Ultra Runners

What's your goal race for 2014? (Read 135 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I somehow got it in my head to attempt my first ultra next year (assuming my first marathon in less than two weeks goes well!).  A few of the races I'm looking into (maybe) doing:

Promise Land 50k++ (Virginia; April)

Bull Run Run 50-mile (Virginia; April 12, 2014)

Iron Mountain Trail Run (30 or 50 mi.; Virginia; August?)

JFK 50 mile (Maryland; October)

Mountain Masochist Trail Run (50 mi.; Virginia; November)

Table Rock Ultras (50 mi. or 50k; North Carolina; December)

Seashore Nature Trail 50K (Virginia; December)

The Promise Land 50k, I think, seems to be the best bet for a first-timer in my area.  The course doesn't look to be crazy-difficult (although anything in the mountains isn't going to present a training challenge to someone who might have to use the nearest interstate overpass to do any hill training) and it's not in the dead of winter.  I suppose it helps that this is one of David Horton's races so I know it is well-organized.  After that, the Seashore Nature Trail 50K is the most conveniently-located for me, the course is comparatively easy, and I'd be able to get at least some training runs done on the course itself.

Does anyone happen to have any experience with any of these?

Have you considered a timed race like a 12-hour or 24-hour run or even a 6-hour if you're fast enough? There's no worries about a cutoff time and no pressure to cover a set distance other than more than the marathon distance for it to be an ultra.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I've never trained to RACE a marathon before. It seems miserable.

Me either.  All that road running and speedwork and marathon paced runs sound miserable to me too. I'm still debating whether or not I can die a happy runner never knowing what I was capable of racing a marathon in.  I think I'll be okay with it.

My goal race for 2014 involves being pain free.

Running is dumb.

pcaharrier

Have you considered a timed race like a 12-hour or 24-hour run or even a 6-hour if you're fast enough? There's no worries about a cutoff time and no pressure to cover a set distance other than more than the marathon distance for it to be an ultra.

Actually, I hadn't considered a timed race, but I do know of one.  Next April there's the Virginia 24 Hour Run/Walk for Cancer that benefits the American Cancer Society and it's within an hour's drive.  I believe they use a 3.75 mile loop on a flat nature trail.  Perhaps that would make a for good first attempt.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Actually, I hadn't considered a timed race, but I do know of one.  Next April there's the Virginia 24 Hour Run/Walk for Cancer that benefits the American Cancer Society and it's within an hour's drive.  I believe they use a 3.75 mile loop on a flat nature trail.  Perhaps that would make a for good first attempt.

I entered the North Coast 24 12-Hour Run as my first. I thought it was ideal as an introduction to ultras: a short loop so aid stations were frequent, help was never far away, after a couple laps there were always other runners near, and no pressure to meet a cutoff time or reach a finish line when the smart choice would be to stop.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Runnerman Dan

Purveyor of peace & love

WG, I'd love too but  I'm already signed up to race Disney Marathon Jan 12.  That and I really feel like I need 3-4 months of solid training  to race the 100.  I will gladly take volunteers to pace me at Kettle though.  Big grin

I should be available to pace at Kettle...

NNutr

I ran Iron Mountain in 2012.  Great race & a Great Price.  Make sure to do the Iron Man/woman challange at the end.

I somehow got it in my head to attempt my first ultra next year (assuming my first marathon in less than two weeks goes well!).  A few of the races I'm looking into (maybe) doing:

Promise Land 50k++ (Virginia; April)

Bull Run Run 50-mile (Virginia; April 12, 2014)

Iron Mountain Trail Run (30 or 50 mi.; Virginia; August?)

JFK 50 mile (Maryland; October)

Mountain Masochist Trail Run (50 mi.; Virginia; November)

Table Rock Ultras (50 mi. or 50k; North Carolina; December)

Seashore Nature Trail 50K (Virginia; December)

The Promise Land 50k, I think, seems to be the best bet for a first-timer in my area.  The course doesn't look to be crazy-difficult (although anything in the mountains isn't going to present a training challenge to someone who might have to use the nearest interstate overpass to do any hill training) and it's not in the dead of winter.  I suppose it helps that this is one of David Horton's races so I know it is well-organized.  After that, the Seashore Nature Trail 50K is the most conveniently-located for me, the course is comparatively easy, and I'd be able to get at least some training runs done on the course itself.

Does anyone happen to have any experience with any of these?

Imminent Catastrophe

I'll enter the WS100 lottery too but unless I get some BHearn luck I'm not expecting that to happen. So it's TRT100, gunning for that sub-30 buckle after a less than stellar finish this year. Love that race. Unfortunately TRT has gone to a lottery this year and, given my poor track-record in lotteries, Bryce is a backup, it looks really nice. Actually if I get into WS I'll have mixed feelings for missing Tahoe.

Maybe I'll run a Fall 100 too, Javelina or Pinhoti.

Oh, and Boston and NYCM.

MTA: JFK50 is the only one I've done. It's a one-of-a-kind race with the Appalachian Trail section, the towpath, then the road finish. And huge. And expensive. It's worth doing, once, and fairly fast.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Stone mill 50 miler, in 10 days..Shocked

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

-- I recommend this race.  They have 200 spots available, and last year they filled the race up, which is rare for a 24 hr event.  Since it's on a 3.75 mile loop, everyone spreads out nicely, and at the same time, lots of good folks out there also.  There's just something neat about trying to see how far you can travel in a 24 hour timeframe.  (2014 will be my 3rd attempt at this race, hopefully I hit 100 this year for the first time...)

I've done the Seashore Nature trail 50K race also and I recommend that one as well.  It usually fills up at the 300 cap about 1 month out from race date.  Scenic trails, there are some ups and downs, some wooden bridges, etc, but as most 50K races go, it is mostly flat and makes for a great PR race for many folks.   The aid stops are about every 4 miles or so, which works out great.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Mmmmm...beer

-- I recommend this race.  They have 200 spots available, and last year they filled the race up, which is rare for a 24 hr event.  Since it's on a 3.75 mile loop, everyone spreads out nicely, and at the same time, lots of good folks out there also.  There's just something neat about trying to see how far you can travel in a 24 hour timeframe.  (2014 will be my 3rd attempt at this race, hopefully I hit 100 this year for the first time...)

I've done the Seashore Nature trail 50K race also and I recommend that one as well.  It usually fills up at the 300 cap about 1 month out from race date.  Scenic trails, there are some ups and downs, some wooden bridges, etc, but as most 50K races go, it is mostly flat and makes for a great PR race for many folks.   The aid stops are about every 4 miles or so, which works out great.

Hey Kris!  I'm gonna be doing both of those next year, and I guess they're both goal races for me.  It'll be my first 24hr race, so I'm curious to see how far my legs can go before they give up, and I'll be running the 50k for time next year, just gonna take it easy next weekend.  Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

TripleBock

I have given up on goals, so my goal is to get back into enough shape to finish a few races - I have 3 I would like to finish in the 1st half of the year - Not goal races as the goal is to finish and feel like drinking beer after the race.

*  Mad City 100k

*  Ice Age 50M

*  Kettle 100M (Maybe)

I am not looking to stray far from home.

Currently I am injured and fat and I am not sure if I will be running in 2014 ... But if things take a turn for the better

* Enter WS100 lottery

* Mad City 100k National Championship Race

* FANS24 hour race

If things stay the same or take a turn for the worse, the only foot race I will do in 2014 is Dances With Dirt - Devils Lake 10k with my DD#1.

Things are leaning toward no ultra races in 2014.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

GoldmanGolfer13

My goal race for 2014 is the Black Hills 50 mile. I plan on running the Chippewa 50k in April as a tune up and incentive to keep my mileage up through the Minnesota Winter.

bhearn

It's in my sig. Yes, I am already in for Western States, for the second time in three years. You may hate me.

2:55 at Napa is looking less and less likely. Ideally I'd be back to 60ish mpw in a couple weeks to start training, and build from there. I'll be lucky if it's 15mpw.

Yeah, so Napa is officially out as a goal race. Today's checkup ultrasound of the hamstring tendons shows I need another round of PRP. Dammit. 

Kalsarikännit

Yeah, so Napa is officially out as a goal race. Today's checkup ultrasound of the hamstring tendons shows I need another round of PRP. Dammit. 

I'm sorry.

Are you registered for Umstead as well?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bhearn

Yeah. Which is one reason Boston (three weeks later) isn't planned as a goal race -- the other reason being that I don't want to distract from WS training. But now I don't have a goal marathon next year… will have to be fall, I guess.

Umstead is supposed to be a training run for WS. But I would still like to run under 20, which I haven't yet. I still have to find a 50Kish training run for Umstead.

MTA funny thing… this year I PRed at Boston three weeks after running 74 miles at a 12-hour race. Which I would never have run then if I hadn't already given up on Boston as a goal race.