Ultra Runners

Umstead 100 (Read 893 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Smalcolm, I have started looking at the 100s on the calendar later in the year...any advice?  With family/work, it is best if I can stay in my general region of the country.

Trent,

A few people I know did the Arkansas traveler 100 last October.  This year it's on 10/1 and I think fairly close for you.

http://www.runarkansas.com/AT100.htm

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks.  That one is not too far, though it does look somewhat challenging.  Hmmm...

Thanks.  That one is not too far, though it does look somewhat challenging.  Hmmm...

I think any 100 is going to be challenging, however I actually thought this one looked like one of the easier 100's out there.  

12,000 ft elevation gain, (high point of only 1884') lot's of aid stations, Good running surface (Surface: 71m dirt roads, 20m jeep trails, 8m single-track trails & 1 m paved roads)  etc.

Imminent Catastrophe

I've heard good things about Javelina Jundred. It's not close but you could maybe turn it into a mini-vacation.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Seems like a lot of people I know around here are doing Javelina as their first. Pinhoti is kinda closeish.

My opinion is you should find one you really think you will like and not worry about the difficulty. In some ways I think a mountain 100 is easier than a flatish 100.

~Sara
              It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Carl A

This year is just getting going.

Here's a popular list of 100s that includes the states they're in:

http://www.run100s.com/ultra.htm

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Imminent Catastrophe

I forgot about Pinhoti. Not an easy one but it's developing quite a loyal following around here.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

In some ways I think a mountain 100 is easier than a flatish 100.

In what ways?

(I have done neither yet but plan on doing both by the end of this year and I am much more terrified of the mountain 100) 

In what ways?

(I have done neither yet but plan on doing both by the end of this year and I am much more terrified of the mountain 100) 

I have only done a mountain 100, but I can compare a flat 50 to a mountain 50. More hiking when there are mountains and varied terrain means you are using your muscles differently (less repetitive motion so you aren't using the same muscles in the same way all the time). Also generally better scenery in the mountains. Plus you have the downhill to look forward too. Smile

~Sara
                      It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

xor

Well I can't count to 100, but the downhills in the hard 50s scare me.  This may explain a lot about why I'm slow.

Smalcolm, do you consider WP12 to be flattish, or were you thinking of something else?

Smalcolm, do you consider WP12 to be flattish, or were you thinking of something else?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of.

~Sara

Seems like a lot of people I know around here are doing Javelina as their first. Pinhoti is kinda closeish.

My opinion is you should find one you really think you will like and not worry about the difficulty. In some ways I think a mountain 100 is easier than a flatish 100.

I agree... the thought of actually having to RUN 100 miles kinda scares me.  At least w/ the mountain 100s, it's 30-40 miles of running interspersed with some nice scenic hiking.  Smile

Imminent Catastrophe

What's WP12?

What's WP12?

A 12 hour run here (Watershed Preserve 12 hour). 5ish mile loops on wide, dirt horse trails. I don't know what the gain is per loop, but it's not much at all.

~Sara