Ultra Runners

Diez Vista 100k - Dnf at 82km (Read 21 times)

drock69

Well this one didn’t go exactly as planned, but what race ever does.

Training

Followed the 50 mile/100k plan from Chrissy Moehl’s book for the last 8 weeks, before that I was doing shorter trail races up to marathon distance, averaging around 70km/wk for the 3 months before the race. Did a 50k on New Year’s Day, Dirty Duo 50k and Run Ridge Run 25k as training races, as well as a HM that didn’t go so well. Did a training run on the course with the Buntzen Burners, a few weeks before, and a night run on the Diez Vistas Trail with Club Fatass. Had some knee problems 2 week preceding the race, so did mostly biking during taper, and only one short run the last week. Mostly stuck to the plan the last 8 weeks otherwise, including tempo runs and hill repeats, that I’d been neglecting a bit the last year.

Pre Race

I got off work early on Friday, so I could pick up my race packet, took the train out there which was probably almost the same as driving, and I could relax and read. Weather was wet, but I’d been following the forecast, and knew that it was supposed to improve for Saturday. Didn’t spend much time at pick-up, wanted to get home quickly. Ordered pizza for dinner, and pretty much went to bed. Fell asleep quickly, then woke up after 30 minutes, and was up for a couple hours. I got maybe 4 or 5 hours sleep, alarm went off at 2am. I had everything organized, got dressed and did the final prep on all my gear. Had some overnight oatmeal that I had in the fridge (oats, strawberries, hemp hearts, chia seeds and maple syrup), which was a large serving. Made a coffee to have while driving to the start. Left around 2:40. Not much traffic, was looking out for drunks still driving home. Got to White Pine Beach around 3:20. I already had my race package, so just sat in the car for a few minutes, watching people mill about with their headlamps on. Made my way to the start, right down by Sasamat lake on the beach. Just in time for the pre-race briefing, the usual about flagging and signage. Saw a couple people I knew at the start that I did the night run with, so talked with them a bit

Clothing

I wore a merino wool half zip, with a light short sleeve underneath (seems better for chaffing), tights, and wool socks. Last year’s race was cold and wet, so I was probably a bit overdressed, the merino wool seems not bad when it warmed up, so never felt really hot. Started with a shell and light gloves as well.

Start to AS#1(km 0-15.5)

The race started at 4am on the button. Started pretty close to the back, I wanted to run a decent relaxed pace, as least for the first 15k. Course starts on the beach, and does a lap of the lake. I followed a couple people I knew, and it was pretty easy on mostly flat trails, with a couple sets of stairs. You pass by the start after a couple easy kms, then head up a steep hill. Passed a few people here, but was running and walking at fairly easy pace. I had a 300 lumen headlamp and 300 lumen flashlight, kept the headlamp on medium, seemed like the perfect combo. The climb was about a km, then a downhill. It’s kind of rocky, and like a creek in a lot of places, no way to avoid wet feet here, and you’re only 5km into the race. I was a little slow on this in the dark, I didn’t want to roll an ankle on all the loose rocks, or blow my quads early on. After the hill we ran on the road for a few kms, down to the beach at Belcarra on Indian Arm, so down to sea level. A few hills here, so run/walk parts of it. Caught up to some people on the hills, then had them pass me again. Talked to a couple Albertans, one guy was kind of chatty. Some out and back here, so I could see how fast the leaders were taking off. The route back was on some easy trails, and road, nothing really technical yet though. By 17km we were back at AS#1, right by the start/finish. Topped up my bottles with water here, I don’t think I’d even drank a full bottle. I think I had 2 gels up to this point.

AS#2 to AS#3(km 15.5-28)

We ran along the lake a bit, and I took my headlamp off here, probably should have waited a bit, missed a couple stairs on one of the boardwalks and landed a bit awkwardly. A couple nice waterfalls here that were harder to see before, spring runoff right now. We head uphill again, up the trail that’s like a creek bed. A long climb here that’s too steep to run in places, under hydro lines, through the forest. Finally we come to the Diez Vistas trail. This is where it gets steep, up to 50% (according to Strava), there are a couple short runnable sections near the start. Then a lot of switchbacks. The good thing is the trail is well marked (thanks Gary!), usually I spend time trying to find the trail in places. He has us head up to the east lookout, where you can see Buntzen Lake. A few rocky parts are like climbing small cliffs. After the steep climb, you head along the ridge, the trail goes up and down. I catch up to one of the Albertans here, he’s not liking the technical trails, and is slowly picking his way down one of them. I tell him I’m slow on the technical too (I am), but that’s the last I see of him in the race. The ridge and the downhill take a long time, it’s a few kms of up and lots of steep down, that seems like it’s made for mountain goats. I hit my knee on a boulder a one point, but no falls or slipping out. Lots of roots and wet slippery rock here. I start to run out of water here, we’re past the 5 hour point around the 25km point (my watch wasn’t 100% accurate), lots of slow trails, and I used a lot of fluids here. I had a cliff bar as some point here. Finally we come out the bottom of the trail, and onto a fireroad. We head across a cable bridge, the a km or so along a road to the next aid station. Out and back, so see a few people I know, they about 2 km ahead of me at this point. There was a water station in between, but seemed like a long ways between stations. I have half a banana, and some potatoes here, and another gel.

AS#2 to AS#3(km 28-37)

This section is much easier after all the climbing and technical, we head back along the gravel road, and over the cable bridge, and continue along the lake. Lots of up and down, but not a lot of climbing. This is one of the easier sections. A runner passes me, going like a bat out of hell, I realize it’s the 50k leader. They start 4 hours after us, but don’t run the first 15.5km. The guy was flying! Eventually we come out on a road along the lake, cross a floating bridge. We go up and down a few small hills. A few more 50k guys pass me here, as we head down into the next aid station. First drop bag here, I load up on more bars and gels. I had bonk breaker bar at one point, I think along the last section. I have more aid station food here, don’t change any clothes. I stick my jacket in my pack at this point, since the day is warming up.

AS#3 to AS#4 (km 37-44)

This time we run along the other side of the lake. I stop for a bathroom break here, probably a couple minutes. Race started so early, was hard to eat breakfast early enough. The trail is a lot more groomed, normally I could run the whole thing, but walk the short steep climbs. After following the lake for a few kms, we head back along the road above the lake. A bit of run walk here, pass the marathon distance around 7 hours. I pick landmarks along the road to run to on the smaller hills, then walked a bit here and there. We turned off the road after a couple kms, then followed some powerlines. A lot of this was runnable, and it was all short grass. A few more 50k runners passed me here. We cut down on a trail, for a short distance, then come out at the next aid station. Had some potatoes and bananas here, this is when I start to feel queasy. I’m having a hard time taking gels

AS#4 to AS#5 (km 44-51)

We climb almost right away here back up to the power lines. It’s a nice smooth trail through the forest. More fast 50k runners pass me here, and I see 100k runners heading back towards me. Get a little tired of saying good job, but want to be friendly nonetheless. Under the power lines again is where I should be able to do a bit more running, but end up walking more than I’d like here due to my queasy stomach. Probably losing a couple minutes per km by walking some these easier parts. There’s a fairly big climb here, but it’s mostly gradual. The surface is a little rocky, so always picking out a good route. You hit the top of the climb, then down a steeper section of road to the aid station. Pretty big aid station here, with soup, burgers and grilled cheese sandwiches. I have a cup of soup and a couple small cheese sandwiches. This seems to help my stomach, but it’s still not great. I think I spent a good 5 minutes here, mostly just trying to find something good for my stomach. I hit the 50km mark just under 8h30, I was hoping to hit 8 hours, which I think without stomach problems may have been doable. I wanted a bit of buffer for later on with the cutoffs.

AS#5 to AS#6 (km 51-58)

Back up the hill towards the summit, lots of runners here, talk to a few 50k runners here as they pass me. Still having problems eating, drinking as much as I can stomach here, but feel nauseated here. Run a few of the downhill sections, but not as fast as I would. The route here is almost the same as the way out. Finally reach the trail, and head back down into the forest. Some nice singletrack here, that weaves back and forth. Take a different turn, and head down and across a couple roads. Along a gravel road and to the next aid station. This one is run by the Buntzen Burners, I ran with them once, so recognize a few people. Really fun aid station, they offer me a chair, which I decline. Have a couple more cups of soup here, and some small grill cheese sandwiches, a half banana and some potatoes. Stomach is still off though.

AS#6 to AS#7 (km 58-64)

I know there’s a big climb here, trail is called ‘FU George’, it has some steep sections, and a couple runnable bits. See some 100k runners here that are already on the second lap (the laps are kind of uneven). Seems to take a long time this climb, and I have to make the next aid station by 3pm. My stomach isn’t improving, and I’m having a difficult time contemplating finishing the race. I don’t know if this is my mind playing tricks on me or not. I feel like I’m bonking a bit, not taking in enough calories. Make it to the top of the climb, then head back down towards Sasamat lake. This is mostly downhill, and a lot of the 50k runners are finishing, so going much faster than I am. A few parts of the trail are like a creek here, so your feet get soaked, for the second or third time here. Lots of rolling rocks here. I see a couple people I know here, I tell them how I’m feeling, and they encourage me to try and make the cut, and see how far I can make it. Shortly after, we cross a road, and back along Sasamat Lake to the start/finish area. They direct me along the trail that goes by the finish and the bbq area. It’s tough to see all these people finishing! I have to ask where the aid station is, it’s just up the road (same as AS#2). I have around 10 minutes to cutoff, so fill bottles, and grab a bit of food (not enough!). I ask if the trail goes around the lake again, they don’t see to know at the aid station (it does).

AS#7 to AS#8 (km 64-74)

This part is flat and runnable, so good to make up a bit of time. I have 2 hours to get to the next aid station, which seems like lots of time for 10km. It’s a big climb and I’m bonking a bit here. Super slow going up this time. I see a 50k runner I know around here, and he’s on target for a huge PR, gives me some encouragement. A 100k runner passes me, and is just gone, he came into the last station around the same time, said the ginger ale fixed his stomach issues. I finally come to the top of ‘FU George’, at least this time it’s down. I pass a 100k runner on this section, I ask her if she’s alright, she’s limping a bit. I see another 100k runner, I recognize him from the Buntzen Burners, he says his leg is seized, he can’t bend it at all. He’s still laughing and smiling, says he’s going to drop at the bottom. At the bottom of the trail, you pass by an aid station, but you aren’t allowed to stop there. They give me encouragement as I run by. Cross the same roads again, up a few trails and out at the next aid station, with about 15 minutes to spare. I take some more soup here, and I think it’s finally starting to work. I’m thinking of dropping here, but with some convincing, I continue to the next aid station. They say it’s mostly flat (it’s not), and I only have an hour for 8km.

AS#8 to AS#9 (km 74-82)

I’m running better here, but am fairly certain I’m not going to make the next cut. Still feeling low energy, but running more than I was. There are still course marshals out, and I tell them that I may be the last runner. One of them takes my picture, she says she took everyone’s pic. Super enthusiastic, and they give me a little boost. I As I get closer to the aid station, I start to feel better, but my watch hits 14 hours just as I enter the park at Belcarra. At this point another runner passes me, it’s the woman that was hobbling down the hill. I ask her about her leg, I thought maybe she sprained her ankle, she says it’s her AT. We  jog into the aid station about the same time, missed cutoff by 4 or 5 minutes. I’m not sure I could have made it to the next station even if I had made cutoff, it would have been tight too. And to hit 18 hours would have been hard as well, the last 11km is over Diez Vistas the opposite direction, and mostly would have been in the dark. I get a ride back to the start, not the end I was hoping for but it could have worse!

Post Mortem

Still trying to figure out what went wrong, and when. So much can go wrong in these long races. This is my first attempt at 100k, and it’s not an easy course. Cutoff would have been ample under normal circumstances. I think hydration might have been an issue, and I have to work on finding something that works better for my stomach. The same foods that worked on my training runs didn’t work in a race this long. I’ve done 2 50 milers before, and this race, so mostly 50k or less, nutrition seems different as you go longer, so looks like I still have a lot learn. 14h05m is my fastest 50 mile time, so even though I didn’t make the cut, I accomplished something. I don’t feel so sore today, so it feels like I’ll recover quickly. I rolled my ankle at one point, but it doesn’t feel serious, so glad to get through it injury free. I felt okay at the end once my stomach started to come around, and probably could have continued after some proper food, would have been a struggle though. I heard this distance may not continue at this race, so might not get a chance at redemption. I feel like I’ll get the 100k distance at some point, I think I’ll feel more confident next time, and maybe will pick an easier course

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

GC100k

Great report, thanks. Bummer on the DNF, but it was a tight cutoff and you gave it a good shot.

dhuffman63

Trails

Sorry about the DNF.  I got my first at a 50k due to back spasms and had to quit at 24 miles.  I loved reading your report.  The detail was fantastic.  I learn so much from RR's.  Thank you.

drock69

thanks GC100 and dhuffman! I knew I'd get my first DNF at some point, especially when you move up to longer distances. Feel like I'm going to recover faster than my last 2 50 milers, so feel good about how the rest of the season will go

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Wow, that was a tough day.  Sounded like a tough course for a 100k too.  Interesting about your observations on what you eat in training and shorter races vs the longer ones.  Glad you stuck it out until the cutoff caught you.  Nice write-up.  Thanks for sharing.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

RWD

I'm sad to hear about this. Congratulations on your tenacity to continue until you were yanked off the course, and on your unofficial 50M PR!

A couple observations/questions:

1. Bananas always make me feel like crap when running so this is just making me queasy to read.

2. Did you have the chance to have any mints? I always carry some wintergreen lifesavers or altoids with me.

3. Did you have any pop? I might have missed it but it didn't look like you had any carbonated beverages. I get that you are so healthy you eat hemp hearts, but carbonation is magic, my friend. MAGIC. If you're nauseated that long but you're not throwing up, burping helps. If you cannot have pop for a medical reason then please disregard.

berylrunner

Rick

Thanks for the report Drock.  Sorry about the DNF.  I didn't notice any errors.  I thought your training from the training thread was solid.  Just a rough course and slick conditions.  I can't offer any suggestions on the stomach issues as I am yet to experience any.  Maybe some minor discomfort sometimes.  Maybe less is better?  Salt tabs and electrolytes?  I have found them unnecessary in cooler temperatures.

The race sounds really nice.  Kind of an odd format with the 100k, the extra loop for mileage, getting close to an aid station but not allowed in?  Reasons for cancelling the 100k?  Permitting, demand, time restraints?

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

drock69

Bert-o - thanks!

RWD - Thanks! I was going to have some ginger ale, but didn't, the soup was helping, I think the warmth. I had some ginger chews, but it felt like it was too late to try them. Bananas seemed fine, it was the sugary gels I couldn't take, so not sure ginger ale would have helped. Another guy was having issues, took ginger ale at 51km, was just behind me at 64km, and took off like a rocket up the hill, so could have helped. Still learning, only 3rd time running 50 miles, so lots to learn about longer distance stuff. Felt like if I'd had more time I could have worked through it, but was nervous to continue without eating enough, thinking that I would bonk big time

berylrunner - thanks! Yeah, I didn't think I'd need salt tabs or electrolytes, since it was barely above 60f at the hottest, just took a salt tab to see if it would make a difference. I think it's to do with permitting and interest in the 100k that it won't continue. They have to open the parking lot at 2am and close it at midnight, normally it's 7am to midnight. Getting volunteers out that early/late is difficult too for a race with 100 people (only 55 finished). I hope it continues, would like to give it another shot, even though I don't really like double loops, even though you go the reverse direction. There's a Whistler 110k race, it has a 28 hour cutoff, I think it's nearly 18k feet of vert though, sold out this year anyways. I'm concentrating on Squamish 50/50 next, so think I learned a lot from at least completing a hard 50 miles early in the season

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Drock, thanks for the report. man your memory for details is fantastic! i thought your training was good also. dont be hard on yourself. it sounds like one of those Canada races! i mean like Squamish 50M runs like a 100k down here. come down here and do some races, i bet it'll make you feel better! Smile

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

drock69

Thanks FunkyHD! I don't feel like I'm being too hard on myself, I guess it could come off that way. I thought this course was easier than Squamish, the vertical for the distance is identical though, and part of the trail is harder than anything in Squamish, besides maybe part of the entrails decent. There's a lot of runnable course though too. I might travel for a hundred miler, I've seen some people do Javelina Jundred, looks more like a party than a race though

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

drock69

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

RWD

https://brianmccurdyphotography.smugmug.com/Diez-Vista-2018/i-nBCPkNh/A

pic from the race, around 40km/25mi

Sorry you had such boring, ugly surroundings...

drock69

RWD - seen one tree you've seen them all Wink Some really nice views, even though I've been running there a lot lately, the time did seem to go by quickly, for the most part

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

dhuffman63

Trails

Wow and I thought the views at the Hawk in Lawrence, KS were nice.  I need to move.

Thanks for the RR!  82k is pretty darn impressive on a tough course like that.  It sounds like your legs weren't feeling too beat up afterwards and could have gone the distance no problem, so that's a positive.  I think you're right that >50 miles is a different animal when it comes to nutrition, but I'm not sure how people determine what will work at those distances since training runs aren't going to be that long.  Maybe it's just trial and error?  Some things that seem to work when stomachs go bad, based on what I've seen at aid stations: broth, rice, ginger ale, coke, watermelon.  Not all at once.  

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR