw on your profile that you're planning to run a 100 miler next year. Do you know which one you want to do yet?
              Carl A

Thanks for asking! I'm considering either the Burning River 100 in Ohio or the Delaware 100. If neither of these are working out, a couple friends have told me that they're interested in starting one here in northeast PA. Last summer we organized and ran a 68-miler on local rail trails, so maybe we could expand on that.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Wasatch Speedgoat

My wife and I have been involved in Ultrarunning for almost 20 years now and the change I have seen is that many more are getting interested in the sport, thus the quick filling up of the fields. A lot of that has to do with the fact that you just cannot have thousands of runners on a trail at the same time. If Hardrock could allow more, there would not have to be a lottery because it is a difficult run and you need to qualify for it by running another difficult 100. Still we get double the entrants for the allowed field. One thing that Deb and I do is frequent the VHTRC runs and races. Even though we live in NH, we are members of the VHTRC (Virginia Happy Trails Running Club- http://www.vhtrc.org/ ). Check out the website for many fun filled weekends of running. For instance at the turn of the year on Dec 31st we will drive down and run the Boyer's 40 mile trail run. It's run on the trails of the Massanutten and Old Dominion 100's, is a fun run...no entry, no fee, etc. MLK weekend they do a triple play, 3 days of training in the mountains with a fun group of runners. So to get involved in ultrarunning you don't always have ot pay an entry fee, hope to get in because 1000 runners are trying for 100 spots. There are many of these fat ass style of fun runs out there. In New Mexico we had the MTNRNR series, which usually was a weekly or every other week 50K trail run somewhere in the mountains of northern NM or Southern CO. I can send someone that schedule if they are interested as the organizer likes to keep these runs under the radar. Good luck with all of your planned runs and hope to meet you at one somewhere! Steve

Life is short, play hard!