Ultra Runners

RW article on long training runs (Read 82 times)

DoppleBock

How will you measure success?

In the 1st 24 hour I did well at, I had to let 80% of the field pull away from me on the 1st lap ... You have to check your ego at the door.  I was talking to a woman and finally about 5 minutes into the race, I told her it was way too fast for me I would have to let her go.  I ended up 1st with 147 miles and she was second with 121.

My 2nd 24 I did well at I also was able to check my ego.  I was in the botton 1/2 of the field (Men and Woman) through 12 hours.  I ended up 12th out of > 200 athletes with 154 miles

The other 6 times I have run a 24 hour race - I have paced poorly, unable to keep my effort level low enough.  Sometimes it has been from stupid ego, other times because I had to push to the edge to try and reach a goal.  But every time it resulted in failure and many less miles than I could have run if I had paced slower.

I figure if I can run a 2:45 marathon (6:18 pace) the right pace to start a 24 hour race is 8:45-9:00 minute miles.

Retired 1/1/13 ...  12/1/16 return to Gallowalking ... Running is beautiful and forgiving, it will always take you back with no questions asked.

100K or Bust

How will you measure success?

At this point I'd consider it a success if I'm still moving forward at the end of 12 hours and have covered at least 50K. 50 miles would be nice but I want to have fun, not half kill myself.

2017 Goals: for races not to be exercises in futility