Ultra Runners

Umstead 100 (Read 893 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

He won't have to worry about any competitions from me.

- most flatulent?

- curliest hair?

- fastest troll?

GO TRENT!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

C-R

Good luck Trent. There's beer waiting for you (you know where)

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Go Trent GO!!! Have fun out there.

~Sara
        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

xor

Thumbstead upstead?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I had a good race, with perfect pacing for goal, good nutrition and good hydration. I had tremendous support from a good crew. I held myself well together and was having fun, without any low spots.

However, at mile 45 the combination of a sinus infection I have been nursing, the hot humidity of the day, and the early Spring pollen triggered a fairly substantial asthma flare. I got back to the race headquarters at mile 50. I took some medicine and tried to see if I could heal my lungs. I picked up my pacer and we went out on a 5th loop. But my chest never cleared and respiratory failure is not something wise to push through. So when I finished that loop, just over 100k, I called it a day.

50 mile PR, longest distance run to date, fairly even pacing, and my legs feel good here 2 days later. And I got to go to bed before the big electric storm rolled in. With health and training, I should be able to grab that 100 mile belt buckle, and I wonder if I was on pace for a 24 hour finish before my chest caved.

Umstead is a great run too. A number of local Nashville folk have done well there over the years, including a couple this year. I may go back...

xor

Yeah. If you can't breathe, you can't run. 

Welcome to my club of 60 mile 100 miler wannabes.  We can have a tea party and swap electric storm stories.

It is excellent to hear that you feel good a couple days later.  try again! 

Was the electric storm cool?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, try again. Which one do you good peeps suggest?

Electric storms are always cool when viewed from the dry comfort of a hotel room.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Which one do you good peeps suggest?

Ever run in Colorado?

Wink

Kalsarikännit

Yeah, try again. Which one do you good peeps suggest?

Heartland in October.  

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

Best Present Ever

Grindstone is one that folks around my parts talk about.  

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Heartland in October.  

Hmmmm.....

Thant weekend is currently open...

Cripes.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This weekend is NOT free. Got a bat mitzvah I gotta go to.  Heh.

Kalsarikännit

I think the idea of a 6 pm start is really interesting.  It would be nice to get the dark running out of the way.  It would be a rough intro to 100's, though.

Here is Craig Thornley's race report.

Kalsarikännit

Hmmmm.....

Thant weekend is currently open...

Cripes.

YAY!  Just put your "X" on the line.

Two thoughts:  1.  It is a month before Monkey.  Boom.  You got your long run in.  (Not that you can train for Monkey.)  2.  The belt buckle looks pretty.  I still can't find a good reason for doing a 100, other than for the buckle.

Also, it is $120.  That's cheaper than a big city marathon.